IGNORED

MAME 0.206 Released!

Tafoid

MAME 0.206

Welcome to 2019 – we’re starting the year with a bang! MAME 0.206 is an absolutely huge update when it comes to new dumps and newly working software, especially when it comes to TV games. As far as we know, MAME is the first V.Smile emulator with working controls and the most compatible, with almost all dumped titles fully playable for one player (the second joystick isn’t working yet). A number of JAKKS Pacific games based on similar technology are also working in this release. And from Japan, you can now play the Popira and Dance Dance Revolution Family Mat rhythm games, as well as Super Dash Ball. The Namco Nostalgia and Taito Nostalgia games are now playable, too. Game & Watch coverage is steadily expanding, with Black Jack, Lifeboat, Manhole (new wide screen), and Rain Shower added in this release. Black Jack is particularly notable as it hasn’t seen re-issue or emulation before now.

On the arcade side, San Francisco Rush 2049 and its Special Edition have been promoted to working, and we’ve added alternate versions and bootlegs of several supported games. Heihachi_73 has tested the Aristocrat Mk V slot machines, and dozens have been promoted to working. If you enjoy spinning the wheels, why not give some a try?

If you’re aware of the effort to preserve original Apple II software in the new low-level WOZ disk image format, it should come as no surprise that MAME is on board. We’ve started documenting these dumps in a software list, and we’ll continue to add dumps as they become available. If you’re a fan of Acorn computers, you might want to try some of the newly supported BBC Micro ROM slot expansions, including banked ROM devices, RAM expansions, and real-time clocks. A few additional Electron expansion devices have been added, too.

Of course, these are just selected highlights, and there are plenty more bug fixes and emulation improvements in this release. There are also some incremental improvements to MAME’s system and software selection menus. You can get the source and Windows binary packages from the download page.

Anyone else here is already tired from playing catch up with the mame roms ?

I am using the 2016 mame core of retroarch, this is enough for me...

You do realise that you don't need to update the entire MAME ROM and CHD sets at every release, yes?

Sure, things change between releases. But as long as you're starting from a good base set of ROMs and CHDs, you can do incremental updates at each release that only replace the ones that have changed.

You do realise that you don't need to update the entire MAME ROM and CHD sets at every release, yes?

Sure, things change between releases. But as long as you're starting from a good base set of ROMs and CHDs, you can do incremental updates at each release that only replace the ones that have changed.

Yes, but they break some the roms by adding new files to the zip file...

That's not 'breaking the ROMs' - that's adapting them to improvements in emulation. Some of the reasons why this happens:

• Incomplete ROM dumps receive updates containing additional data that wasn't present before
  • ROM dumps where one or more images were bad are replaced with good images
  • Sets are found to be a completely different version, etc. to what they were believed to be when they were dumped, so are renamed or removed

MAME is an actively-developed project with a new release currently coming out on the last Wednesday of every month. This means that the software is constantly changing; why a subset of its users seem to not understand that ROM images may also have to change along with that continues to baffle me. And, frankly, this isn't something that is specific to MAME; any emulator can follow the same pattern.

Coming back to my point re: incremental updates: pick a version (my suggestion would be 0.206, since that's curent) and consider that your baseline. Download the ROMs, CHDs, etc. necessary for it. When the next version hits, do an incremental update from 0.206 to 0.207; this will only require you to grab the files that have changed, not the entire 500GB+ complete set. See this site for how to accomplish that; also take a look at clrmamepro, which will help significantly with auditing your ROM sets.

It happens but it's rare. There are thousands of emulators within mame. The rom files of the ones you play may not have changed at all.

Is Solvalou working?

I'm not updating MAME again until this is addressed.

Does it work in an old version? Edited by mr_me

Is Solvalou working?

Utilizing the latest version, 0.206, when "mame solvalou" is launched, there is a red warning screen that the game does not work.

However, proceeding further is not a problem, machine boots, and game appears to play fine for the few minutes I tried.

Below is a capture of playing in-game under v0.206:

post-18-0-96530300-1549215890_thumb.png

(Click on the screenshot to view with graphic effects properly applied).

Current issue(s) with the game/driver dates prior to at least June 2015, arguably connected to issues since August 2008. Per the notes on the latter link, MAME 0.92 (Circa February 2005), was confirmed for the first level to be playable without crashing. Not sure what version of MAME you're utilizing for Solvalou, but a lot of development has occurred in the last 14 years to overlook or miss out on for one game.

In the former link, the noteworthy issue is polygons (obviously) missing; however, as shown above, it does not seem to be the case as far as I experienced and captured.

So, why not give it a try? Simply setup a separate folder with the latest version, and just copy the "solvalou.zip" archive ROM file from your current installation to the roms folder where v0.206 is placed.

God..those effects are lousy and fake. For starters there are ares that show sharpness far beyond any CRT of the day.

There were no adjustments applied beyond the default basic ones. Simply dumped a new install and just flipped on bgfx (out of habit), as the intent was to demonstrate solvalou status under 0.206.

The note to click on snapshot was so the resized snapshot's warping effect would not be confused with an actual display problems with the game itself.

Utilizing the latest version, 0.206, when "mame solvalou" is launched, there is a red warning screen that the game does not work.

However, proceeding further is not a problem, machine boots, and game appears to play fine for the few minutes I tried.

Below is a capture of playing in-game under v0.206:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

(Click on the screenshot to view with graphic effects properly applied).

Current issue(s) with the game/driver dates prior to at least June 2015, arguably connected to issues since August 2008. Per the notes on the latter link, MAME 0.92 (Circa February 2005), was confirmed for the first level to be playable without crashing. Not sure what version of MAME you're utilizing for Solvalou, but a lot of development has occurred in the last 14 years to overlook or miss out on for one game.

In the former link, the noteworthy issue is polygons (obviously) missing; however, as shown above, it does not seem to be the case as far as I experienced and captured.

So, why not give it a try? Simply setup a separate folder with the latest version, and just copy the "solvalou.zip" archive ROM file from your current installation to the roms folder where v0.206 is placed.

I'll give it a shot. Last version I had.. I think the previous one, or the one before (I'm at work and can't verify,) the game would crash after 2 minutes or so every time.

For mame using the 2016 & 2013 Plus cores, and also for other platforms...

On Windows & Android

Well, there's your problem.

You're not likely to find a lot of enthusiasm in general for supporting MAME under Retroarch (which you may recall from past discussions on the mameworld.info forums). Sorry, but at this point I'm afraid I can't continue to assist with your problem.

My best suggestion would be to ask for help on the appropriate Retroarch-related forums.

Well, there's your problem.

You're not likely to find a lot of enthusiasm in general for supporting MAME under Retroarch (which you may recall from past discussions on the mameworld.info forums). Sorry, but at this point I'm afraid I can't continue to assist with your problem.

My best suggestion would be to ask for help on the appropriate Retroarch-related forums.

OK, Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

That's not 'breaking the ROMs' - that's adapting them to improvements in emulation. Some of the reasons why this happens:

• Incomplete ROM dumps receive updates containing additional data that wasn't present before
  • ROM dumps where one or more images were bad are replaced with good images
  • Sets are found to be a completely different version, etc. to what they were believed to be when they were dumped, so are renamed or removed

MAME is an actively-developed project with a new release currently coming out on the last Wednesday of every month. This means that the software is constantly changing; why a subset of its users seem to not understand that ROM images may also have to change along with that continues to baffle me. And, frankly, this isn't something that is specific to MAME; any emulator can follow the same pattern.

Coming back to my point re: incremental updates: pick a version (my suggestion would be 0.206, since that's curent) and consider that your baseline. Download the ROMs, CHDs, etc. necessary for it. When the next version hits, do an incremental update from 0.206 to 0.207; this will only require you to grab the files that have changed, not the entire 500GB+ complete set. See this site for how to accomplish that; also take a look at clrmamepro, which will help significantly with auditing your ROM sets.

This assumes that all users are likely to update every month. Many have a "if it ain't broke...." attitude, especially towards software. I update my emulators once a year, in winter because there's no outside work to do, so I have time to test everything and track down issues. I find Mame to be so unpleasant to upgrade, that many times I'll just skip it if the current version is working.

Why is it so painful? Well all the rom dumps have the same name, but no discernable version information. My set doesn't work? try another one and another one to no avail. The mamedev response is usually "just download the latest!" The problem here is rom sites are under heavy scrutiny and seem to come and go, and I've had to hunt high and low for the "latest set" at times without much luck-- would just find the older sets. Unless there's some secret source I'm not privy to,

Now Mame could do some things to ease the pain: they could improve versioning of the romset, maybe allow multiple versions of the same rom to exist: pacman-m18.zip pacman-m20.zip in case you are running multiple versions of Mame. (which I often do, because things sometimes break in newer versions)

Also Maybe It could maintain a limited backwards compatibility for a limited time. Like warn you that your romset has been deprecated, that you can still run it for now, but it will stop working in a future update-- this alone would encourage people to upgrade more frequently I think, because it would give them a grace period and ease them through the upgrade pain.

• Like 1

There's no reason you couldn't put different versions of the same rom in the same folder/container. Mame uses checksums to distinguish files and doesn't care about the name. Not sure why you would need to mix them up this way. You can simply point one version of mame to use multiple roms folders.

I wouldn't expect anyone to upgrade with every version but if someone is waiting for a specific fix or new feature it's nice to have it sooner than later. For me upgrading is a matter of pointing the new version to my existing rom folders and copying over controller configuration files. It only takes a few minutes. Rom file incompatibility is rare but dealt with as needed.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2