IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Here is the deal....

I just talked to the hardware guys. I am starting a big push to raise funds for the next few months. My deal with them is, they must complete the hardware and provide betas before the end of this year. If they don't do so, I will run out of funds again, and I made it clear to them that isn't an option (for reasons I won't explain here to avoid any further drama). So beta starts later this year, or do not start at all. I believe they got the message. 

In 2012 I put my soul on the SGM1 until it was done. I will do that again in the next 12 months. The SGM2 releases in the first half of 2020, with a couple of games, exact date pending on how beta goes. We will work on a more detailed schedule in the next couple of weeks and I keep you posted. 

Don' t worry, she'll launch on schedule if we have to tow her out with our bare hands!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, opcode said:

Here is the deal....

I just talked to the hardware guys. I am starting a big push to raise funds for the next few months. My deal with them is, they must complete the hardware and provide betas before the end of this year. If they don't do so, I will run out of funds again, and I made it clear to them that isn't an option (for reasons I won't explain here to avoid any further drama). So beta starts later this year, or do not start at all. I believe they got the message. 

In 2012 I put my soul on the SGM1 until it was done. I will do that again in the next 12 months. The SGM2 releases in the first half of 2020, with a couple of games, exact date pending on how beta goes. We will work on a more detailed schedule in the next couple of weeks and I keep you posted. 

Yes you took a risk with SGM1 and it is very appreciated and I think you have been a great asset to the community. I will support and buy your future products at least as long they are geared towards the Colecovision without any hesitation.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a release for the new controllers as well, but I understand if that those have to be delayed as well.

Looking forward to any new SGM games plus any re-released ones that I may have missed out in.

Not necessarily delaying the controller. I still plan to start testing them this year. Controllers should hopefully finance themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Among other things I think this system would be great hardware for people to develop their own actual coin operated arcade games on, it's RGB compatible and designed to support games of the kind that came during the arcade industries best years. It's been done before with other systems like the Atari 400 and Amiga, but they didn't do well because either the hardware wasn't quite up to it or the quality of the initially released games was very poor. Wiring it up inside an arcade cabinet should be very straight forward, the joystick inputs can be wired to the controls of the panel and the coin switches just wired to some of the keypad buttons, as far as the games the only difference between an actual arcade version and a home console would be it would need one-coin-per-play, attract modes and optionally high score tracking programmed in. 

Edited by Tornadoboy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tornadoboy said:

Among other things I think this system would be great hardware for people to develop their own actual coin operated arcade games on, it's RGB compatible and designed to support games of the kind that came during the arcade industries best years. It's been done before with other systems like the Atari 400 and Amiga, but they didn't do well because either the hardware wasn't quite up to it or the quality of the initially released games was very poor. Wiring it up inside an arcade cabinet should be very straight forward, the joystick inputs can be wired to the controls of the panel and the coin switches just wired to some of the keypad buttons, as far as the games the only difference between an actual arcade version and a home console would be it would need one-coin-per-play, attract modes and optionally high score tracking programmed in. 

It is interesting that a company we were in talk with suggested the same arcade thing. :)

Releasing some of the OMNI games in arcades sounds like fun indeed.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, opcode said:

It is interesting that a company we were in talk with suggested the same arcade thing. :)

Releasing some of the OMNI games in arcades sounds like fun indeed.

At one point someone on KLOV was working on a JAMMA (an arcade cabinet wiring standard) adapter for Coleco's, I don't know if there were ever actually produced though.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=247145&highlight=colecovision

I was thinking of trying to turn a TI 99/4a computer into an arcade game for Microsurgeon and set it up with a coin timer like Exidy's Max-A-Flex system, but it sounds like this system would work a lot better given the potential! I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death in this thread, but any projections on cost yet? Just the general range?

Edited by Tornadoboy

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Qwak could probably be done on colecovision, although the side scrolling might take a bit more effort.  The game reminds me a bit of Konami's Loco-motion.

When you have a game like Diablo then there is no reason why you can't make this.

There are similar things I am working on but coming across movable tile patterns is one of those BIOS functions that getting information is hard to come by so it takes longer to develop new routines.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Major breakthrough in terms of graphic tools. I can now do complex graphic stuff easily. I will be quiet for the next couple of months, but I hope to have something really cool to show by late October. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Castlevania on the SGM2 is great and all buuuuuuuut.  Are we now getting 2 versions or has it now been upgraded to an SGM2 game?  I think it was originally planned as a CV or SGM1 game.

The engine is being made in such way that both versions can be easily created, especially considering we already have the ColecoVision graphics. Of course the SGM2 will have way better graphics and sound, smooth scrolling and no flicker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

So if the goal of the SGM2 is to get graphics, sound, etc. up to around 1987-88 quality, what year or timeframe would you put the original SGM at? My apologies if this is widely-known already; I'm new to the  CV scene.

The SGM1 only adds extra RAM and double sound channels, so it is still mostly a ColecoVision, albeit with slightly better sound. With extra RAM we can create more complex logic and animations, but graphics are still the same. SGM1 acts more like an advanced NES mapper, if you are familiar with the concept.

1 hour ago, opcode said:

The engine is being made in such way that both versions can be easily created, especially considering we already have the ColecoVision graphics. Of course the SGM2 will have way better graphics and sound, smooth scrolling and no flicker.

Awesome.  Will the SGM2 version even have better graphics and sound than the NES version?  Technically it should, right?

13 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

Holy Smokes that is a beautiful screenshot!  I think you may just have here the nicest looking version!

Totally looking forward to this one being released.

That was my thought too, I've played both the NES and arcade versions but this one seems to have much better color and detail!

• Like 1