IGNORED

Best-selling titles?

davidcalgary29

Jag sales are widely available, but has anyone seen comparables for Lynx titles? The only realistic numbers I've seen are for post-Atari releases:

Zaku: 1000

Wyvern Tales: 400+

Hotdog: 73? (Mr. Bland)

SainT's SD cart: 800+

Der Luchs has said that Weltenschlacter is the best-selling Lynx game.

Anyone know what Atari's biggest release was, or Telegames'? Id guess that it would be Desert Strike, as that thing is everywhere.

I found out some info earlier for this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284306-lynx-popularity-now/

According to sainT there's been sales of more than 800 flash carts (sainT kindly shared the info http://atariage.com/...rs/?p=4004805),and at that point Wyvern tales already had 400 sales when counting sold + the buyers list according to ninjabba.

But these three are probably by far the biggest sellers so far.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is Wyvern Tales still available?

This is amazing actually, very interesting. If 800 Lynx SD carts were sold, that means there are probably 2-3k or so active lynx players left in the world.

I'd be curious to know for each classic console how big the communities are. Very hard to quantify of course. But i bet for some smaller systems its in the hundreds and low thousands, which is crazy to consider.

Edited by travistouchdown

This is amazing actually, very interesting. If 800 Lynx SD carts were sold, that means there are probably 2-3k or so active lynx players left in the world.

I'd be curious to know for each classic console how big the communities are. Very hard to quantify of course. But i bet for some smaller systems its in the hundreds and low thousands, which is crazy to consider.

There must be huge overlap in the interest (over old computers and consoles), because I read that Lemon64 has 3-4k active users out of 16k registered users, and the c64 obviously was huge compared to the Lynx. But of course, why wouldn't there be overlap, I recently fell in love with the VIC-20 and Plus/4 in addition to the computers and consoles 'closest to my heart' like the Lynx and C64.

There must be huge overlap in the interest (over old computers and consoles), because I read that Lemon64 has 3-4k active users out of 16k registered users, and the c64 obviously was huge compared to the Lynx. But of course, why wouldn't there be overlap, I recently fell in love with the VIC-20 and Plus/4 in addition to the computers and consoles 'closest to my heart' like the Lynx and C64.

Well...I'm an active user of Lemon64 and purchase some new games for the 64 (really, just to support the C64 community), but I haven't actually turned mine on since 2004. I suspect that there are quite a few folks who will back a homebrew project on a wide array of systems but not actually fall into the definition of "active user" on most of them. In other words, new software sales may be a better gauge of how many people have access to the equipment -- not frequency of actual use.

• Like 1

During eJagfest it was nice to see that there is a lot of people who actually like to write new software and develop new hardware for retro computers.

Lemmings and Zarlor are the few titles that I find myself playing over and over again. Especially with the new McWill display. Not to talk about the few titles that I am play testing that have not been released yet ;)

• Like 1

Well...I'm an active user of Lemon64 and purchase some new games for the 64 (really, just to support the C64 community), but I haven't actually turned mine on since 2004. I suspect that there are quite a few folks who will back a homebrew project on a wide array of systems but not actually fall into the definition of "active user" on most of them. In other words, new software sales may be a better gauge of how many people have access to the equipment -- not frequency of actual use.

Absolutely! I think I had (have) a very loose definition for "active user" in my head where you would fit in (i.e. your c64 activity) :) Btw. I got my interest in the Lynx and other old computers/consoles reinvigorated by starting using real hardware again although it's usually a bit more of a hassle.

During eJagfest it was nice to see that there is a lot of people who actually like to write new software and develop new hardware for retro computers.

It's so amazing and so much fun to see how big a thing all this has become! :)

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

• 2 weeks later...