IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Hey Opcode, just as a suggestion but Smurfbert's post #63 got me thinking about something, how about including a small tongue and cheek version "promo" flyer of the game you are making with the game. I figure it may or may not be based somewhat on the actual arcade flyer or inspired by it but with some humor and more Omni concentric.

I think when a company does a humorous thing like a warranty card or some add in, it makes the collecting of games so much more fun. I figure it might also get some of the very talented artists on this board to help out and do a humorous one and submit it. I have found so many people here to be so helpful if given a chance.

Having something that is your company's "thing" might be fun..

I also realize this is more work on your company's crazy schedule, but I thought I would at least share this crazy thought. As I lead my teams in business I preach if you have an idea throw it out there, it may fall flat, go sky high, or inspire someone else to go a direction.

That is surely an interesting idea. I have been considering doing something like marketing and selling SGM2/OMNI as they were released in the 80s, and take that to the extreme, from copyright dates to ads, to comparing them and the games to consoles and stuff available around that time. Not sure if that is too silly. Printed newsletters, patches, clubs, thinks that were a thing back in the day but are now gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

No matter what those are exciting times for the ColecoVision. We announce something and sometimes in a matter of hours someone else counter announces something. So every time we announce something you get two something, which is a pretty damn good deal IMHO. :P

• Like 3

There is a rare top-down picture Ikrananka posted a while back that gives a good idea of how long the 83 SGM was. So the 4” is correct. Now indeed the 83 SGM spanned the width of the CV, while SGM2 is about half that, but then you have to consider two things: 1) a tooling that wide would cost a small fortune. 2) we don’t need all that internal space, the 83 SGM had a tape drive plus PCB, we only have a PCB. This is a niche project, we must keep costs down.

When we (Opcode, Ted hasn’t been involved in this yet) simulated a half wide 83 SGM it looked weird when done full CV height. That is why we made it not as tall as the CV in our render. And in fact that also works better with the new cartridge, because OMNI has a fairly low-profile design, and at full height the new cartridge was almost disappearing inside the SGM2.

Yes, its that picture that reminded me the '83 SGM was the width of the Coleco.

$$$ is always a factor, so I completely understand why replicating the same dimensions of the '83 SGM would be cost prohibitive.

The SGM2 will be a good excuse to buy all new shelving to display my collection on so that's a plus (the IKEA shelves barely fit an Astrocade or Vectrex, and the Coleco with SGM1 already hangs off a bit).

• Like 1

Yes, its that picture that reminded me the '83 SGM was the width of the Coleco.

$$$ is always a factor, so I completely understand why replicating the same dimensions of the '83 SGM would be cost prohibitive.

The SGM2 will be a good excuse to buy all new shelving to display my collection on so that's a plus (the IKEA shelves barely fit an Astrocade or Vectrex, and the Coleco with SGM1 already hangs off a bit).

:)

Hey Opcode, just as a suggestion but Smurfbert's post #63 got me thinking about something, how about including a small tongue and cheek version "promo" flyer of the game you are making with the game. I figure it may or may not be based somewhat on the actual arcade flyer or inspired by it but with some humor and more Omni concentric.

I think when a company does a humorous thing like a warranty card or some add in, it makes the collecting of games so much more fun. I figure it might also get some of the very talented artists on this board to help out and do a humorous one and submit it. I have found so many people here to be so helpful if given a chance.

Having something that is your company's "thing" might be fun..

I also realize this is more work on your company's crazy schedule, but I thought I would at least share this crazy thought. As I lead my teams in business I preach if you have an idea throw it out there, it may fall flat, go sky high, or inspire someone else to go a direction.

Any ideas are always welcome btw. As imstarryeyed said, the worst case scenario is that nothing comes from that. It could be a game, or something you would like to see happen, or whatever. I am listening.

• Like 2

UPDATE: We will soon have the second issue of the newsletter with more info and news.

For now we are focused in getting the first board as we discussed in issue 1. This week we received all the components, waiting for the board from China, which should happen next week.

• Like 4

UPDATE: We will soon have the second issue of the newsletter with more info and news.

For now we are focused in getting the first board as we discussed in issue 1. This week we received all the components, waiting for the board from China, which should happen next week.

I hope you have a better delivery experience from China than I've had. I ordered 2 Atari controller extension cords from China over 2 months ago and they still haven't turned up.

It has always been a bummer that one could never play arcade games on a home console with near perfect sounds and graphics . This has me intrigued seeing it could be possible . There is one in particular I am really curious if it could be done on this system and it is from 1986 . In America it was called Solar Warrior and in Japan it was named Xain'd Sleena . In my opinion it is a hidden gem of arcade games .

• Like 2

It has always been a bummer that one could never play arcade games on a home console with near perfect sounds and graphics . This has me intrigued seeing it could be possible . There is one in particular I am really curious if it could be done on this system and it is from 1986 . In America it was called Solar Warrior and in Japan it was named Xain'd Sleena . In my opinion it is a hidden gem of arcade games .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGL127qYF_0

Really interesting indeed. Had never seen this game before, but looks like fun. Graphics and sound wise, yes, the system can do that. And in fact I would like to try some more obscure but fun games so we don’t keep doing the same stuff over and over. That was something fun about the CV, it brought us some smaller arcade hits they were really fun.

• Like 7

Random hardware questions:

1. If sprites have 16 colors, is color index 0 transparent? How about for tiles?

2. If I want my sprite to walk behind a lamp post, does the lamp post have to be a sprite too?

3. Can the framebuffer be wider than the number of tiles displayed on the screen?

Just trying to get my head around this new hardware...

Random hardware questions:

1. If sprites have 16 colors, is color index 0 transparent? How about for tiles?

2. If I want my sprite to walk behind a lamp post, does the lamp post have to be a sprite too?

3. Can the framebuffer be wider than the number of tiles displayed on the screen?

Just trying to get my head around this new hardware...

1. Yes, transparent. Same for tiles, unless you disable it.

2. It may be a sprite or may be plane B

3. It has to be for the virtue of configurable resolution, scrolling and zoom.

• Like 1

1. Yes, transparent. Same for tiles, unless you disable it.

2. It may be a sprite or may be plane B

3. It has to be for the virtue of configurable resolution, scrolling and zoom.

Thanks for the answers.

I'm thinking that one use for "plane B" would be as a non-scrolling text overlay on top of the game screen - for displaying player scores, lives, and other information - like many arcade machines had back in the day.

I guess I should read up on Super Nintendo scrolling and zoom to find out how this sort of thing was done on other systems...

Edited by catsfolly

Has a new newsletter been sent? I got the first one, but not this one.

Yes, the #2 was sent out yesterday. Please check your spam box. In fact, you can add info@opcodegames.com to your contact list and make sure our newsletters never go to the spam box. :)

Nope, it is nowhere to be found...and the first one did come through OK...this one must have taken a detour through a cyber black-hole or alternate dimension someplace.

Yes, the #2 was sent out yesterday. Please check your spam box. In fact, you can add info@opcodegames.com to your contact list and make sure our newsletters never go to the spam box. :)

I decided to sign up and help contribute in anyway to this project and signed up for early adaptor about 6 days ago and have not gotten any newsletters . Also checked my spam but nothing .

Ok, I will check once I get home. I think I can resend if necessary, but it would be a good idea to find out why you guys aren’t receiving it in the first place.

Has a new newsletter been sent? I got the first one, but not this one.

Joe, I checked, and I have no idea how you got #1, since I don't see your name in the subscribers' list. In fact, I don't see your name in the report for issue #1, so technically you never received the newsletter from us, unless you are using a different name. Otherwise, please subscribe again: http://eepurl.com/gfE7TP

Thanks!

I decided to sign up and help contribute in anyway to this project and signed up for early adaptor about 6 days ago and have not gotten any newsletters . Also checked my spam but nothing .

So people understand the context, that is what you said I did to kevtris post in your futile attempt of create some bad blood between us.

No need for your support.

EDIT: btw, his post was never deleted, and you knew that: http://atariage.com/...2018/?p=4110351.

post-1432-0-57503600-1551037875_thumb.png

• Like 2