IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

On 11/1/2019 at 9:35 AM, opcode said:

HDMI requires a transmitter, so we are reserving that for Omni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if you thought about this.  You are creating a module for the ColecoVision to play Omni games. When you get to the Omni, why not create an expansion module that allows us to play the old ColecoVision games, or even build in a ColecoVision compatible cartridge port into the Omni from the beginning.

I don’t know if you thought about this.  You are creating a module for the ColecoVision to play Omni games. When you get to the Omni, why not create an expansion module that allows us to play the old ColecoVision games, or even build in a ColecoVision compatible cartridge port into the Omni from the beginning.

That can be done since OMNI includes an expansion port. Problem is, considering tooling costs, of there would be enough demand to justify such a module.

36 minutes ago, opcode said:

That can be done since OMNI includes an expansion port. Problem is, considering tooling costs, of there would be enough demand to justify such a module.

Just for the convenience of only dealing with one console to play Coleco/SGM/Omni games, I would buy the expansion module.  Plus you get the bonus of being able to connect HDMI.  Most tv’s sold nowadays do not have a svideo or rgb port.  Do a preorder for the module.  If you get enough people signing up then you can commence with the module.  Of course this is in the future since the Omni probably won’t be out until 2020/2021.

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 10:26 AM, tillimon said:

I will gladly help test it if you do not have access to an ADAM. I have both an ADAM and a ColecoVision so I plan on getting a SGM2 regardless.

You can count on me for that as well. I finally got my Adam working and spent the night playing games on it. Next up, fixing the tape drive. 

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM, tillimon said:

I will gladly help test it if you do not have access to an ADAM. I have both an ADAM and a ColecoVision so I plan on getting a SGM2 regardless.

If it works with the adam I will buy one also to use with both adam and colecovision,  

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, VectorGamer said:

Seems that all of this is explained in post #1.

Not actually. I wanted to know if this was somehow based on at least something tangible (internal information, plans, etc from the company itself). I guess I don't understand why people want to make upgrades so far removed from the original hardware, and yet somehow still is supposed to invoke the spirit of the original. I as just hoping to find something that at least tied this to some vaporware, etc. 

1 minute ago, turboxray said:

Not actually. I wanted to know if this was somehow based on at least something tangible (internal information, plans, etc from the company itself). I guess I don't understand why people want to make upgrades so far removed from the original hardware, and yet somehow still is supposed to invoke the spirit of the original. I as just hoping to find something that at least tied this to some vaporware, etc. 

Well it's an option for those that own original hardware if they desire to play advanced games. I purchased the original SGM when it came out and was happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VectorGamer said:

Well it's an option for those that own original hardware if they desire to play advanced games. I purchased the original SGM when it came out and was happy.

Yeah but I get the SGM as it totally seems like an upgrade that realistically compliments the system.

Yeah but I get the SGM as it totally seems like an upgrade that realistically compliments the system.

I guess this is a rhetoric question since you already have your answer and just want to vent about it...

17 minutes ago, turboxray said:

My understanding is that the Omni is meant to be the spiritual 16-bit 4th generation successor to the ColecoVision. The SGM2 is a way to get it as a less expensive version of the eventual whole console by using hardware from the ColecoVision. There may be some overlap between the capabilities of the Phoenix vs the Omni, but you might think of the Phoenix as the 3rd gen backwards compatible successor to the ColecoVision and the Omni as no longer compatible 4th gen. Maybe a bit of a stretch but as a rough idea. 

• Like 4

That's how I understood it as well. It is definitely a 'what if' take on a console, as in 'what if Coleco released a console later in the 80s'. The only reason it is an add-on currently is to save cost. I imagine once a stand-alone console is available, the add-on will either cease production, or remain a cost-saving option. Aside from that it is an interesting take on seeing what people with modern game knowledge can pull off on a console that needs developed for like a true 16-bit system. Sure it would be easier to just make those same games in Unity or whatever, but I feel the limitations of older hardware spark a lot of creativity, as working within limits often does. Just cause you can do it in photoshop with the freedom to undo, erase, etc. doesn't mean people are going to stop painting and drawing by hand, which leads to different artwork than if they'd attempted the same in photoshop. If they hit the edge of the paper, they can't just increase the resolution for more space, and may come up with a creative solution that makes the work even better.

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, Swami said:

My understanding is that the Omni is meant to be the spiritual 16-bit 4th generation successor to the ColecoVision. The SGM2 is a way to get it as a less expensive version of the eventual whole console by using hardware from the ColecoVision. There may be some overlap between the capabilities of the Phoenix vs the Omni, but you might think of the Phoenix as the 3rd gen backwards compatible successor to the ColecoVision and the Omni as no longer compatible 4th gen. Maybe a bit of a stretch but as a rough idea. 

What is the Phoenix??

On 1/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Hastor said:

That's how I understood it as well. It is definitely a 'what if' take on a console, as in 'what if Coleco released a console later in the 80s'. The only reason it is an add-on currently is to save cost. I imagine once a stand-alone console is available, the add-on will either cease production, or remain a cost-saving option. Aside from that it is an interesting take on seeing what people with modern game knowledge can pull off on a console that needs developed for like a true 16-bit system. Sure it would be easier to just make those same games in Unity or whatever, but I feel the limitations of older hardware spark a lot of creativity, as working within limits often does. Just cause you can do it in photoshop with the freedom to undo, erase, etc. doesn't mean people are going to stop painting and drawing by hand, which leads to different artwork than if they'd attempted the same in photoshop. If they hit the edge of the paper, they can't just increase the resolution for more space, and may come up with a creative solution that makes the work even better.

Vs what? I'm not sure what a true 16bit system is supposed to mean, but if said modern person wanted to develop for 4th consoles.. nothing is stopping them. There's homebrew on the PCE, MD, SNES and has been for two decades. If assembly is too hardcore for them, then the Megadrive is perfect because the 68k is pretty C friendly. Or the Neo Geo if you really don't want any of the common limitations of the base 4th gen consoles.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, opcode said:

I guess this is a rhetoric question since you already have your answer and just want to vent about it...

Actually, I still haven't got an answer that I'm looking for. So who are you? Did you work for Coleco? Were you one of the hardware or software engineers? What connection do you have with Coleco? I.e. what justifies the spec of this OMNI/SGM2 thing? Is there some vaporware specs of some unreleased Coleco console?? Because I see no relation to anything Coleco in this product. They look like some somewhat arbitrary specs gleamed from a generalization of arcade hardware of late 80s? From what I've read of the specs, listed on your page, there's absolutely nothing here that requires the Coleco, other than it's a glorified gamepad IO port for this device. Why even bother attaching it to the Coleco at all? Just release it as a standalone complete console. I just don't see what the connected this thing has with the Coleco console. Your page doesn't explain it either, other than "SGM2/OMNI" requires it to be connected to the Coleco console. My tone might be critical of this device, but I am looking for the whys. But I mean you developed it and made it public, so criticism and skepticism is applicable.

16 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Actually, I still haven't got an answer that I'm looking for. So who are you? Did you work for Coleco? Were you one of the hardware or software engineers? What connection do you have with Coleco? I.e. what justifies the spec of this OMNI/SGM2 thing? Is there some vaporware specs of some unreleased Coleco console?? Because I see no relation to anything Coleco in this product. They look like some somewhat arbitrary specs gleamed from a generalization of arcade hardware of late 80s? From what I've read of the specs, listed on your page, there's absolutely nothing here that requires the Coleco, other than it's a glorified gamepad IO port for this device. Why even bother attaching it to the Coleco at all? Just release it as a standalone complete console. I just don't see what the connected this thing has with the Coleco console. Your page doesn't explain it either, other than "SGM2/OMNI" requires it to be connected to the Coleco console. My tone might be critical of this device, but I am looking for the whys. But I mean you developed it and made it public, so criticism and skepticism is applicable.

Ah, newbies, how they make me smile.  

If, you're looking for answers and information, on the system, Opcode or anyone else, I hate to say it but do some searching in the forum first.

The best questions come from people who at least attempt to do some research first, not just drop into a forum and say "give me answers" which clearly shows they couldn't be bothered to even try themselves.

10 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Ah, newbies, how they make me smile.  

If, you're looking for answers and information, on the system, Opcode or anyone else, I hate to say it but do some searching in the forum first.

The best questions come from people who at least attempt to do some research first, not just drop into a forum and say "give me answers" which clearly shows they couldn't be bothered to even try themselves.

Yeah okay! Let me just read through his "4,735 posts". Thanks, but your smug ass didn't contribute anything with your reply so thanks for nothing! Bye!