IGNORED

Super Game Module 2

opcode

Hey Opcode, now that the SGM 2 is going to be created will be possibly see any of the games that you had a mock up for once upon a time for the OMNI?

Those games looked really great and the traditional sprites were great! 

The Castlevania game you were demoing looked like it was well on the way to becoming the definitive way of playing CV on any console, including the original NES.

Hey Opcode, now that the SGM 2 is going to be created will be possibly see any of the games that you had a mock up for once upon a time for the OMNI?

Those games looked really great and the traditional sprites were great! 

The Castlevania game you were demoing looked like it was well on the way to becoming the definitive way of playing CV on any console, including the original NES.

Yes, I will definitively be working on that in some form.
I may have something to show later this year. For now I have this:

Although we are also 3 colors per sprite like the NES, the expanded color palette makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely see the workings of a great version of Castlevania there!  Would you consider adding an extra mode or levels that can be activated from from the front menu for those folks looking for something else to differentiate it from other versions?  I mean the core game is the same just an extra mode or levels via the main menu  that can be turned on (Boss Rush, 2 Player mode? PvP Simon vs enemy's, themed puzzle game, music "beat the enemies rhythm game" or something?)

I love the idea if you could possibly consider going for, "SGM 2 is shooting for the definitive way to play these games without re-imagining them'"

Whatever you decide to do however, the progress is looking great.

I would love to see you do some short videos every so often that explain your game development on a game for those of us interested in the process you got to go through in porting a game, I personally think it is fascinating!

Thanks again for all the hard work you and Grazi do for the community, I appreciate both of you all efforts!

On 6/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, opcode said:

Yes, but you only get HDMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opcode, will the SGM2 enable the ADAM to display audio & video in HDMI? Or only the CV?

Also, I assume that there is no way to simultaneously use both a SGM2 and an Expansion Module 1?

11 hours ago, timepilot said:

Opcode, will the SGM2 enable the ADAM to display audio & video in HDMI? Or only the CV?

Also, I assume that there is no way to simultaneously use both a SGM2 and an Expansion Module 1?

Only the CV. The problem with the ADAM is that there is some other stuff taking the bus all the time in ADAM mode.

You have the unplug the SGM2 to plug the EM1.

30 minutes ago, opcode said:

Only the CV. The problem with the ADAM is that there is some other stuff taking the bus all the time in ADAM mode.

You have the unplug the SGM2 to plug the EM1.

Thank you. But the SGM2 WILL work with an ADAM when the ADAM is in CV mode (playing a cartridge)?

Also, will the SGM2 work with an ADAM in CV mode even if the ADAM has otherwise been modded with an F18A, F18A2, etc.? In other words, the SGM2 functions regardless of any mods to the video/audio output of the underlying CV or ADAM machine itself?

On 6/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, timepilot said:

On 7/1/2021 at 7:37 AM, opcode said:

Opcode, could you please clarify further. Will the SGM2 work on an ADAM but without the ability to output via the SGM2’s planned HDMI output OR is it strictly going to be for use with the ColecoVision game console?

Thanks, in advance, for any clarification that you can provide.

12 hours ago, NIAD said:

Opcode, could you please clarify further. Will the SGM2 work on an ADAM but without the ability to output via the SGM2’s planned HDMI output OR is it strictly going to be for use with the ColecoVision game console?

Thanks, in advance, for any clarification that you can provide.

Oh, I had thought that Opcode had meant that the SGM2 will work on an ADAM but only when in CV mode.  In other words, when playing a CV cartridge on the ADAM, the SGM2 HDMI output will work just as it would work on a plain CV.  But when running ADAM software, whether via tape, disk, SmartWriter in ROM, etc., the SGM2 HDMI output will not work.

But maybe I misunderstood?

On 7/4/2021 at 2:15 PM, timepilot said:

Oh, I had thought that Opcode had meant that the SGM2 will work on an ADAM but only when in CV mode.  In other words, when playing a CV cartridge on the ADAM, the SGM2 HDMI output will work just as it would work on a plain CV.  But when running ADAM software, whether via tape, disk, SmartWriter in ROM, etc., the SGM2 HDMI output will not work.

But maybe I misunderstood?

To be honest we haven't tested 100% yet as the hardware developer is in Brazil and has no access to an ADAM, but our understanding is that the SGM2 won't operate in ADAM mode at all, as the ADAM DMA would mess things. So in that sense it will work just like the Atari module.

5 minutes ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Hi Opcode

This is a silly question

Will you keep SGM 1 in your product line after the SGM 2 is officially released?

Do you see them as two different products serving different markets?

Thanks!

I plan to keep both, as I can see purists that may prefer the original one, or people that want to experience games in both SGM1 and SGM2 modes perhaps?

But there is more going on, and that is why I set the late 2022 release.

3 hours ago, opcode said:

I plan to keep both, as I can see purists that may prefer the original one, or people that want to experience games in both SGM1 and SGM2 modes perhaps?

When i first heard of the SGM2 and its technical specs, i said to myself finally a true to arcade port of classic games like Zaxxon(and others) will be possible!

But maybe all those classics have already been done "close enough" for the SGM 1(i.e. Zaxxon super game by Pixelboy,etc..) and maybe for SGM2 you will be focusing more on NES generation games?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ZilogZ80 said:

But maybe all those classics have already been done "close enough" for the SGM 1(i.e. Zaxxon super game by Pixelboy,etc..) and maybe for SGM2 you will be focusing more on NES generation games?

I personally would love to see arcade ports of games that have never had a conversion on a home console,  new games and ports of European and japanese games that on systems the usa never got. 

• 4 months later...

Hello there.

As a SGM enthouthiast I put me on the list for SGM2,  Super Game cartridge 2 and controllers (expecting 2 of them) :-).

I'm running a Colecovision + ADAM (PAL RGB version) and I'm currious about the 480p output (even if I already watched WIPs on this thread).

On 7/8/2021 at 10:25 AM, opcode said:

Hi Opcode

Question#1:

Purists will want to keep their SGM1 to play SGM1, so this means that SGM2 will be able to play SGM1 games but not in original SGM1 mode rigth?

Question #2:

If i use a HDMI to RCA converter i could use the SGM2 on an analog TV rigth?

Question #3:

You said that the SGM2 will target games from circa 1987/1988 does this mean really 80's game i.e. Zaxxon, etc.. will not be covered?

6 minutes ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Hi Opcode

Question#1:

Purists will want to keep their SGM1 to play SGM1, so this means that SGM2 will be able to play SGM1 games but not in original SGM1 mode rigth?

Question #2:

If i use a HDMI to RCA converter i could use the SGM2 on an analog TV rigth?

Question #3:

You said that the SGM2 will target games from circa 1987/1988 does this mean really 80's game i.e. Zaxxon, etc.. will not be covered?

Hi

#1: correct

#2: Yes

#3: Did I say that? Probably what I meant was that the specs are comparable to tech available circa 1987/1988, so not the games. 16-bit VRAM bus, built-in sprite attributes, etc. Soundwise we have ADPCM and short PCM. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sonaru said:

Is the SGM2 still planned on being released this year?

Wow 8 months and no reply to your very simple question. A simple Yes or No would have sufficed ;)

Counting the previous two periods of inactivity, this thread has been virtually dead for 1 year now. Hopefully all is well with the creators.

Apparently something has delayed things on the SGM2, since we're already in 2023 at this moment, and I've never heard of it materializing. If I had to guess, I would normally say 'chip shortage', but that's usually associated with FPGAs and newer CPLDs, and after skimming through the first part of this topic which I only discovered today, the early posts made a big deal out of this only using tech that would have been possible in 1988 at the latest. Were FPGAs even a thing back then, or just in the lab?

Anyway the SGM2 looks like both an ambitious as well as great project. I look forward to seeing what the product release will actually be capable of, and the games that will fully utilize it's enhanced features.

EDIT: I read back a couple of pages and see that what was talked about in the beginning apparently has totally changed, so that might mean that there would be no adherence to sticking with 1980's possible tech. I also went to the opcode website in that link a few posts back, and aside from a fairly empty home page, there is really nothing there -- all the links are broken.