IGNORED

Text Minikernel

Karl G

That's perfect!! I just can't explain what this means for this game!

Oh my god, this has just made everything possible I've wanted.

How many lines of text can I use?

You can do 21 lines unless the "extendedtxt" constant is set. See this post for details on that. I plan on releasing better documentation soon.

• Like 2

Version 0.6 is up. This version adds DPC+ kernel support, and the user's guide has been updated with instructions on how to use this minikernel with a DPC+ kernel. I've placed everything in a zip file, with DPC+ in its own subdirectory, and added it to the first post.

Here's a hacked version of RT's 13-object demo using the text minikernel to show what object is currently selected.

• Like 6

Version 0.6 is up. This version adds DPC+ kernel support, and the user's guide has been updated with instructions on how to use this minikernel with a DPC+ kernel. I've placed everything in a zip file, with DPC+ in its own subdirectory, and added it to the first post.
Here's a hacked version of RT's 13-object demo using the text minikernel to show what object is currently selected.

If I am not using DPC, is there any benefit to upgrading the version? Thank you.

Great! looking forward to trying this out.

If you aren't using DPC+, the only thing different in this version is the fix to clear out the NUSIZx registers before exiting the minikernel.

As for the text positioning being slightly off-center, the short answer is that the text minikernel lines up with the bB score, which is also slightly off-center.

The longer answer is that I do this not just so that it will look better paired with bB's score (though this is a good reason, too), but also to save lines, and therefore processing time by doing the positioning code for the sprites that make up both the score and the minikernel only once. bB's score code is famously a bit off-center, and it wasn't until I started to dig into the code myself that I understood why: it has to do with the timing needed to also display the pfscore bars.

• Like 2