IGNORED

Jaguar CD problem, need opinions

Machine

So I bought a Jag CD from a local store. I was told the person who traded it in said it caused his Jaguar system to stop working. The person who sold it said they didn't know what was the problem, but he was told it "blew" his jaguar system. He also said the guy traded in just the Jag CD, nothing else. He also thought the guy who traded it in was kinda "lost" when it came to electronics.

I have not tried to hook it up to my system yet, but would love to see if it works. I do not want to wreck my Jaguar system, but I do have a replace Jaguar board that I bought on ebay a few years back.

My questions:

Does it make sense that the Jag CD could short out the Jaguar system itself? I want to hook up it, but before I do, just thought someone else might have more insight or opinions????

Not unless someone modified that edge card connector and soldered a bunch of pins together or something. The Jag CD is about the simplest console addon of all time, it's pretty much just a CD transport with a BIOS, there isn't a heck of a lot to go wrong. Well other than the cheap plastic and the fact the library is garbage...

• Like 2

Not unless someone modified that edge card connector and soldered a bunch of pins together or something. The Jag CD is about the simplest console addon of all time, it's pretty much just a CD transport with a BIOS, there isn't a heck of a lot to go wrong. Well other than the cheap plastic and the fact the library is garbage...

Was going to say something similar, it basically just acts as a passthrough, there's no way it could blow a system, unless whoever tested it was using the wrong power supply and blamed the CD for it. People who don't understand electronics, as you said, might have jammed any power connector into the Jag that fits and well we know how that turns out.

Ok, I will give it a shot in a few days. It came without a power supply, but for some reason I have an extra Jag power supply sitting in the closet. I may open the CD up so I can see if someone messed with it.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works. For $100, it's worth a shot.

Edited by Machine

Ok, I will give it a shot in a few days. It came without a power supply, but for some reason I have an extra Jag power supply sitting in the closet. I may open the CD up so I can see if someone messed with it.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works. For $100, it's worth a shot.

well, 3 basic things 2 check if you open it up...

Visually - look for anything strange, waterdamage, corrosssion, burnt chips, shorts etc

Smell - smell it, if your nose is half-decent (wine conneseurs should excel here), you can pick up on any burned chips.

Measure resistance on the power plug. If 0 the unit is dead.

If everything passes, connect it to your jag...

• Like 1

If you have a complete spare Jaguar PCB, you essentially have 2 Jaguars, just one is nakey ;)

I'd go with CJ's suggestion as a 1st port, plug it in unpowered, then it's essentially as much risk as plugging in a regular cart. You will get a "Power not connected" image on the screen, if you plug a regular cart into the top it should play the cart fine. That's pretty much testing the basics, if that works give it a whirl with power. IIRC from my poking around the PSU of the CD unit isn't connected to the cart pins anyway, there is a feed from the cart that turns on the CD unit's power when the jag is turned on (enables the 2 regulators in the system). I think it's only used for driving the CD electrickery (motors and stuff).

• Like 2

Yeah, I third the plug it in without power option. If it doesn't work, open it up and clean the edge connector/extension thingy on both ends. Actually I'd probably do that anyhow before even testing it. The Jag CD gets a bad rap for "failure" but as mentioned there is almost nothing to go wrong short of the transport dying.

• Like 1

I spent over an hour cleaning both cart slots on the Jag CD. The Jag CD system itself was extremely clean. I was shocked at how dirty the cart slot was.....looked like brown dirt or smokers residue, but it does not smell of smoke at all. Once I got it clean, I tried it w/o power plugged in. At first, the Jag would not even power on....which is weird. After cleaning it some more, I got the "power plug" screen you guys mentioned.

With a game plugged in, it wouldn't read it so I cleaned the uppper slot some more. That did the trick. I was able to boot a cart game up through the JagCD.

I am gonna spend some more time making sure both cart slots are totally clean then dig out the power supply. So far so good, thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

Machine, that was pretty much my experience with my Jag CD. Sold as "working" with a photo showing it playing a game, but it booted like one out of 20 attempts. Took it apart and there was a dead bug in the inside of the edge connector where it plugged into the CD's board. Cleaned the bejesus out of it (obviously) and have had zero issues. I believe a proper cleaning will solve the vast majority of issues folks run into with these devices. Good work!

• Like 2

Well, after some more cleaning, I now have a WORKING Jag CD! It boots up great on carts and CDs! Disc drive is extremely quiet.

Thanks for all the help! Now I need to go get some good Jaguar CD games.......from what I hear, should be a small list.

Pretty happy with my $100 gamble! :)

Edited by Machine
  • Like 6

Yeah, can't thank everyone for their advice and guidance enough!

Played with it for 15-20 minutes before I had to shut it off for a Super Bowl party. The game was sooooo boring, I would have had more fun messing around with the few CD games I picked up over the years.

Anyhow, thanks again everyone for your advice!

• Like 2

Now go hunt down copies of Battlemorph and Iron Soldier 2. I also enjoy Blue Lightning, Baldies, Primal Rage, and Vid Grid, but I'm in the minority there. Lots of fun homebrews on the Jag CD also.

I enjoy Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands, World Tour Racing, and Myst as well. Protector: RESURGENCE is awesome but it requires the Protector SE cart to play.

• Like 2