IGNORED

2019 BASIC Ten-Liners contest!

Savetz

I wish my BASIC skills were as good as these....

[evertone] Don't be put off by the excellent games the whole idea of the 10 liner contest is to encourage people to create something. vitocco and others break down their games line by line, or even command by command so you can see how things are done. For a first project take a look at some of the example programs in the Atari manuals (on atarimania or atariarchives.org) perhaps create an improved version of one of them. Even if you just learn a couple of commands and prints something on screen it is a start ;-)

• Like 6

[evertone] Don't be put off by the excellent games the whole idea of the 10 liner contest is to encourage people to create something. vitocco and others break down their games line by line, or even command by command so you can see how things are done. For a first project take a look at some of the example programs in the Atari manuals (on atarimania or atariarchives.org) perhaps create an improved version of one of them. Even if you just learn a couple of commands and prints something on screen it is a start ;-)

I cut my teeth on BASIC on a CoCo and a TI 99/4A but never advanced beyond..ahem...basics. I've read magazines and looked at how programs work and can figure them out to a degree. However at the same time I marvel at how the heck these folks came up with the code.

For me it's finding time that's mine along with getting past the ghost of my Dad saying "don't go backwards". It's silly but it runs through my head.

Anyway, back on topix- these programs are looking pretty sweet. It's pretty amazing what one can accomplish with optimised code and limited size.

• Like 2

I cut my teeth on BASIC on a CoCo and a TI 99/4A but never advanced beyond..ahem...basics. I've read magazines and looked at how programs work and can figure them out to a degree. However at the same time I marvel at how the heck these folks came up with the code.

For me it's finding time that's mine along with getting past the ghost of my Dad saying "don't go backwards". It's silly but it runs through my head.

Anyway, back on topix- these programs are looking pretty sweet. It's pretty amazing what one can accomplish with optimised code and limited size.

:thumbsup:

I see programming similar to chess, only it's "you vs you" more than "you vs the machine", doesn't matter what system or language it never gets old ;) You could write one on those other systems too :-D

Yes some superb entries, I hope to feature them all in a High Score Club round later in the season :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Only few of my tenliners are near to pure BASIC code. Most of them just interacts with the graphics hardware to be able to display sprites and playfields, to make simple animations and SFX, just by using POKEs and MOVE family of statements over system registers. Game logic might be simple, but most of the times it is also tricky just to save bytes in trhe source listing. Complex expressions are used to manage many situations at the same time on a single statement. Some variables are not properly initialized because their default value is the required one at start. And so on... Many times I've found myself trying to understand what did I did in a previous game or how could I solve something. I always try to write the most that I can in the description page of every game to avoid that situations, but sometimes those docs were written some months after the code was finished.

I'm sure that I won't be able to write a nice graphical game on a C=64 or TI 99/4A just because I don't know how them work. Probably I could rewrite License Plates for those machines like I initially did in a ZX-81 machine, because the required resources were few and it can be coded in many ways using standard BASIC statements, but P/M graphics, collision detection, charset modifications, ANTIC modes, playfield colors are resources available only on Atari XL/XE machines... in other machines, the resources are very different (I'm guessing, because I haven't tried them yet).

• Like 2

hmmm, catch does not quite describe it....

Bounce Above Below... BAB's the game, maybe that's a little more catchy name.

That's what popped into my head during first play, B.A.B.

I figure I'd share what popped into my thoughts, I am sure other folks thought of others.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Hi all. Here is...

"Hubbub"

PUR-80

Atari BASIC

Pretty self explanatory...

• Time the arrows precisely.
  • 5 free lives for every 20 correct.

https://youtu.be/O5VCfVLO2e0

HUBBUB.LST

Use plain Atari Basic and a Joystick, and ENTER "D:HUBBUB.LST"

See how far you can make it ! (it gets much faster as you progress) :)

Enjoy!

-Eric

• Like 10

Phew! The entry I coded in the beginning of February, but didn't post yet because I wanted to see if I could polish it a little, finally has been sent with something like 17 hours to spare!

Name: Bar10der

Category: PUR-80

System: VIC-20 unexpanded

Language: Commodore BASIC V2

Binaries and instructions withheld until the arranger has confirmed the entry.

post-5454-0-67451200-1553908033.png

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 5

Hi all. Here is...

"Hubbub"

PUR-80

Atari BASIC

Pretty self explanatory...

• Time the arrows precisely.
  • 5 free lives for every 20 correct.

https://youtu.be/O5VCfVLO2e0

Use plain Atari Basic and a Joystick, and ENTER "D:HUBBUB.LST"

See how far you can make it ! (it gets much faster as you progress) :)

Enjoy!

-Eric

Please use this final version. HUBBU3.LST.

The difficulty ramps up more smoothly and progressively.

Plus at 180 points it introduces a new twist on the challenge, so be ready for that if you get that far!

Don't be deceived by the slow/boring/easy pace at the beginning...it ramps up quite quickly and soon you have a hard time concentrating and keeping up. :-o

Also, remember to load it straight from a cold boot (i.e. Do NOT bring up a DOS menu first, do NOT list the code on the screen first, etc.). You will get garbage on the screen otherwise. In 10 lines of pure Atari BASIC code there isn't room for much initialization, so the game assumes a cleanly booted memory state! :)

post-38281-0-26474400-1554048513.jpg

-Eric

HUBBU3.LST

HUBBUB.ATR

• Like 5

Just downloaded all these for the HSC. Wow, what a multitude of ideas!

I didn't submit an entry this year as I let everyday chores distract me for too long to make up for with a final dash. Hope Bunsen will go for it again in 2020.

FastBasic is amazing, so fast it feels like cheating.

• Like 4

HUBBU3.LST.

Also, remember to load it straight from a cold boot (i.e. Do NOT bring up a DOS menu first, do NOT list the code on the screen first, etc.). You will get garbage on the screen otherwise. In 10 lines of pure Atari BASIC code there isn't room for much initialization, so the game assumes a cleanly booted memory state! :)

attachicon.gifhubbubPUR80.JPG

-Eric

Simple fix to permanently avoid the garbage on the screen on Hubbub (so you don't have to cold boot before starting, and don't have to worry about whether you went to DOS menu or listed the code before running, etc.)...

On LINE 0, just change the DIM B$(6^4) to instead be DIM B$(9^4) and that's it. No other changes required.

Then you have no garbage, even if you don't cold boot before running the game.

• Like 4

Simple fix to permanently avoid the garbage on the screen on Hubbub (so you don't have to cold boot before starting, and don't have to worry about whether you went to DOS menu or listed the code before running, etc.)...

On LINE 0, just change the DIM B$(6^4) to instead be DIM B$(9^4) and that's it. No other changes required.

Then you have no garbage, even if you don't cold boot before running the game.

Zero byte bug fix. Brilliant.

:)

• Like 5

Zero byte bug fix. Brilliant.

:)

Brilliant. LUCKY !

Better to be lucky than good! :)

By the way, the game works as-is perfectly with Altirra Basic. No code changes required.

Or with another simple modification (change Z=39971 on LINE 0 to Z=48163) it will work with Turbo Basic XL.

But be warned... it is really fast with Altirra Basic or TBXL, so you might want to change L=10 to L=99(or higher!) on LINE 2 too, because you are going to need all those lives!

• Like 2

Some quick contest facts:

From 83 entries, only 20 of them are for Atari XL/XE, less than for Commodore 64 which are 21, plus 9 for VIC-20. There are 12 entries for Sinclair ZX Spectrum and 6 for Amstrad CPC. There are 3 or less entries for MSX, Apple IIe, Tandy TRS-80, BBC Micro, Mattel Aquarius, Thomson MO6 and Atari 2600.

PUR-80 category has 35 entries, both PUR-120 and EXTREM-256 have 18, and WILD has 12.

There are 43 authors, and the "most" are: Kevin with 8 entries, Matteo "Toolkitman" Trevisan has entries for 3 different platforms. Nobody sent entries for all 4 categories, but many have entries for 3 of them, and 2 authors have only one WILD entry.

16 different BASIC flavors were used in total (including different version numbers on some of them).

Let's wait for the results...

• Like 2

Rough comparison of formats over the past five years:

2015: 56% Atari XL/XE, 31% C64, 8% Amstrad CPC, 5% other formats

2016: 26% Laser VZ-200, 23% Atari XL/XE, 20% C64, 13% MSX, 7% Tandy MC-10, 11% other formats

2017: 39% Atari XL/XE, 26% C64, 15% Amstrad CPC, 5% Tandy MC-10, 15% other formats

2018: 33% C64, 26% Atari XL/XE, 13% Amstrad CPC, 7% Tandy MC-10, 21% other formats

2019: 25% C64, 24% Atari XL/XE, 14% ZX Spectrum, 11% VIC-20, 7% Amstrad CPC, 19% other formats

• Like 2

Some quick contest facts:

From 83 entries, only 20 of them are for Atari XL/XE, less than for Commodore 64 which are 21, plus 9 for VIC-20. There are 12 entries for Sinclair ZX Spectrum and 6 for Amstrad CPC. There are 3 or less entries for MSX, Apple IIe, Tandy TRS-80, BBC Micro, Mattel Aquarius, Thomson MO6 and Atari 2600.

PUR-80 category has 35 entries, both PUR-120 and EXTREM-256 have 18, and WILD has 12.

There are 43 authors, and the "most" are: Kevin with 8 entries, Matteo "Toolkitman" Trevisan has entries for 3 different platforms. Nobody sent entries for all 4 categories, but many have entries for 3 of them, and 2 authors have only one WILD entry.

16 different BASIC flavors were used in total (including different version numbers on some of them).

Let's wait for the results...

Some more statistics for 2019...

22 entries from USA

11 entries from Italy

10 entries from Germany

5 entries from Chile

5 entries from France

4 entries from Hungary

3 entries from Spain

3 entries from Switzerland

3 entries from Sweden

3 entries from Ukraine