IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

1 hour ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Hi Eduardo,

I have slso received the latest newsletter and I am very excited like everyone else for the upcoming games and SGM2.

With the SGM2 coming later in 2022, when will pre-orders open up?

Thanks is advance! ?

Let's wait until it is ready for manufacturing. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Glad you're not rushing!  Hopefully at the minimum an option for 480p, much like the RetroTINK line of upscalers or the RAD2X cables (based on RetroTINK tech). 

Reason being many 4K sets and receivers like mine won't accept anything lower than a 480p signal.  I'm guessing the ColecoVision is normally 240p? 

I wouldn't want to have to find an HDMI upscaler to use the SGM2!  

Fascinating news all around, Eduardo!

It is 480p currently. But we are investigating other options. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been immersed on this project for about a year now, so to be honest I was caught off guard with such great response. I am glad a lot of people seem to like it. As usual, thank you so much for the continued support. First batch of SGM2 compatible games shipping in August, with DKA in November. Hopefully Pac-Man DX this year as well. Pac-Man DX btw sounds remarkably like the arcade. 

In this video it wasn't yet using Arcade Sprites, so the final game will look even better on the SGM2.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

Wow, so exciting! Couple logistical questions:

1. It sounds like it’s using the same form factor as the SGM 1; is that correct?

2. If 1 is correct then it must use the regular cart slot, yes? (Thinking back to the original SGM 2 announcement)

3. If 1 is correct, where are you planning to put the HDMI output; the left, right, or top? (If 1 is not correct, it would be interesting if the module could hook around the side of the console so the output cord is more hidden)

VERY much looking forward to this!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FiveJay said:

Wow, so exciting! Couple logistical questions:

1. It sounds like it’s using the same form factor as the SGM 1; is that correct?

2. If 1 is correct then it must use the regular cart slot, yes? (Thinking back to the original SGM 2 announcement)

3. If 1 is correct, where are you planning to put the HDMI output; the left, right, or top? (If 1 is not correct, it would be interesting if the module could hook around the side of the console so the output cord is more hidden)

VERY much looking forward to this!!!

Hi!

1. yes, that is correct.

2. Also correct. And this is the big deal with this SGM2. The SGM2 is no longer that alien system plugged into the CV that we announced a couple of years ago. It is now a compact custom system, created specifically for the ColecoVision. It was designed in such a way that it makes it easy to add the graphic and sound improvements to regular SGM1 games. So when you buy, let's say, Bosconian in August, you are getting a SGM1 game that is SGM2 ready. All the improvements are inside the cartridge, just waiting for a SGM2. :)

3. Right side, towards the edge of the ColecoVision. 

• Like 2

Sounds like I need to start looking for a second CV! My consoles are divided into a modern room with HDMI and a retro with CRTs. I also think original games need to run through a CRT to look as intended, but that's a personal taste thing and not a discussion I'm trying to start here 

I would be interested in anything that could decently convert 480p to component or something without much loss.

Already got the Phoenix for playing CV in the HDMI room lol, would be great to find a good HDMI->component converter for the SGM2, but not something I've looked into. Then I could easily switch between the two outputs to play it all on CRT (I know HDMI would cover it all, but I want the original signal when possible).

Looks like there's plenty of time to figure it out, but if anyone has a device to recommend, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise I'll have two CVs takin up space, 3 if you count Phoenix lol.

I'm excited nonetheless even if I'm just dragging it between rooms!

Edited by Hastor

It does make me question how this would handle the pause toggle I've got installed on mine. I had someone else do it so I don't know the details.. It pauses SGM games fine, but with so much including the video output going on in the SGM2, would it work or just crash things?

It has no effect on the Atari adapter but that also is basically just an AV passthrough while this actually needs the CPU going if I understand correctly.

Edited by Hastor

2 hours ago, Hastor said:

It does make me question how this would handle the pause toggle I've got installed on mine.

I thought about that as well seeing as I have a Yurkie modded CV with Pause Button. I can only assume that as long as you don’t use the Pause button (leave in unpaused position) that was added to your system and just use the proposed SGM2 pause button, all should be good. The vice versa should hold true as well.

So excited for this and it's a must buy!

I have a pause button on my CV and it's obviously handy. Whether it's a phone call, knock at the door or my dog wanting outside/in, there are times life gets in the way of gaming.

Edited by syn

1 minute ago, ZilogZ80 said:

So does the SGM2 still plugs in the CV?

If yes, does i connect into the front expansion?

If it plugs in the CV does it use some the CV cpu power?

Or is it a complete stand alone console?

I can help:

Yes

Yes

?

No

4 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

I can help:

Yes

Yes

?

No

I think it has been covered but I'm not restaurant great on the technical side.. I'd imagine it uses some of the existing power, especially with games that work with or without it. I believe it can overlay better graphics on what is getting generated normally. I'm not entirely sure when it is in it's own exclusive game mode for games that require it. It seems like if it could work in it's own, requiring a CV just for controller input and power, (maybe RAM which is cheap) seems like an odd requirement...

I would like to know more about what's going on in the CV vs the SGM2 when a game requiring the SGM2 is running. Also the same for one that doesn't require it but it's enhanced by it. What is handling what and what percentage of the game is being handled by each (roughly, as games would vary)?

I guess if you were a Opcode Super Game Club member you would know the answer about the CPU, it is all there in the announcement. And if isn’t in the announcement, then probably it doesn’t exist. ;)

On the other hand, there is one main reason why we announced something that is already working for late 2022… 

In Brazil we have had a history of dumb, semiliterate presidents for the past 20+ years. One of them was famous for saying or suggesting stupid things like “stockpiling wind”. She once infamously said “let’s not set a goal. Let’s leave it open. But when we reach the goal, we can double the goal.”  

Edited by opcode

7 hours ago, Hastor said:

I think it has been covered but I'm not restaurant great on the technical side.. I'd imagine it uses some of the existing power, especially with games that work with or without it. I believe it can overlay better graphics on what is getting generated normally. I'm not entirely sure when it is in it's own exclusive game mode for games that require it. It seems like if it could work in it's own, requiring a CV just for controller input and power, (maybe RAM which is cheap) seems like an odd requirement...

I would like to know more about what's going on in the CV vs the SGM2 when a game requiring the SGM2 is running. Also the same for one that doesn't require it but it's enhanced by it. What is handling what and what percentage of the game is being handled by each (roughly, as games would vary)?

Again, it is all implicit in the announcement. VSC1 handles all video and audio. There isn't much difference in terms of SGM2 required or supported. Its is always VSC1 doing all graphics and sound. The main different is in game logic. A SGM2 required game can do things is a simpler way because it does't has to be compatible with the stock CV hardware. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opcode said:

The main different is in game logic. A SGM2 required game can do things is a simpler way because it does't has to be compatible with the stock CV hardware.

But the CV's CPU is still used, right? If yes, does it receive the same regular VBLANK interrupt from the VSC1 that it receives from the native CV graphic chip? Just curious.  :)

But the CV's CPU is still used, right? If yes, does it receive the same regular VBLANK interrupt from the VSC1 that it receives from the native CV graphic chip? Just curious.  [emoji4]

VSC1 is a graphic and sound processor. So yes and yes.

But again, that is now. Until late 2022 a few things could change. So as the president said, let’s not set a goal…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/24/2021 at 11:00 AM, opcode said:

VSC1 is a graphic and sound processor. So yes and yes.

But again, that is now. Until late 2022 a few things could change. So as the president said, let’s not set a goal…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Eduardo

You stated sometime ago that the SGM2 was too alien to the CV, what has changed this time around? or how is it less alien?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Hey Eduardo

You stated sometime ago that the SGM2 was too alien to the CV, what has changed this time around? or how is it less alien?

Thanks!

What changed was that before the SGM2 was basically the OMNI system plugged into the CV, with its proprietary cartridge slot. Now it is a CV compatible new video and audio plugged into the CV using CV cartridges. So it doesn’t matter which ColecoVision cartridge you run, it is always the SGM2 doing all the video and sound. 

• Like 1