IGNORED

Saturn Troubles

Inky

Not sure where else to post this, so I'l put it here...

I have a Sega Saturn that was given to me. No controllers, cables, games, anything. I've been trying to get it working to no avail. I have an AV cable and a power cord and a controller. When I power the device on, the left direction on the controller doesn't work. I've replaced the carbon pads inside, as well as the controller board in the Saturn to no avail. I don't have any other accessories.Any ideas?

Any chance there's a problem with the plastic D-pad part? Does the controller work on another Saturn? If so, that would seemingly narrow the issue down to the controller port.

Quick fix is a replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Controller-Port-Assembly-Type-B-Genuine-Replacement-Part-JAPAN/143073309360

But you could probably first inspect the board and make sure that there aren't any cold/cracked solder joints and maybe resurrect it quickly.

Any chance there's a problem with the plastic D-pad part? Does the controller work on another Saturn? If so, that would seemingly narrow the issue down to the controller port.

Quick fix is a replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Controller-Port-Assembly-Type-B-Genuine-Replacement-Part-JAPAN/143073309360

But you could probably first inspect the board and make sure that there aren't any cold/cracked solder joints and maybe resurrect it quickly.

I've replaced that board. I currently don't know of any other Saturn owners in my area, to where I can do more testing.

Ironically, that Ebay auction you linked to is where I bought my board from.

I've replaced that board. I currently don't know of any other Saturn owners in my area, to where I can do more testing.

Ironically, that Ebay auction you linked to is where I bought my board from.

OK I misunderstood. I thought you replaced the innards of the controller.

edit: and in that case, another controller looks like the only viable test.

Edited by derFunkenstein

OK. I just tried my controller in port 2, and still no left movement.

This is weird, because I swore that when I tested it at MGC last year that it didn't matter which controller was being used, it still wouldn't move to the left.

I have another controller on the way.

tried cleaning the connector (controller and console end)?

I agree with this. Definitely try cleaning the board. I had two SNES controllers where the Start button barely worked, I really had to jam on it. Took them apart and there was some sort of dark substance on them. Took a toothbrush to it and cleaned it up with some Isopropyl alcohol and it worked good as new.