IGNORED

Signalman Anchor Automation Mark III T.I. 300-

GDMike

Hi, so I recently picked up this modem. It came in the original box and contained the modem, a coiled up cable with 4 conductor 4 pin rj9 ends on it, and the serial cable is internally connected and extends out of the modem. So I'm not sure of how to connect the phone cable. The directions say connect it to the base of a phone and manually dial and switch the modem data/voice switch to data after receiving signal. Number one, I don't have a phone with an rj9 Connector. The rj9 connector is the skinnier jack that you see on the handset portion of the phone. I was thinking of splicing into the existing coiled rj9 and converting one end to rj11. Does anyone know what that pin-out would look like? Since there are 4 wires on that coiled rj9 I'm not sure if I could wire it straight through, but I think there are 6 wires on a rj11. The picture of the cable connectors are showing the RJ9 and an RJ11 next to each other not that the RJ11 came in the package, it's just used as a reference. I figured I could plug the modified cable into a phone outlet and dial with a cordless phone on another but same line?

post-63012-0-73012400-1548833044_thumb.jpg

post-63012-0-30509600-1548833094_thumb.jpg

post-63012-0-85253100-1548833348_thumb.jpg

Edited by GDMike

Hi, so I recently picked up this modem. It came in the original box and contained the modem, a coiled up cable with 4 conductor 4 pin rj9 ends on it, and the serial cable is internally connected and extends out of the modem. So I'm not sure of how to connect the phone cable. The directions say connect it to the base of a phone and manually dial and switch the modem data/voice switch to data after receiving signal. Number one, I don't have a phone with an rj9 Connector. The rj9 connector is the skinnier jack that you see on the handset portion of the phone. I was thinking of splicing into the existing coiled rj9 and converting one end to rj11. Does anyone know what that pin-out would look like? Since there are 4 wires on that coiled rj9 I'm not sure if I could wire it straight through, but I think there are 6 wires on a rj11. The picture of the cable connectors are showing the RJ9 and an RJ11 next to each other not that the RJ11 came in the package, it's just used as a reference. I figured I could plug the modified cable into a phone outlet and dial with a cordless phone on another but same line?

I believe the reason for the RJ9 is that this modem was being used with an acoustic coupler. Which is not what the directions are telling you to connect up to. So what you need to do, is to use a standard RJ11 cable (I have dozens of these left over from the dawn of time) that plugs into your telephone set and to the RJ11 connector on the modem (TELSET). Now the directions should work just fine.

There are no RJ11 port on the modem..all the ports on the modem are all in the RJ9 type. If there was an RJ11 then it would be a simple connect. So does anyone know if I should make the center two pins green and red as the RJ11 are? Then I'll mail a RJ9 to RJ11...I'm hoping this is all I need to do..thanks you guys for taking the time.

Now I get it...

That might just work... but you should use a coupling transformer for isolation from the direct current loop

...or at least a couple non-polarized capacitors.

Unless your certain of the modem's internal design.

Ahh..ok..yes, I know what you mean regarding the filters. Ok. I will give it a try. I Know once it's set up then I have to use an extension phone as a dialer to make original contact, then place the switch to data from voice on the modem. I just hope the cable works. Thanks !!!

Edited by GDMike

So I made a cord, and tried the modem to wall with the extension phone doing the dialing. I got nothing, I can hear tone from the extension phone. I placed the duplex to half and I can see what I typed, as in AT...it echoes AT but I never received OK. I tried using the RJ9 from the handset of my speaker phone and running that cord to the wall and modem and received the same result. And this was tried in both the ports on the modem labeled telset and handset. I dunno??

Edited by GDMike

The Hybrid circuit in the phone's network interface helps to balance the levels by canceling the local signals return.

also helping to match the phone line's capacitance.

I'd try and use a W.E. 2500 base.

In the phone set:

The receiver output is isolated from D.C.

The transmitter often provides the D.C. needed by the carbon or condenser mic..

So I made a cord, and tried the modem to wall with the extension phone doing the dialing. I got nothing, I can hear tone from the extension phone. I placed the duplex to half and I can see what I typed, as in AT...it echoes AT but I never received OK. I tried using the RJ9 from the handset of my speaker phone and running that cord to the wall and modem and received the same result. And this was tried in both the ports on the modem labeled telset and handset. I dunno??

I had this modem as a first modem. this modem does not take AT commands.

You have to physically have a phone connected to it and dial the BBS number from the phone, once it answers you flip the switch to DATA and it will throw a carrier.

That is where the telset and handset comes in. remember the old pushbutton phones.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

I had this modem as a first modem. this modem does not take AT commands.

You have to physically have a phone connected to it and dial the BBS number from the phone, once it answers you flip the switch to DATA and it will throw a carrier.

That is where the telset and handset comes in. remember the old pushbutton phones.

so it goes "inline" on the handset cord?

• Like 1

If this is the one I remember, it's just simply hooking up inline with the phone receiver. You take the receiver off hook, dial the bbs with the phone and make sure the switch is set to modem, and it cuts off the handset. This was an alternative to using an actual acoustic coupler that you set the receiver into.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If this is the one I remember, it's just simply hooking up inline with the phone receiver. You take the receiver off hook, dial the bbs with the phone and make sure the switch is set to modem, and it cuts off the handset. This was an alternative to using an actual acoustic coupler that you set the receiver into.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oh how I remember those days....sigh...

• 1 year later...