IGNORED

MyIDE II Owners - Care to share your compilations?

BoatofCar

When I had my MyIDE II (I gave it to a friend as thanks for giving me an XEGS), most of the files were simply XEX files that could come straight from the Ultimate Cart list. I think a lot of cartridges need to be converted to work on the MyIDE II. There are ZIP files on AtariMax's forums of XEGS cartridges that had been converted for use with MyIDE II. The very few XEX files that don't work with the MyIDE II FAT-32 loader can be run using the supplied SIDE loader on the latest MyBIOS beta. It also includes a lightweight version of MyBIOS that doesn't use up OSRAM so Turbo Basic XL (and programs created using it) will run.

My point is that you can simply use the XEX files from the Ultimate Cart compilation. The cartridges are likely to need to be converted to be useful.

In my opinion, in 2019, the best use of the MyIDE II is how @rdea6 is using it. If you simply want to play lots of XEX files and cartridge images with little fuss, there are other options (Ultimate, Uno Cart, and AVG Cart) available.

Bob C

• Like 3

sometimes we have what we have, and don't have the where with all to buy all the different things available, or there are none to be had because we missed the order window... so making ready to go best way images and compilations for each isn't necessarily a bad idea...

I love the MyIDE 2 interface. It is extremely versatile and has lots of bells and whistles. If you do not like one way of using it, you can use it in another way. I actually have one flashed like a SDX cart with the superb MyIDE driver from FJC.

I have one MyIDE 2 flashed where it boots to Fat32 mode at once.

And I have a few MyIDE 2 flashed with all kind of tools and stuff.

It is great. At this moment MyIDE 2 is not my main harddisk solution. I eventually decided to move to IDE+ 2.0 for that. Because it is compatible with stock Atari 8bit, it is a real PBI device, and it supports the more current APT partition format. IDE+ 2.0 does do the Harddisk Task just a little better because of that.

But MyIDE 2 offers so much power and so much fun. I would definitely not trade for an Ultimate SD card. Ultimate SD card is cool of course, but the MyIDE 2 can do so much more.

Btw. you might have to search for it, but I did a pretty cool patcher for non-working games. It requiers unfortunately a HEX editor though. With that patch most games that did not run with the original Fat32 loader, will run. I hope Tucker will find some time soon to update his Fat32 loader.

• Like 3

sometimes we have what we have, and don't have the where with all to buy all the different things available, or there are none to be had because we missed the order window... so making ready to go best way images and compilations for each isn't necessarily a bad idea...

I would agree with that. I just don't think it's likely that someone will invest the time to convert all of the cartridges into the MyIDE II compatible format. Unless you want to use a ton of cartridge images, the MyIDE II does a great job of running executable files.

My point is for someone looking to order today. While I agree with Marius' point regarding flexibility, I don't think most people are looking for that. When I bought the MyIDE II (shortly after receiving the XEGS) in 2015, I don't think the Ultimate Cart was available to order. The Uno and AVG carts came much later.

The XEX files from the Ultimate Cart collection should, for the most part, work well with the MyIDE II. I don't think most of the cartridge images would work on the MyIDE II.

If the OP doesn't want to (or have) the money to spend on another device, then I'd suggest simply downloading the XEX collection from the Ultimate Cart thread and use that.

Bob C

Thanks everyone. As stated above, I am not in a position to be able to afford multiple carts--what I have is what I have. But I was under the impression that many xex files had to be translated into r16 files as the Atarimax XEGS games were. I guess that's not the case, which is good!

Thanks everyone. As stated above, I am not in a position to be able to afford multiple carts--what I have is what I have. But I was under the impression that many xex files had to be translated into r16 files as the Atarimax XEGS games were. I guess that's not the case, which is good!

You only need the r16 files for the cartridge formats. The XEX files can simply be copied to the FAT-32 partition and used immediately. That's straightforward. If you want to use ATR files on the MyIDE II, you'll want to learn the Windows utilities to put ATR files into "Image Space". There are some ATR files that work from the FAT-32 loader, but I didn't have much luck doing that except with the sample ATR provided by AtariMax.

Bob C

Check the AtariMax site at this https://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1338&hilit=r16

• Like 2

Btw. you might have to search for it, but I did a pretty cool patcher for non-working games. It requiers unfortunately a HEX editor though. With that patch most games that did not run with the original Fat32 loader, will run. I hope Tucker will find some time soon to update his Fat32 loader.

Here is a link to a reference and usage of your MyIDE-II patcher...which works great by the way. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258765-atari-800-xl-and-atarimax-myide-ii/?p=3625892

-Eric

• Like 2