IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

I'm excited for the new arcade releases for the Omni/SGM2. I'm always advocating for more obscure arcade releases, but I will happily support all arcade releases. One thing that I'm hoping for is that the enhanced modes of these games have some new gameplay elements to them and aren't just enhanced graphics. For example, in Galaga maybe a triple ship power up, lasers, spread shot, or other power ups. Maybe some extra bonus rounds, or different challenge stages than the original arcade. Some different background music that could be selectable between enhanced music and original music.

• Like 1

Some different background music that could be selectable between enhanced music and original music.

Another one that could do with enhancements all round, graphically, musically and in gameplay is Xevious. I watched a video of the arcade original yesterday and it hasn't aged well. The vertically scrolling shooter genre was massively improved upon during the 16 bit era and Xevious looks a bit minimalist in comparison. Even the SGM has more 16 bit style vertical shooters in Mecha 8 & 9. I know the graphics for the Mecha games aren't as detailed as what we can expect from the SGM2 but in terms of intensity of the gameplay, they seem more akin to a 16 bit game where as Xevious looks spartan in comparison. I'm sure Xevious has its many fans who will be annoyed by my comment and I thought I was a fan too until I reacquainted myself with the game yesterday, but with so many awesome homebrews coming this year for the Colecovision/SGM and my beloved Atari 2600, I think I will pass on Xevious if it's a faithful conversion of the arcade original without any enhancements. Still definitely getting Galaga and Zaxxon though.

The existing ColecoVision is 37 years old. Its too bad a ColecoVision 2 videogame console was not created with the Super Game Module 2 built in, and with native HDMI output for all existing ColecoVision games.

You're in luck. If all goes to plan, and I hope it does, Opcode should release a stand-alone SGM2 console called the Omni about a year after the SGM2 but, oh, you also want it compatible with CV games. Ah. Well then you're just going to have to shell out for a Phoenix too. Get the Phoenix this year then get the Omni next year. Tah dah! Problem solved. That's what I'm going to do.

• Like 1

Lets see if all 3 of these projects become a reality. 3 different ColecoVision hardware products from OPCODE plus other hardware products from other companies equals a big bubble. Its nice that people are doing this for the fun of it, its to bad some nice money cannot be made on the ColecoVision/ADAM and its just become a hobby instead. If we were back in the 80's then maybe 10,000-50,000+ systems could be sold.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The existing Super Game Module works with both the standalone ADAM computer and the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer. Is the Super Game Module 2 also going to work with the ADAM computer?

It is real awesome that the Super Game Module 2 is going to have native stereo sound for new games that use stereo instead of mono. A HDMI output on the Super Game Module 2 would be a awesome feature but it sounds like that feature is not going to be offered. I wish the existing RGB, S-Video, and composite video output on the Super Game Module 2 would work with the existing ColecoVision games. I do not like that the video outputs can only be used for exclusive Super Game Module 2 games.

The existing ColecoVision is 37 years old. Its too bad a ColecoVision 2 videogame console was not created with the Super Game Module 2 built in, and with native HDMI output for all existing ColecoVision games.

Hi there,

Ok, lots of questions, that is fun. Let's get some answers.

We are trying to figure out a way to make the SGM2 work with the ADAM, but I can't promise anything at this point. And, last time I did that, I was accused of copying stuff, so I don't want to go that route again.

HDMI could be offered, problem is, it will increase the price, since we must offer analog, as that is the native CV output signal, and the module must work seamless. And there isn't much we can about the native CV video output in the original CV mainboard. wink wink

I'm excited for the new arcade releases for the Omni/SGM2. I'm always advocating for more obscure arcade releases, but I will happily support all arcade releases. One thing that I'm hoping for is that the enhanced modes of these games have some new gameplay elements to them and aren't just enhanced graphics. For example, in Galaga maybe a triple ship power up, lasers, spread shot, or other power ups. Maybe some extra bonus rounds, or different challenge stages than the original arcade. Some different background music that could be selectable between enhanced music and original music.

Problem with obscure is to find something that will appeal to most people. This is niche already, I can't make it even nicher and still hope to pay for all the costs involved unfortunately. So yeah, eventually maybe, right now it is complicated.

For additional content that is surely possible. In fact most games use some sort of macro language to describe stages. Moon Patrol for example, uses a very concise set of codes that describe a full course using just few bytes. So that is something we can do and we can get the community involved as well.

Another one that could do with enhancements all round, graphically, musically and in gameplay is Xevious. I watched a video of the arcade original yesterday and it hasn't aged well. The vertically scrolling shooter genre was massively improved upon during the 16 bit era and Xevious looks a bit minimalist in comparison. Even the SGM has more 16 bit style vertical shooters in Mecha 8 & 9. I know the graphics for the Mecha games aren't as detailed as what we can expect from the SGM2 but in terms of intensity of the gameplay, they seem more akin to a 16 bit game where as Xevious looks spartan in comparison. I'm sure Xevious has its many fans who will be annoyed by my comment and I thought I was a fan too until I reacquainted myself with the game yesterday, but with so many awesome homebrews coming this year for the Colecovision/SGM and my beloved Atari 2600, I think I will pass on Xevious if it's a faithful conversion of the arcade original without any enhancements. Still definitely getting Galaga and Zaxxon though.

Something like this? post-1432-0-12172300-1554245130.png post-1432-0-91889100-1554244960.png

Again, we can decode the scenario description code for the game and create some new areas with the help of the community, it would be fun.

Not just that, some fun stuff can be done as well. 2 players simultaneous mode in Donkey Kong, Galaga and Xevious, etc.

HDMI would be nice...but I understand there is more cost involved and you want to make it as affordable to people (which makes it more accessible) in the long run.

Its too bad the SGM 2 couldn't be more "modular" in that you could add features like HDMI for those that wanted it and would pay for it, and leave it off for those that don't. But I know too many features is not a good path to travel down either.

On a side note hows DK Arcade coming along? Would be great to see a clip on the SGM 2 when you get to that point.

HDMI would be nice...but I understand there is more cost involved and you want to make it as affordable to people (which makes it more accessible) in the long run.

Its too bad the SGM 2 couldn't be more "modular" in that you could add features like HDMI for those that wanted it and would pay for it, and leave it off for those that don't. But I know too many features is not a good path to travel down either.

On a side note hows DK Arcade coming along? Would be great to see a clip on the SGM 2 when you get to that point.

Well, adding HDMI as an option may be something we can look at. I also had an interesting and promising conversation with Brian just a minute ago, something that would make a lot of people happy. But let's wait and see.

As for DKA, I have been working on both versions in tandem. I should have something to show for both very soon, in fact as soon as Grazi is back from Brazil with the SGM2 prototype board. I redesigned a lot of stuff for the SGM1 version, gameplay should be even more accurate now. With the SGM2 version we can get a little more creative, since adding news screens for example isn't such a herculean task, all movable stuff use sprites like the arcade game, and the stage description language can be used directly.

Well I only speak for myself, but I am ok with just analog on the add on as the Colecovision is analog, I would love to see as many analog signals as possible like RGB, Composite, Svideo and Component (non HD) if possible.

I think the stand alone system would be great in HDMI but I am ok with the add on being analog, that is unless it can be done without adding too much cost and can pass though the colecovision video as well.

Heck I am even ok with the Omni add on having some jacks on the side to "pass though" the colecovision video for those who did a video mod, much like the Sega 32X used on the Genesis / MD.

If however colecovision games video and audio cannot be passed I would prefer it to stay analog,

Unfortunately getting video from the CV into the SGM2 isn’t possible because the expansion port doesn’t provide such a signal. And can send audio and video to the CV but not the other way around.

Grazi is returning from Brazil this weekend, bringing the SGM2 prototype rev A with her.

Next week will be fun, and I hope to have something running quickly.

Then we can start discussing some new content for those games. :)

Fun times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

However if the Super Game Module 2 were to disable the ColecoVisions video display processor and have its own video display processor with a HDMI output (graphics card). Then both ColecoVision and SGM 2 games could be played using the video display processor built into the SGM 2. A push button could be on the SGM 2 that would toggle between using the ColecoVision video display processor with NTSC RF output and the other mode on the SGM 2 when the push button is active would send a binary code to disable the ColecoVision video display processor and enable the video display processor in the SGM 2 with HDMI output. The SGM 2 could be an external graphics card that connects to modern flat panels and computer monitors.

Edited by HDTV1080P

However if the Super Game Module 2 were to disable the ColecoVisions video display processor and have its own video display processor with a HDMI output (graphics card). Then both ColecoVision and SGM 2 games could be played using the video display processor built into the SGM 2. A push button could be on the SGM 2 that would toggle between using the ColecoVision video display processor with NTSC RF output and the other mode on the SGM 2 when the push button is active would send a binary code to disable the ColecoVision video display processor and enable the video display processor in the SGM 2 with HDMI output. The SGM 2 could be an external graphics card that connects to modern flat panels and computer monitors.

The SGM2 video isn’t backward compatible with the CV video, so that is why we still need the CV video processor.

Again, HDMI with the SGM2 is possible, but it would increase the price, since we also need analog video for seamless integration.

If HDMI is paramount for you, then OMNI may be a better option.

Problem with obscure is to find something that will appeal to most people. This is niche already, I can't make it even nicher and still hope to pay for all the costs involved unfortunately. So yeah, eventually maybe, right now it is complicated.

For additional content that is surely possible. In fact most games use some sort of macro language to describe stages. Moon Patrol for example, uses a very concise set of codes that describe a full course using just few bytes. So that is something we can do and we can get the community involved as well.

I completely understand this situation. Rest assured that I will be supporting the SGM2/Omni and just wanted to chime in for a little support for the niche games. The issue that I have is that I have been playing video games for a long time, and I have played tons of versions of Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, etc. I get that when people talk about their favorites that these will inevitably be brought up. If these games are brought to the SGM/Omni and have an exclusive mode of play than that will be totally worth getting. A savable high score will also put those versions of the games on a must buy list for me.

I'm just saying not to forget that Major Havoc, I, Robot, Mouse Trap, Venture, Jungle Hunt, Qix, Quantum, Ladybug, Mr Do series, Cheyenne, Crossbow, etc are also great games that could also attract buyers and positive press.

• Like 2

I completely understand this situation. Rest assured that I will be supporting the SGM2/Omni and just wanted to chime in for a little support for the niche games. The issue that I have is that I have been playing video games for a long time, and I have played tons of versions of Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, etc. I get that when people talk about their favorites that these will inevitably be brought up. If these games are brought to the SGM/Omni and have an exclusive mode of play than that will be totally worth getting. A savable high score will also put those versions of the games on a must buy list for me.

I'm just saying not to forget that Major Havoc, I, Robot, Mouse Trap, Venture, Jungle Hunt, Qix, Quantum, Ladybug, Mr Do series, Cheyenne, Crossbow, etc are also great games that could also attract buyers and positive press.

Most of those games are still in A-list zone to me. In fact Jungle King is being done. And I would love to do some vector games too, mainly because they would look super cool in raster format. Games like Star Trek, Space Fury and Tac Scan would look great with 8/16 colors sprites. Even Asteroids would be cool, with little colorful 3D sprites, like what we saw in some early 7800 mockups (back when the 7800 looked a lot more impressive than it actually was, capable of dozen colors per object). :P

• Like 4

The SGM2 video isn’t backward compatible with the CV video, so that is why we still need the CV video processor.

Again, HDMI with the SGM2 is possible, but it would increase the price, since we also need analog video for seamless integration.

If HDMI is paramount for you, then OMNI may be a better option.

If the SGM2 were to use two separate video processors then one video processor could be 100% backward compatible with ColecoVision games and the other video processor that is used for SGM2 games only.

Just tossing out some ideas.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Most of those games are still in A-list zone to me. In fact Jungle King is being done. And I would love to do some vector games too, mainly because they would look super cool in raster format. Games like Star Trek, Space Fury and Tac Scan would look great with 8/16 colors sprites. Even Asteroids would be cool, with little colorful 3D sprites, like what we saw in some early 7800 mockups (back when the 7800 looked a lot more impressive than it actually was, capable of dozen colors per object). :P

Star Trek: SOS is one of my favorite arcade games, in fact I own a full size "Captains Chair" environmental cabinet, so if you do Star Trek, please make sure to include the voices!

• Like 1

Star Trek: SOS is one of my favorite arcade games, in fact I own a full size "Captains Chair" environmental cabinet, so if you do Star Trek, please make sure to include the voices!

Oh yeah, we can do the voices no problem now. :D

Just a quick question, and you may have answered it I just didn't see, but with enhanced graphics...will that be default setting or will you be able to choose between original graphics mode and enhanced in a menu or options screen???

Just a quick question, and you may have answered it I just didn't see, but with enhanced graphics...will that be default setting or will you be able to choose between original graphics mode and enhanced in a menu or options screen???

You will certainly be able to select from an option screen. We still love the originals, right. :)

I am so happy to hear about vector games, I hope a great version of Omega Race will be available, the one for the original Coleco is just not up to the task.

Games I would love to see myself.

Vectors:

Tempest

Omega Race

Major Havoc

Gravitar

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Armor Attack

Lunar Lander

Raster:

Pengo

Zookeeper

Kangeroo

Peter Pack Rat

10 Yard Fight

Konami Super Basketball

Konami Mega Zone

Castlevania

Boom Rang'r

Space Zap

Donkey Kong 3

Popeye (With a few more levels added)

Discs of TRON

TRON

Rolling Thunder

Indiana Jones Temple of Doom

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters

Oy so many games would be amazing on this new unit, this list can on forever.

I am so happy to hear about vector games, I hope a great version of Omega Race will be available, the one for the original Coleco is just not up to the task.

Games I would love to see myself.

Vectors:

Tempest

Omega Race

Major Havoc

Gravitar

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Armor Attack

Lunar Lander

Raster:

Pengo

Zookeeper

Kangeroo

Peter Pack Rat

10 Yard Fight

Konami Super Basketball

Konami Mega Zone

Castlevania

Boom Rang'r

Space Zap

Donkey Kong 3

Popeye (With a few more levels added)

Discs of TRON

TRON

Rolling Thunder

Indiana Jones Temple of Doom

Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters

Oy so many games would be amazing on this new unit, this list can on forever.

Indeed. And that is why I need a couple more people helping me with development. I hope to have the budget to get them next year (in addition to the pixel and sound artists that are already part of the team).

• Like 1

I know that a lot of the games I mentioned are A list, and I'm glad they are to you as well. I do love the more niche games like Oli Boo Chu, Munch Mobile, Lasso, Pioneer Balloon, Crazy Balloon, Carnival, Lost Tomb, etc.

If we are talking vector games, I would love for Quantum and Major Havoc to be brought out. I'm also loving the idea of the updates for O2 games. I think you're definitely onto something special here.

• Like 2

Indeed. And that is why I need a couple more people helping me with development. I hope to have the budget to get them next year (in addition to the pixel and sound artists that are already part of the team).

I second and third Peter Pack Rat. That game is awesome!

• Like 1

If we are talking vector games, I would love for Quantum and Major Havoc to be brought out. I'm also loving the idea of the updates for O2 games. I think you're definitely onto something special here.

Oh wow yes Quantum would be amazing seeing as how the Colecovision has a trackball.. that was an amazing game..

Looking forward to seeing how this system is going to look and play..

• Like 1