That was my thought too, I've played both the NES and arcade versions but this one seems to have much better color and detail!

Indeed a good fit for the SGM2/OMNI color palette. :)

On 8/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, opcode said:

Absolutely! :D

927392721d643b65cec667946de318be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!

It looks like it came from arcade or Neo Geo or Amiga.

• Like 1

A few updates:

Got a 3D printer. That should speed up the prototyping process considerably.

Controller is now over 600 units preorders.

Castlevania is now near playable. Progressing faster than I had expected, considering it is a NES port. I want to present the game during PRGE, assuming I can find a sponsor. I believe it truly shows the SGM2 potential.

Alpha board expected for September with beta board in December. We release in the first half of 2020, the exact date depending on how beta goes.

Zaxxon and Galaga are two probable launch titles. Working hand to have Castlevania join that. Other launch window games are Jungle King, Moon Patrol, Loonies, and Elevator Action.

There is one more hardware project to be announced soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, opcode said:

A few updates:

Got a 3D printer. That should speed up the prototyping process considerably.

Controller is now over 600 units preorders.

Castlevania is now near playable. Progressing faster than I had expected, considering it is a NES port. I want to present the game during PRGE, assuming I can find a sponsor. I believe it truly shows the SGM2 potential.

Alpha board expected for September with beta board in December. We release in the first half of 2020, the exact date depending on how beta goes.

Zaxxon and Galaga are two probable launch titles. Working hand to have Castlevania join that. Other launch window games are Jungle King, Moon Patrol, Loonies, and Elevator Action.

There is one more hardware project to be announced soon.

You used the term “preorder,” is that the same thing as signing up on that email list? I signed up there but I didn’t get any sort of “preorder” link

You used the term “preorder,” is that the same thing as signing up on that email list? I signed up there but I didn’t get any sort of “preorder” link

Yes, that is what I meant, the email list.

55 minutes ago, opcode said:

Yes, that is what I meant, the email list.

Ok great! Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something :)

Just completed the sprite driver for Castlevania. In addition to the obvious hardware advantage of OMNI/SGM2 over the NES, the SGM2 version can now display all the sprites without the need for "sprite multiplexing". It isn't that the SGM2 has no limits in terms of sprites per scanline, but a NES game just doesn't cross that limit. So with no sprite multiplexing in place, now all sprites display in the proper priority order, greatly improving the illusion of depth. With multiplexing in place, sprites keep moving in front and behind other sprites all the time, breaking the illusion. For example, when Simon overlaps a candle, you can see the candle sprite flickering in front and behind Simon, which looks very weird. Or when Simon crosses a door, the different sprites move front and back.

Opcode, its going to be quite interesting seeing the game play after these improvements you have made.  This title is so flagship to me for your system and its hard for me to come up with a better one!

• Like 1

UPDATES: we have the SGM2 designed. We had to take extra care with power consumption, since we don’t want to have an extra power supply. We also had to take care of switching modes seamlessly.

Castlevania is advancing nicely, and the goal is still to have the game playable around Halloween time.

ff233d665029b76c90becff2bc2104db.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Excited to see Castlevania on this when it's all completed! Extremely cool project, just signed up as an early adopter on the subscription list, hope I'm not too late to join in. 

• Like 1

@opcode

I set my subscription as Innovator as I don't mind tinkering and would like to help where I can, I have a CV with expansion module 3 at home and a few different tvs I could test on. If there's enough people already, move me back over to Early Adopter subscription please :)