IGNORED

Last 7800 game

nester

Perhaps you could ask Lance from Video61 or Brad from Best Electronics for a copy of their 1990 Atari Distributor Price List? Lance has his 1989 list on his website and I am posting the relevant Atari 7800 page here. Notice the release dates are sort of on there for later quarter 1989 games. I have a feeling the 1990 one would help in this regard, too, assuming they were still printing them in 1990. Good luck!post-47330-0-29093400-1549088009.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No it is not. It's an Atari licensed release and is the last Atari endorsed release on the 7800. This isn't up for debate.

You have to know what he means, though, Shawn. He's talking about retail games. Atari may have ok'd the monitor cartridge, but even AA states that the monitor cartridge was "Created by hobbyist Harry Dodgson." The OP wants to know which game with box, cart, manual, etc. was last released.

Off topic, but what exactly is the monitor cartridge for? Some sort of hardware diagnostic?

it's a tool to help with the programming of simple games for the 7800 and 2600, at least according to AA's page about it. Here are a couple pics of the cartridge itself. Pretty official looking, eh? hahahaha

post-47330-0-36791200-1550692294.jpg

post-47330-0-42009000-1550692304.jpg

You have to know what he means, though, Shawn. He's talking about retail games. Atari may have ok'd the monitor cartridge, but even AA states that the monitor cartridge was "Created by hobbyist Harry Dodgson." The OP wants to know which game with box, cart, manual, etc. was last released.

In that respect, as in plug in and play a game, PAL Sentinel would be the end of the line for the 7800(??). Off hand I don't recall what the last NTSC "game" release would have been.

I have another question: what were the last games in development? Coding seems to have gone on until 1993, after support was officially dropped. I note that Atari was also still selling the XEGS in mid 1992, at least six months after its official cancellation, too.

you're right about the XEGS still being available for purchase in 1992, but as far as I know, game development for the Atari XE stopped in 1989. I'm just basing that off the 1989 Atari Distributor Price List. Six games on there never (officially) saw the light of day: Deflektor, Midi Maze, Commando, Super Football, Tower Toppler and Xenophobe.

• Like 1

you're right about the XEGS still being available for purchase in 1992, but as far as I know, game development for the Atari XE stopped in 1989. I'm just basing that off the 1989 Atari Distributor Price List. Six games on there never (officially) saw the light of day: Deflektor, Midi Maze, Commando, Super Football, Tower Toppler and Xenophobe.

Yes, but there are some curious discrepancies. Jinks has a copyright of 1991 (even though it was first coded years earlier), so someone was tinkering with it. Ive read that it was Verlag, but it seems odd that this is a cart image as well as disk. I am not sure when coding stopped on Mean 18 (playable, but godawful) and Mat Mania. Internal documents show that there was still some demand for the 7800, 2600, and XEGS in 1992 and 1993, so its possible Atari sent mixed signals to developers as they were trying to clear their old stock.