IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

A few updates:

Got a 3D printer. That should speed up the prototyping process considerably.

Controller is now over 600 units preorders.

Castlevania is now near playable. Progressing faster than I had expected, considering it is a NES port. I want to present the game during PRGE, assuming I can find a sponsor. I believe it truly shows the SGM2 potential.

Alpha board expected for September with beta board in December. We release in the first half of 2020, the exact date depending on how beta goes.

Zaxxon and Galaga are two probable launch titles. Working hand to have Castlevania join that. Other launch window games are Jungle King, Moon Patrol, Loonies, and Elevator Action.

There is one more hardware project to be announced soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, opcode said:

A few updates:

Got a 3D printer. That should speed up the prototyping process considerably.

Controller is now over 600 units preorders.

Castlevania is now near playable. Progressing faster than I had expected, considering it is a NES port. I want to present the game during PRGE, assuming I can find a sponsor. I believe it truly shows the SGM2 potential.

Alpha board expected for September with beta board in December. We release in the first half of 2020, the exact date depending on how beta goes.

Zaxxon and Galaga are two probable launch titles. Working hand to have Castlevania join that. Other launch window games are Jungle King, Moon Patrol, Loonies, and Elevator Action.

There is one more hardware project to be announced soon.

You used the term “preorder,” is that the same thing as signing up on that email list? I signed up there but I didn’t get any sort of “preorder” link

You used the term “preorder,” is that the same thing as signing up on that email list? I signed up there but I didn’t get any sort of “preorder” link

Yes, that is what I meant, the email list.

Just completed the sprite driver for Castlevania. In addition to the obvious hardware advantage of OMNI/SGM2 over the NES, the SGM2 version can now display all the sprites without the need for "sprite multiplexing". It isn't that the SGM2 has no limits in terms of sprites per scanline, but a NES game just doesn't cross that limit. So with no sprite multiplexing in place, now all sprites display in the proper priority order, greatly improving the illusion of depth. With multiplexing in place, sprites keep moving in front and behind other sprites all the time, breaking the illusion. For example, when Simon overlaps a candle, you can see the candle sprite flickering in front and behind Simon, which looks very weird. Or when Simon crosses a door, the different sprites move front and back.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATES: we have the SGM2 designed. We had to take extra care with power consumption, since we don’t want to have an extra power supply. We also had to take care of switching modes seamlessly.

Castlevania is advancing nicely, and the goal is still to have the game playable around Halloween time.

ff233d665029b76c90becff2bc2104db.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE (09/21/19): we have now near 400 people in the SGM2 waiting list. Beta starts late December/early January. I believe we can release the SGM2 with 4 games, with about 4 more shortly after that.

I plan to leave in the SGM2 in beta for several months while I complete games. We should start with about a half dozen units and expand to pilot run of a few dozen units later on.

We also had to make a few changes to hardware to keep it in the price range we were planning ($120-$150). We will discuss those near to beta, when we know there won't be any more changes. Doesn't affect current games though.

Castlevania: Completed the level editor, now I can finally put together levels fairly easily. I still believe the game will be playable in time for Halloween.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Great screenshot of Simon there, so looking forward to your system!  
Can you share any information for potential devs, like some more details on languages, libraries and tools?

I bet this system is going to be fun to try to make a game for.

What I can tell for now is that devs can use C and assembly. Dev boards can be hooked up to PCs for integrated debugging system, including step by step execution and memory watching.

Btw, I found a few leftovers in the Castlevania original game for the NES/Famicom

A holy book, some women’s apparel, and vestiges of a 7th stage. Let’s see if any of that can be used .

• Like 1

Opcode sounds like you may be well on your way to making a directors cut with those extra assets.  I would say create Maria as a playable character like in Symphony of the night if possible.  Of course there is nothing wrong with Simon crossplaying either. I love the idea of a 7th stage so much!

Honestly, this may just be the most definitive versions of this game!

In reference to the dev info, I hope you go with lots of simple examples like (1. create, animate and move sprite, 2. Sound / music 3.)Simple controller example etc etc)

Looking forward to seeing more as you create it!

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, opcode said:

Btw, I found a few leftovers in the Castlevania original game for the NES/Famicom
A holy book, some women’s apparel, and vestiges of a 7th stage. Let’s see if any of that can be used .

You may have found more than the Cutting Room Floor has documented already - they don't mention the partial stage. :)

https://tcrf.net/Castlevania_(NES)

13 hours ago, opcode said:

That would be incredible if completed/restored and put into game :D