IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

I signed up via the link in the email from a couple days ago (pretty much right after it was sent out). Filled out the survey info to be an early adopter. Does that mean I'm signed on as an early adopter? I didn't get any confirmation email or other indication aside from a message thanking me for filling the survey. Just want to be sure I'm in! Really excited about this project!

Yes, you are in the list (although we can no longer accept Innovators). You aren't going to get any confirmation email, but should soon get a newsletter, and with the newsletter you should have access to all back issues. :)

• Like 1

- we are replacing one Z80 cpu with a 16-bit cpu. That will make our architecture more versatile

Are you willing to divulge which 16-bit cpu you've chosen to use?

I'm afraid that I'm not in the group of potential SGM2 owners ... but I'm certainly interested in the possibility of buying an Omni, whenever you feel able to give out more details on that.

Are you willing to divulge which 16-bit cpu you've chosen to use?

I'm afraid that I'm not in the group of potential SGM2 owners ... but I'm certainly interested in the possibility of buying an Omni, whenever you feel able to give out more details on that.

We will surely discuss the hardware in more detail in the near future. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One day later, but as promised...

The version you see is using 240 scanlines, but NTSC doesn't seem to like that many lines, so I will created a 224 lines version for analog video later (by reducing the score area by 1 row).

• Like 5

Opcode that video is great, it looks like the arcade game running, I cannot wait to see the progress. The SGM2 is impressive as it seems to be able to do games down to the last detail.

Seeing this new videos detail I have to ask, have you done any tests with vectors and vector graphics like Tempest or Major Havoc?

I bet they would look good seeing as your board supports key resolutions in arcade games. Just had to ask.

One day later, but as promised...

The version you see is using 240 scanlines, but NTSC doesn't seem to like that many lines, so I will created a 224 lines version for analog video later (by reducing the score area by 1 row).

This has nothing to do with the NTSC system having a limitation. The NTSC system is capable of a maximum of 720 x 480 interlaced or progressive. Since 1997 100% of the store purchased DVD’s in North America have used NTSC at 720 x 480 interlaced.

I do not see anyone complaining about 480i DVD’s having 480 scan lines. Some of the best 16 bit video game systems in the 90’s use up to 480 scan lines with NTSC.

This has nothing to do with the NTSC system having a limitation. The NTSC system is capable of a maximum of 720 x 480 interlaced or progressive. Since 1997 100% of the store purchased DVD’s in North America have used NTSC at 720 x 480 interlaced.

I do not see anyone complaining about 480i DVD’s having 480 scan lines. Some of the best 16 bit video game systems in the 90’s use up to 480 scan lines with NTSC.

I didn’t say it is a limitation. It is just that you can’t guarantee that 240 lines will be displayed. That is ok with movies, not ok with games if you try to use all lines to display relevant info, like my movie above, where the top 10 or so lines aren’t being displayed.

So for games in analog ntsc, I will resize the game to 224 lines, unless the extra lines are merely cosmetic.

For HDMI we can use all 240 lines.

Opcode that video is great, it looks like the arcade game running, I cannot wait to see the progress. The SGM2 is impressive as it seems to be able to do games down to the last detail.

Seeing this new videos detail I have to ask, have you done any tests with vectors and vector graphics like Tempest or Major Havoc?

I bet they would look good seeing as your board supports key resolutions in arcade games. Just had to ask.

We don’t have any vector function in hardware, however we can do stuff in software. 68000 was quite capable with just 2MIPS, so I guess the 12MIPS in our 16 bit cpu should be able to handle vectors just fine.

Now, for some games, like Asteroids, we can just go raster. Sort of 7800 asteroids, just with better resolution and colors. In fact I was wondering if the the enlargement functions would be used with a port of Star Trek using raster graphics.

Now it is starting to look good... crappy video and all.... Let's move to something else, I want to flex the SGM2 muscle as much as I can before board rev B (aka full system).

EDIT: before you point that out, yes, it is still missing one background layer. But amazingly stable and fully playable, so I am happy with it for now.

• Like 6

Now it is starting to look good... crappy video and all.... Let's move to something else, I want to flex the SGM2 muscle as much as I can before board rev B (aka full system).

EDIT: before you point that out, yes, it is still missing one background layer. But amazingly stable and fully playable, so I am happy with it for now.

Frankly if I didn't already know this was a new port of the game if someone showed me this video I would have thought it was an actual arcade PCB running with some sound and background issues perhaps due to some bad ICs, you're really nailing the look of the original game!

Oh and more annoying suggestions for me :D

Spy Hunter is another one while already having a good CV port would be FANTASTIC enhanced for the new hardware, and given the game play there's a gazillion new things you could add to it to make it even better! New enemy cars, new weapons, new roads, the possibilities are endless. It did get a sequel in the arcade but Spyhunter 2 has gone down in history as easily the worst sequel to a popular game, they could hardly have made it worse if they tried, so SH is in need of some lovin!

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 3

Wow! Looks fantastic [emoji108] Played Moon Patrol to death when I was a kid.

Will this be available on the OMNI?

Keep up the great work!

Yes, same cartridge. :)

Wow that video looked just like the actual arcade board.. it is amazing how tight you have that game looking. I am so look looking forward to this console. It is funny how I was thinking the other day, that this system will really deliver the arcade experience on a console that I have been wanting for the last 30 years that companies have been promising.. ha ha.

• Like 4

Wow that video looked just like the actual arcade board.. it is amazing how tight you have that game looking. I am so look looking forward to this console. It is funny how I was thinking the other day, that this system will really deliver the arcade experience on a console that I have been wanting for the last 30 years that companies have been promising.. ha ha.

Thanks for the kind words! :D

Spy Hunter is another one while already having a good CV port would be FANTASTIC enhanced for the new hardware, and given the game play there's a gazillion new things you could add to it to make it even better! New enemy cars, new weapons, new roads, the possibilities are endless. It did get a sequel in the arcade but Spyhunter 2 has gone down in history as easily the worst sequel to a popular game, they could hardly have made it worse if they tried, so SH is in need of some lovin!

The MCR board Midway used for SH was the home for many cool arcade games indeed. Strong in my list, but first I am working on Galaga, the game that Early Adopters selected as a launch title. :)

Question for those following this thread:

So far we are covering only Atari era content (pre-crash). How do you feel about post crash arcades?

How far in the timeline should I go? What would be the cut-off year for arcade ports on OMNI?

Edit: let me narrow options a bit:

1) 1983

2) 1984

3) 1985-1986

4) 1987-88

5) The 80s

6) I don’t care

Seems like #4 1987-88 would be appropriate according to everything that you have discussed as far as what the next evolution of the CV or CV 2 would have been. Well, at least for the immediate future of the SGM2/Omni and then when they are established and programmers start pushing the capabilities of the SGM2/Omni, things will naturally progress.

• Like 2

6)

Because most of these arcades are available for any devices: PCs, 3DS, tablets, smartphones,...

It would be hard to convince anybody to buy SGM2 just to play theses arcade games when they already have.

Instead always thinking about arcades, how about some catching games: RPGs, adventures, new action games would appeal new players.

But again, It's my opinion.