IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

8 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Yeah okay! Let me just read through his "4,735 posts". Thanks, but your smug ass didn't contribute anything with your reply so thanks for nothing! Bye!

DId you read the first post? It has a lot of information.

20 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:
44 minutes ago, turboxray said:

Actually, I still haven't got an answer that I'm looking for. So who are you? Did you work for Coleco? Were you one of the hardware or software engineers? What connection do you have with Coleco? I.e. what justifies the spec of this OMNI/SGM2 thing? Is there some vaporware specs of some unreleased Coleco console?? Because I see no relation to anything Coleco in this product. They look like some somewhat arbitrary specs gleamed from a generalization of arcade hardware of late 80s? From what I've read of the specs, listed on your page, there's absolutely nothing here that requires the Coleco, other than it's a glorified gamepad IO port for this device. Why even bother attaching it to the Coleco at all? Just release it as a standalone complete console. I just don't see what the connected this thing has with the Coleco console. Your page doesn't explain it either, other than "SGM2/OMNI" requires it to be connected to the Coleco console. My tone might be critical of this device, but I am looking for the whys. But I mean you developed it and made it public, so criticism and skepticism is applicable.

Omni is one guy's idea of what the next generation Colecovision could have been based on the technology of that time. If you want a standalone unit you buy the Omni if you don't want another system you can opt for the SGM2 that connects to your existing Coleco hardware. 

You aren't forced to buy it or even pay attention to it so if it offends you so much just don't bother reading about it :)

• Like 4

To me, "it looks fun and will be going for something that feels more like what Coleco might have maybe done, as opposed to the other guys at the time" is all I needed. Heck just "it looks fun". That's why we play games right?

I could defend why someone would be passionate about this and find it fun, but if you need convincing it might not be you. This was an instant thing for me because it looked fun, period. I didn't need a real reason other than some of the possible titles teased and the specs.

It also isn't hard to find info about Opcode here or their own site etc.

If you need convincing on top of the info currently here, it probably won't be your thing. Or wait until it's out and check it out then. It is a very unique project for sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColecoJoe said:

DId you read the first post? It has a lot of information.

Omni is one guy's idea of what the next generation Colecovision could have been based on the technology of that time. If you want a standalone unit you buy the Omni if you don't want another system you can opt for the SGM2 that connects to your existing Coleco hardware. 

You aren't forced to buy it or even pay attention to it so if it offends you so much just don't bother reading about it :)

Are any interesting peripherals planned for this or are you planning just "console + standard controller". Maybe keyboard or mouse controller for some games?

18 hours ago, turboxray said:

Yeah okay! Let me just read through his "4,735 posts". Thanks, but your smug ass didn't contribute anything with your reply so thanks for nothing! Bye!

I think you are missing the point.  There is a SEARCH bar at the top. If you type Phoenix in that bar, you would get the results you seek right near the top of the provided list. Someone helped you anyway, so this tip is only offered to help you for the next questions you may ask. Of course if you don’t find the info you are seeking from the searches or there is too much info missed or it’s still unclear, go ahead and ask, people here are very helpful and pretty much anyone is glad to assist.  Many people just want a modicum of effort first from the user

• Like 2

I'm trying to be objective here, so please bear with me.  As someone who has been on both sides (18 months ago i knew very little about the current coleco community and now I'm pretty caught up), I think I am able to do that pretty well.  When I first started getting back into colecovision I was overwhelmed with data.  When I read something I hadn't heard of before, I researched it.  Searched the forums, google, other forums, etc.  I sent PMs to certain members (you know who you are) whose posts were really helpful to me.  I just researched until I was satisfied I knew all I needed to know.  All that said, that's my personality and I wanted to really dive deep into the current (and recent past) state of colecovision.  I probably actually read those 4,735 posts. 

I also realize that not everyone is like that - there are people with casual interest and that's probably where @turboxray falls.  I think that, in addition to the search, a good place to point you to would be the Homebrew Project Tracker thread:  

That should at least give you an overview of most of the current and previous projects that are going on.  I think the Phoenix is listed there as the "Collectorvision Game System."  It's basically an FPGA based recreation of a colecovision which outputs a scaled 480p signal via HDMI.  You can play from real cartridges or an SD card.

And finally, @turboxray, this is where I might be a little bit negative.  While it's certainly a valid question to ask "why should I care," I don't think it was asked in the proper way.  At least not in this thread.  That's why you are getting all of the cold responses.  Even without seeing the console, one can say that the OMNI (or SGM2) is just Opcode's interpretation of what could have been.  Nobody's saying that Opcode's version is any more "valid" than another one.  And, sure, one could (and these homebrew developers certainly DO) develop for 16 bit systems rendering this venture "unnecessary."  But given the extent of the original colecovision, how long would this community last if the developers didn't branch out?

Here's what I think will make the Omni/SGM2 different:  Hindsight.  Developers in the 1980s/1990s didn't know how their consoles would be received.  They didn't know how game developers would take advantage of or work around flaws in their systems.  Most importantly, they didn't know how future generations would mod their consoles to achieve new and interesting things.  I don't know if the Omni/SGM2 will be successful, but i'm certainly interested.  If you're not, that's OK.  I think the fact that there will be a colecovision attachment (SGM2) gives it more of a chance at success as it gives more people the opportunity to play those games.  I'm happy to support Opcode in this (as well as other) project as are many others.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 4:11 PM, turboxray said:

Smug you say? 

Definition of smug in English:

smug

Having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.

To partially quote Inigo Montoya: "...I do not think it means what you think it means."

There was nothing "smug" about my post, I was simply pointing out the fact that before you join a forum and start demanding people explain things to you doing some research of your own first might help.  

I guess reading through the dictionary is too much for you too?

2 hours ago, McCarseat said:

I signed up for both the SGM2 and a couple controllers today...is the list still open? Or did I miss the boat?

The list is still open. We will have a few announcements soon, including the controller. And in a few months, more announcements regarding the SGM2 and games that we haven't announced yet. Grazi is back on board and hopefully we will make lots of CV fans happy this year.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, opcode said:

The list is still open. We will have a few announcements soon, including the controller. And in a few months, more announcements regarding the SGM2 and games that we haven't announced yet. Grazi is back on board and hopefully we will make lots of CV fans happy this year.

Great news!

• 1 month later...

After assembling and testing rev 2 board, we redesigned some aspects of the SGM2 and incorporate most feedback we got. I hope that next version will surprise you. Please stay tuned. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chad Petersen said:

I'm also very interested and subscribed.  Any updates would be greatly appreciated. 

We should have something to show soon. Finishing a redesigned right now...

• Like 2