IGNORED

Problem with expansion box

senior_falcon

It has been a number of years since I have used my real TI99. In getting it going again, I have been having problems communicating with the expansion box. I suspect that one of the wires in the "firehose" has broken because when I manipulate the cable just right then disk access is restored. I have tried re-seating the connector, which doesn't seem to do anything. But moving the wires around right where they come out of that giant connector and make a sharp bend back towards the PE box (right where a broken wire is most likely) can sometimes get things working again, but not for long. I remember coming to this same conclusion years ago when the computer was being difficult.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It has been a number of years since I have used my real TI99. In getting it going again, I have been having problems communicating with the expansion box. I suspect that one of the wires in the "firehose" has broken because when I manipulate the cable just right then disk access is restored. I have tried re-seating the connector, which doesn't seem to do anything. But moving the wires around right where they come out of that giant connector and make a sharp bend back towards the PE box (right where a broken wire is most likely) can sometimes get things working again, but not for long. I remember coming to this same conclusion years ago when the computer was being difficult.

Has anyone else experienced this?

No, I haven't experience that, but I have had to replace parts on the circuit board of the TI connector end. I have three, so I could spare one, but I haven't tested the other two in about 15 years, and right now I'm using my only working PEB for a problem with my SNUG TI-99/4P (no "fire hose" in use). I could send that one because it was in use a few months back. However, it may be the one I up-graded (for speed) years ago. I won't be testing them all for some time, but if you want to take the chance, I could send you one of the two spares or both, if one works return the other or both, if neither works return both.

Bill

• Like 1

No, I haven't experience that, but I have had to replace parts on the circuit board of the TI connector end. I have three, so I could spare one, but I haven't tested the other two in about 15 years, and right now I'm using my only working PEB for a problem with my SNUG TI-99/4P (no "fire hose" in use). I could send that one because it was in use a few months back. However, it may be the one I up-graded (for speed) years ago. I won't be testing them all for some time, but if you want to take the chance, I could send you one of the two spares or both, if one works return the other or both, if neither works return both.

Bill

That's very kind of you. I will take a close look at my cable over the weekend. Maybe there is a solder joint that needs attention, or if a wire is broken I might be able to remove a couple of inches of cable to eliminate the break. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

• Like 3

That's very kind of you. I will take a close look at my cable over the weekend. Maybe there is a solder joint that needs attention, or if a wire is broken I might be able to remove a couple of inches of cable to eliminate the break. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Yes you can, I have repaired a few cables by removing 1-2 inches then re-clamping it. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So you have seen this in the TI expansion box cable?

Yes, I received a PEB in the mail(not package well) where the rear corner landed on the cable

and cut into it about 6 in from the end. I simply removed the large connector, cut off about 7 in

and reconnected the cable. Just trim the outer black rubber to match the end of the original cable.

Here's what it looks like, the bottom one still with the cable attached. Just carefully release the

blue top part and peel the cable out from all the little teeth, then center the cable into the top blue

connector inside the small tabs and grooves. I use a small vice to push the blue part back down,

but you can use 2 small strips of wood and pliers. :)

post-31495-0-98001200-1548890129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 2

Thanks! That looks easy enough. I would do it tonight but it is too darn cold to go to the shop for the tools I need. Should be warmer this weekend.

You Canadians are probably laughing about what wimps we are in the states when a little cold weather sets in.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 5

You Canadians are probably laughing about what wimps we are in the states when a little cold weather sets in.

On the other hand, I'm way down near the bottom of the US, and your idea of warmer weather is my "too darn cold". Perhaps even "godforsaken niflheim."

So no laughing here.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks! That looks easy enough. I would do it tonight but it is too darn cold to go to the shop for the tools I need. Should be warmer this weekend.

I’m guessing plenty of Canadians live south of your neck of the woods. In Detroit they drive south to visit Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro