IGNORED

Songbird 20-year anniversary: sales, mysteries, and games, oh my!

Songbird

Believe it or not, it has been 20 years since Songbird started offering both new and "lost" games to Lynx and Jaguar diehard fans. You are the ones who make this such a great hobby, so thank you for your support of Songbird and all the Atari hobby game developers out there! To celebrate two decades of Atari hobby goodness, Songbird is offering a series of sales and new project activities throughout the year to make 2019 the best year yet.

SALE ON CLASSIC GAMES

For the first sale, Songbird is offering a variety of Lynx and Jaguar treats at throwback prices. These are the best prices you'll find all year, and they can be yours from now through 11:59pm on February 8.

• $10 off Hyper Force
  • $10 off Soccer Kid
  • $50 off bundle price for Lexis, Ponx, and SFX, all featuring the newly designed cartridges and labels!
Hop over to the Songbird website now to scoop up your copies while they last!

MYSTERY JAGUAR PROJECT #3

The project is well underway and should be available within a few months. This cartridge features a couple of cool new technologies, but I don't want to say more until it gets closer to release. Stay tuned!

REPRINT OF MEGAPAK

At long last, a reprint of Lynx MegaPak is in the works but we still need a few months to get the cart design worked out. Coming soon!

HIDDEN GAME REVEALED FOR JAGUAR LOOPZ

Last but not least, there is a hidden game included in every copy of Loopz for the Atari Jaguar! Simply hold the Option key while booting Loopz, and you can access JagTris 2018! This is an amazing little game brought to you by Bastian Schick and Songbird Productions, making your Loopz cart a 2-for-1 block-game bonanza. Head over to the Loopz page for more details and pick up your copy today!

• Like 13

Thanks for feeding the Jag and Lynx for 20-years with great stuff Carl and congrats for keeping it up and running for so long!

You're gonna let a measly $10 stop you from getting one of the best games on the Jag?

'G' Bear is right, though I think the idea was intended as a poke request for the $10 off deal to be extended to the other higher-end games as such. As it stands, Skyhammer is $90 and with the discount Hyper Force is $70 (I will forever round up when it's 5 cents), making it a $20 difference. However, I would most certainly spend the extra $20 to purchase Skyhammer over Hyper Force any day if you don't already have it... deal or no deal.

• Like 3

Happy Anniversary Songbird/Carl. Purchased Skyhammer, Hyperforce, Total Carnage and Protector SE from you a few years back and were all worthy addictions to my Jaguar collection. Hopefully I'll be adding Loopz to that and your other Mystery Project sometime soon ;-).

• 2 weeks later...

If you would have had $10 off on Skyhammer it might have been enough for me to finally pull the trigger on that one. As it stands now I will have to mull over Hyper Force. Or maybe that Lynx bundle.

You won’t be disappointed with SkyHammer. Not without it’s kinks but overall a great game and a perfect example of what the Jaguar could have been.

• Like 3

Carl, do you know of some game licenses (preferably only 3D, not requiring a pixel artist) that would be easily obtainable, given your history/networking in the industry ?

I am asking, because I'm sure over the years, during all those conventions (and other networking scenarios), you came into contact with a lot of license holders. But, since it's just hobby, you do not have the manpower to engage in it (neither would I, this year, but it's a possible scenario later down the road).

Just an idea to think about...

If you'd like to read more on the history of Songbird and the games I've published, check out this recent interview with Arcade Attack. Special thanks to Adrian Wallett for the opportunity. Always fun to talk Atari! :)

I read that and thought it was a very interesting interview. I recommend other Jaguar fans check it out.

Carl, do you know of some game licenses (preferably only 3D, not requiring a pixel artist) that would be easily obtainable, given your history/networking in the industry ?

I am asking, because I'm sure over the years, during all those conventions (and other networking scenarios), you came into contact with a lot of license holders. But, since it's just hobby, you do not have the manpower to engage in it (neither would I, this year, but it's a possible scenario later down the road).

Just an idea to think about...

If you're thinking Steel Talons or STUN Runner or Virtua Racing, then no. :) My best advice is that you just make the best, original game you can, and not worry about a license.

If there is a particular license for a semi-obscure game, shoot me a PM and we can talk. I've certainly reached out to a number of publishers over the years, but for obvious reasons I tend to focus on games which either already exist in prototype form or could be readily ported to the Jaguar or Lynx. Thus there could be some smaller licenses which I have overlooked.

• Like 2

Thanks for reply.

If you're thinking Steel Talons or STUN Runner or Virtua Racing, then no.

Yeah, I don't imagine a AAA license would be in our reach, but then again, there's Another World, which is most certainly in the A class, license-wise. So, it's not entirely impossible. Just highly unlikely :)

My best advice is that you just make the best, original game you can, and not worry about a license.

Yeah, that's been going on for -ehm- quite some time, as you've surely noticed :lol:

If there is a particular license for a semi-obscure game, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Nothing particular now (well, I'd love Outrun for sure :) , but that's highly likely totally unreachable), but in my RoadRash thread, there's been couple dozens games of the era on other consoles (mentioned by other people with YT vid) I've never heard about, yet they turned out to be very popular.

I've certainly reached out to a number of publishers over the years, but for obvious reasons I tend to focus on games which either already exist in prototype form or could be readily ported to the Jaguar or Lynx. Thus there could be some smaller licenses which I have overlooked.

Of course, there's only so much one can do in spare time, but since that's not my current situation, so if there was some license for some 3D racing/action/top-down 3D game (suitable to my engine), where they wouldn't request upfront cash advance, then I'm sure some sort of deal could be made.

I have obviously more ideas on games than I could possibly do in a decade, so it's not a question of "hmmm, what kind of game could I do next".

I just really, eventually (say, earliest at the end of this year), would like to have worked on a well-known license game. So, when you talk to other publishers/friends, when you meet them at the retro conventions, it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure you wouldn't mind some percentage of each copy for "license finder's fee", right :) ?

BTW, did you ever encounter the type of multi-game / catalogue license deal, like Piko has ? E.g. for 10-20 games ?

• 3 weeks later...
While supplies last, sink your teeth into these Songbird 20th anniversary games each at $10 off regular price:
Jaguar Frog Feast with box (only 5 boxes left!)
Jaguar Protector SE (include Native CD and Jag-Ads CD)
Jaguar Robinson's Requiem CD
Lynx Alpine Games Bonus cart
Lynx Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure
Lynx Remnant
Sale prices end 11:59pm CDT on Friday, March 15.
Also be sure to pick up Lynx MegaPak, which was reprinted a couple weeks ago. And stay tuned for the Jaguar Mystery Project #3 reveal coming soon!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
While supplies last, sink your teeth into these Songbird 20th anniversary games at $10-20 off regular prices:

Jaguar Phase Zero Demo

Jaguar Protector RESURGENCE CD

Jaguar Soccer Kid + Frog Feast combo

Jaguar Total Carnage

Jaguar Towers II

Lynx CyberVirus

Lynx Hyperdrome

Lynx SFX

Lynx Zaku

Sale prices end 11:59pm CDT on Friday, May 10, 2019. Thanks for looking!

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 3

While supplies last, sink your teeth into these Songbird 20th anniversary games at $10-20 off regular prices:
Jaguar Phase Zero Demo
Jaguar Protector RESURGENCE CD
Jaguar Soccer Kid + Frog Feast combo
Jaguar Total Carnage
Jaguar Towers II
Lynx CyberVirus
Lynx Hyperdrome
Lynx SFX
Lynx Zaku
Sale prices end 11:59pm CDT on Friday, May 10, 2019. Thanks for looking!

Already have everything! Any new projects coming down the line?

I'd love to get Protector Resurgence on Cartridge... if you think there's a chance it'll fit.

Already have everything! Any new projects coming down the line?

I'd love to get Protector Resurgence on Cartridge... if you think there's a chance it'll fit.

It's an expansion that uses hooks built into the original cart. Not sure how you'd plug in two carts at once.

It's an expansion that uses hooks built into the original cart. Not sure how you'd plug in two carts at once.

Yeah, I knew that was the case, but hoped that maybe everything could be combined on ONE 4mb cartridge if possible.

And it looks like my hopes and dreams have been answered...

Protector RESURGENCE on cart is definitely doable... but not on my radar for now.

I expect to release a new Jaguar cart and a new Lynx cart before the end of the year. Details coming soon!

Awesome Carl! I'm definitely looking forward to it. I love Protector, and definitely want RESURGENCE on cartridge.

Looking forward to your other secret projects. Thanks!!!

• 2 months later...

Select Songbird games are on sale through September 6, 2019!

• All Songbird Lynx games are $5 off (via manual refund)
  • New printed Lynx game boxes are now in stock
  • Lynx Lexis, Ponx, and SFX are an additional $10 off
  • Jaguar Iron Soldier 2 CD, Loopz, Robinson's Requiem CD, Skyhammer, Total Carnage, and World Tour Racing CD are $10 off

Oh, yes, there is also a new Jaguar game to pre-order. Have a great weekend!

• Like 3