IGNORED

Another unreleased CV game found and preserved!

retroillucid

Copyrights are the same for everyone and thanks to disney, terms are longer than they use to be. You are certainly free to argue parody for your game; a judge will have the final say on fair use. A cease and desist letter is just a threat and not always fair or just.

The great thing about a cease and desist order is that by the time you get it, it's already been released.

Ikrananka... I garned most of the listins in the Unreleased section from years of stuff I had collected and then used various sources like the CV Faq and Digital Press to try to verify and or correct things.

Always meant to revisit this section, but never got around to it along with a lengthy list of other things i've scratched together from AtariAge and CV and ADAM Facebook pages. Work and family and all... five more years to retirement!!!

• Like 1

And what actual distribution does that retail flyer match, though? The home computer systems as indicated?

I was referring to the ColecoVision console, in which case I'm unaware of a self-distribution by Sydney.

Edited by mumbai

Ikrananka... I garned most of the listins in the Unreleased section from years of stuff I had collected and then used various sources like the CV Faq and Digital Press to try to verify and or correct things.

Always meant to revisit this section, but never got around to it along with a lengthy list of other things i've scratched together from AtariAge and CV and ADAM Facebook pages. Work and family and all... five more years to retirement!!!

Thanks NIAD. I'll see what info J-F has and will bounce it off of you before making any changes if that's okay.

And what actual distribution does that retail flyer match, though? The home computer systems as indicated?

I was referring to the ColecoVision console, in which case I'm unaware of a self-distribution by Sydney.

That's my interpretation too. Looks like Sydney used Coleco Canada to publish/distribute the ColecoVision version.

Evolution was created by independent programmers Sember and Mattrick. Sydney Developments was their publisher. "According to Williams, he helped Mattrick and Sember create Distinctive Software Inc. so that the pair could license the rights to Sydney Development for publication."

https://www.straight.com/article-198534/video-game-family-tree

Consider the colecovision version copublished by Coleco Canada and Sydney Developments. This is assuming the colecovision version was programmed by Sember and Mattrick and not a programmer at Sydney Develpments.

Evolution was created by independent programmers Sember and Mattrick. Sydney Developments was their publisher. "According to Williams, he helped Mattrick and Sember create Distinctive Software Inc. so that the pair could license the rights to Sydney Development for publication."

https://www.straight.com/article-198534/video-game-family-tree

Consider the colecovision version copublished by Coleco Canada and Sydney Developments. This is assuming the colecovision version was programmed by Sember and Mattrick and not a programmer at Sydney Develpments.

Well, the Collector's List already has Evolution as being co-published by both companies so I guess no change is needed.

I wonder if Sember and Mattrick were the ones to port Evolution to the ColecoVision or if someone else did?

Clearly Sydney had a hand in bringing Evolution to market, yet their role seems confined to that of a rights licensor (and potential co-developer) that handed the title off for material production and distribution by another party, at least in the case of the CV/A platform. I'd guess that deciding how far up the chain from final product one would count [co-]publisher status is a matter of opinion, but to me it looks like the weight in this case falls more heavily on Coleco (Canada) than Sydney.

Nice find on that brief article.

I wonder if Sember and Mattrick were the ones to port Evolution to the ColecoVision or if someone else did?

Good question. The write-up referenced by mr_me suggests the game began on the Apple platform. The packaging of the CV/A version of Evolution merely credits Sember and Mattrick as creators. The manual is altogether silent on any additional development specifics. It does declare Sydney to be a "major developer of computer games" etc., which is open to interpretation with respect to porting software they licensed, absent additional information.

Edited by mumbai

The original game would have been programmed on apple ii computers their parents bought them. What would a colecovision development system consist of in 1983?

The cv evolution instructions has Sydney Development info but nothing about coleco canada. The back of the box features them equally.

https://archive.org/details/Evolution_1983_Coleco_a/page/n3

Edited by mr_me

youki, on 13 Feb 2019 - 4:46 PM, said:snapback.png

Full games have been found and dumped???? The only dump i'm aware of are not at all full game and far to be... :(

Just a question , the game in question , is it a good game? Or something more average?

Examples?
Not sure I understand

Looks like a very average game, but it ends up being alot of fun :)

I said that Power lord , Fall Guy and Porkys dumps were not full complete games as far i know.

I don't want to beat this dead horse but when I am going over my long list of candidates for my next game I was thinking Fix it Felix Jr. Possible or not.

So I wanted to get the specs of the game thinking it would have been 8 bit patterns etc.

Well this came up for sale;

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Felix-Jr-Genesis-Homebrew-Collectors/dp/B0176Y7AIW

So this guy is selling a homebrew of a Disney Title.

As per the dead horse. Is there a guide anywhere concerning Hombrew titles because we had a subtle debate over Smurfs and other copywrited material.

I will leave it at that and eagerly await the release of the mystery rom but being this was the thread all of that came up I just wanted to get anyone's input.

Hopefully Retroillucid is playing games with his hint re. Wiz and the Sydney vs. Sierra discussion and the actual game that was acquired is....

Wizard of Oz by Coleco

I know, fat chance and it's probably The Wizard of Id's Adventure because the other Wiz games are or, if they were developed, geared towards use on computers.

I don't want to beat this dead horse but when I am going over my long list of candidates for my next game I was thinking Fix it Felix Jr. Possible or not.

So I wanted to get the specs of the game thinking it would have been 8 bit patterns etc.

As per the dead horse. Is there a guide anywhere concerning Hombrew titles because we had a subtle debate over Smurfs and other copywrited material.

I will leave it at that and eagerly await the release of the mystery rom but being this was the thread all of that came up I just wanted to get anyone's input.

If you're looking for a "how to infringe trademarks and copyright without getting sued guide", there's a discussion over here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/58469-list-of-taboo-trademarks/page-1

They did a good job on the label. First, someone who cares has to realize that it's not one of the 700+ retail titles.

Hopefully Retroillucid is playing games with his hint re. Wiz and the Sydney vs. Sierra discussion and the actual game that was acquired is....

Wizard of Oz by Coleco

I know, fat chance and it's probably The Wizard of Id's Adventure because the other Wiz games are or, if they were developed, geared towards use on computers.

;)

It's not Wizard of Oz or Id's

;)

It's not Wizard of Oz or Id's

Well, you led us down a road with some of your hints, so it's one of the other Sydney games in the list that I can't recall the names to right now or it is....

WIZARD OF WOR

Nevermind, it's not WoW because that is not an obscure game.

Edited by NIAD