IGNORED

Another unreleased CV game found and preserved!

retroillucid

9 minutes ago, Dutch Colecovision Fan said:

Is there an European collector who got this game in time? Sending the news at 11.21pm when I am already asleep isn't quite fair.

I received an e-mail yesterday at night. And today, at 8:30 am, I had a chance to order a copy. At that time there were just 2 copies left. Germany.

7 hours ago, Bomberman93 said:

I received an e-mail yesterday at night. And today, at 8:30 am, I had a chance to order a copy. At that time there were just 2 copies left. Germany.

Lucky you. It's my first week of my holiday so I want to sleep in too for once. And believe me I really need it.

If someone thinks that I follow the news from Collectorvision here at Atariage that is correct. I do that recently, but somehow the settings were incorrect. The options for notification / email from the persons I follow were turned off. Which doesn't mean I would have heard it in time. The phone goes in the silent mode at night. But I guess that more members of the club have been disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I just received my copy in the mail! Awesome job, as usual. I just wish you had been able to score some '80s photographs of kids "enjoying" this game while their parents toured Gentilly or Pickering or Point Lepreau. I am seriously tempted to write to the latter two generating stations (on a dot-matrix printer) to ask them if they can provide me with any. 

Recently got my copy and as usual an awesome job by the CollectorVision team.  Huge thanks to all involved and to Toby for finding it in the first place.

An interesting thing I noticed after dumping the cart (the rom is only 16KB by the way), is that it contains the text "copyright (C) 1983" but this doesn't appear to ever be displayed on-screen by the program!!!

I do have one (or two) question(s).  Does anyone know if this was originally published by Sydney, or was it more likely Coleco (Canada)?  Was Sydney just a games developer or did they also get involved in cart production and distribution?

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, Psionic said:

Energy Quiz looks and sounds exactly like a game by Sydney that was supposedly called Power Grabber.  The only known copy was auctioned on the Digital Press forums and purchased by Will Berdan years ago.  These seem to be the exact same game, but is this in fact the same cartridge?  Or did this copy come from another source?

It's interesting that the Digital Press description for Energy Quiz has it spelt "Energy Quizz", i.e. with an extra "z".  Their description even emphasises that is how it's spelt on the prototype that was found.  And yet, the title screen for the CollectorVision release is spelt as "Energy Quiz".  I wonder if it was just the "prototype" cart label(s) that had it spelt incorrectly.  Would be great to see the non-redacted photo of the cart Toby has.

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

It's interesting that the Digital Press description for Energy Quiz has it spelt "Energy Quizz", i.e. with an extra "z".  Their description even emphasises that is how it's spelt on the prototype that was found.  And yet, the title screen for the CollectorVision release is spelt as "Energy Quiz".  I wonder if it was just the "prototype" cart label(s) that had it spelt incorrectly.  Would be great to see the non-redacted photo of the cart Toby has.

The label on the prototype cart doesn't have an extra ''z'' 
The date on the label read: 6/06/83

We're working on getting Power Grabber dumped and preserved
We should have more informations about it soon enough ;)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

I do have one (or two) question(s).  Does anyone know if this was originally published by Sydney, or was it more likely Coleco (Canada)?  Was Sydney just a games developer or did they also get involved in cart production and distribution?

It was developed by Sydney, for Coleco Canada

Sydney was going to release it on their own as ''Power Grabber'' 

13 hours ago, retroillucid said:

The label on the prototype cart doesn't have an extra ''z'' 
The date on the label read: 6/06/83

We're working on getting Power Grabber dumped and preserved
We should have more informations about it soon enough ;)

13 hours ago, retroillucid said:

It was developed by Sydney, for Coleco Canada

Sydney was going to release it on their own as ''Power Grabber'' 

Thanks for the info - much appreciated - I'll update the CV Collectors List accordingly.

Great news about Power Grabber.  Reading the story of the prototype that was sold was disheartening to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, Ikrananka said:

Was Sydney just a games developer or did they also get involved in cart production and distribution?

Sydney was mostly a producer of video games but sometimes a developer and/or publisher.  As I stated back on the last page, most if not all of Sydney's ColecoVision efforts were developed by Artech, a company which was started independently but was later purchased by Sydney.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, Bomberman93 said:

I played the game today the first time and figuerd out, when I use the controller of port 1, the player 2 is moving. And vice versa.

Played with a french CV, didn't checked with the Phoenix yet. 

Can anyone confirm this "bug"?

How strange - I get the same behaviour on an original NTSC ColecoVision.

• 3 months later...