IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Oh wow yes Quantum would be amazing seeing as how the Colecovision has a trackball.. that was an amazing game..

Looking forward to seeing how this system is going to look and play..

Hopefully this week I should have something to show. :)

And it was quicker than expected:

Next we add background graphics and controls. Game should be fully playable once those two are added. After that we move to Zaxxon, as I can't work on sound until rev B is here. Feel free to suggest things that could be added to the games.

EDIT: resolution in this video is 288x224. Final should be 304x224. The new video chip has fixed dot clock (pixel size) but can be programmed for different resolutions, up to 320x240.

• Like 4

Add all Donkey Kong D2K levels.

Add Pauline Edition

D2K would be GREAT

DK2 Yes (I've actually asked Eduardo for this before). Pauline might be an easier option since there are no additional boards added (although I always wondered why the items weren't changed to "guy" items if she was rescuing him - beer, wrench, etc.).

Side note: Eduardo have you ever played Naughty Boy and if so what were your impressions? I don't think I have ever seen a home version of this game on any system and would love to see this some day. Its one of those games from back in the day I played in a hole in the wall arcade inside a Farmers Market that's no longer around. Weird what sticks in our heads sometimes but I always had fun there (arcade) and always remember playing that game (NB).

DK2 Yes (I've actually asked Eduardo for this before). Pauline might be an easier option since there are no additional boards added (although I always wondered why the items weren't changed to "guy" items if she was rescuing him - beer, wrench, etc.).

Side note: Eduardo have you ever played Naughty Boy and if so what were your impressions? I don't think I have ever seen a home version of this game on any system and would love to see this some day. Its one of those games from back in the day I played in a hole in the wall arcade inside a Farmers Market that's no longer around. Weird what sticks in our heads sometimes but I always had fun there (arcade) and always remember playing that game (NB).

Yes, I remember playing Naughty Boy back in the day. A Jaleco game, correct? It is funny, because we talked to Jaleco last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me discuss with the author about DK2. We talked long time ago, and I remember that back then his terms weren’t the best. I will check.

Another person to ask to is Sock Master for his Donkey Kong Remix which adds new levels that are different than DK2.

http://users.axess.com/twilight/sock/dkremix/index.html

• Like 1

Yes, I remember playing Naughty Boy back in the day. A Jaleco game, correct? It is funny, because we talked to Jaleco last year.

Jaleco yes, according to KLOV:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8832

Licensed to Cinematronics for US manufacture and distribution, although the one I played was most likely a bootleg (the same arcade had Donkey King, etc.).

Maybe a Jaleco's greatest hits compilation featuring Naughty Boy for the SGM 2? :)

• Like 1

Opcode that looks amazing! So excellent! I cannot wait to see other levels and maybe other surprises you may have..

But don't forget Pauline's HELP...

Keep up the great work!

That was just a quick test of the new drawing routines. Score is also missing.

Yeah, let’s take a deep breath, and keep focused on what really matters. Really appreciate all the support I have been getting here for so many years. So let’s get all those projects out of the door and in the hands of the community ASAP!

• Like 1

This game does not fill the whole screen.

That is because the right side is reserved for the score area. This way the play field size is kept exactly the same as the arcade version, for absolute arcade accuracy. :)

• Like 1

Ok. But I feel it is not the same game I remembered by put score at the wrong place.

attachicon.gifdonkey kong arcade.png

Few players might agree with me.

Well, you have to realize that the arcade had a vertically oriented monitor, and NTSC has barely 240 visible scanlines, and you can’t even guarantee that all TVs will be able to display all those lines.

And I don’t want to squeeze everything vertically, so the playfield still looks and play exactly like the arcade.

The SGM1 version is already squeezed, which is fine considering the hardware limitations, but here we can do something different.

• Like 2

Let’s see if I can get this fully playable by the end of the week. I would like to move to something else, either Zaxxon or Moon Patrol so I can get a full hang of the new video.

With the sprite and screen drivers in place, incorporating more screen should be fairly easy. I had a deal with the DK2 author long ago, I can check again to see if he can offer better terms now.

One more added, one to go....

Video is short because it is in demo mode and Mario falls the platform quickly, but it is clear elements are working as expected. Once we have all stages and it is playable, I can record a video showing me playing the game, so you can see it is indeed a CV+SGM2 creating it.

• Like 1

If the SGM2/Omni version of DK had all the original arcade levels AND I think 4 original levels from the Intellivision D2K homebrew, that would be so amazing. A must must purchase if that happens.

Just checked my files, I indeed had a deal with Jeff, the game author. It is old, but I am pretty sure he would agree on a new deal, so let's go ahead and add his 4 extra boards.

• Like 3

Opcode, those screens look so perfect! Now more screens are going to be added?! That is going to be the most accurate non emulated version I have ever seen. So looking forward to this..

The aspect ratios you chose seem to work really well and I think are ideal. I have to ask are you considering Tate (sideways) mode for your arcade vertical games like shooters do? If not your choices are perfect but was something I was just thinking about shooters in the future.

Looking at this I am excited to see more about Zaxxon and your other games! I am so in on the add on and the stand alone unit!

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1