IGNORED

Dragon's Lair is sold out!

Tursi

4 hours ago, thexder said:

Somebody clipped the zip ties on three NES consoles and walked off with some games this year.

That is disappointing. I do not secure my items because I think someone will, but in case someone does.  We are all flawed in different ways with some more than others†.

† The three precipitants of crime: an attractive target, a motivated offender, and lack of guardianship.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thexder said:

There were a number of times that people had turned it off and back on and switched to joystick mode.

I tried to reset it back into keyboard mode any time I wandered by. Even with the full Dragon's Lair cab on site, I was still drawn to the TI version.

11 hours ago, thexder said:

Somebody clipped the zip ties on three NES consoles and walked off with some games this year.

I've seen a lot of weird behavior at LAX over the years, but I hadn't heard of any game theft before. I guess other than the VR/AR room, supervision is just periodic walkthroughs. Sigh.

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Tursi,

Any chance for the future for some new Cartridge release ... sorry I arrived only one here in late ... :( but never known ... 

anyway how to reach you with a private message ? what is TalkPAP ?

Thank you for your valuable work with TI99

Best Regards and greeting from Italy

Francesco

I took a risk a few years back and had my Vectrex on display on a table with other classic systems and...had my Vecmulti in it the entire time. No one ever touched it because to be honest, the Vectrex just didn't seem to garner that much attention to begin with? So that cart didn't walk but I was worried about it a few times. I think if I were to do something like this now, it might be to house the system in a clear lockbox with vent holes similar to what I do when I have my Dreamcast Kiosk on display for people to play games like Mars Matrix etc. I re-installed the key/cam assembly that had been removed by a previous owner so it could be locked once again.

Another thought might be to use a modified TI wherein you physically wire up another cartridge port internally and attach the game in there? Then attach something to block the actual cart port from opening.

It is a numbers game.  The larger the crowd the more likely your exposure to crime.  That aside, it also gives a certain air to have the cartridge securely strapped down.  No one was offended when this was done at K-Mart, and I reject anyone offended in other settings.

For my display, I had a dissected console with a crimped wire screwed to one of the posts, and the other end pop-riveted to the cart.  Recently I came across a couple of the old display cartridges with the original straps still attached, so I like those, too.  A fishing leader should do nicely there.

DSC00107.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, whoami999ster said:

Dear Tursi,

Any chance for the future for some new Cartridge release ... sorry I arrived only one here in late ... :( but never known ... 

anyway how to reach you with a private message ? what is TalkPAP ?

Thank you for your valuable work with TI99

Best Regards and greeting from Italy

Francesco

I don't intend to re-release Dragon's Lair, no. Sorry about that.

• Sad 1

Thanks anyway .. I had to make the attempt :) ... I will wait for some new "wonder things" from you ... amaze us again 

stay healthy and Ciao

Francesco

PS. I can imagine the effort ... collect orders...prepare the cartdrige ... prepare the shipment ... the delivery .. and maybe even some complaints... I can understand you :( I would have done the same...  

31/5000

Thanks anyway .. I had to make the attempt [emoji4] ... I will wait for some new "wonder things" from you ... amaze us again 
stay healthy and Ciao
Francesco

PS. I can imagine the effort ... collect orders...prepare the cartdrige ... prepare the shipment ... the delivery .. and maybe even some complaints... I can understand you [emoji20] I would have done the same...  
31/5000           

You left out design the hardware design the software encode every frame of video to the 9918 from laserdisc. Find and purchase100+ cart shells . Pay for the pcb manufacturing up front .. hire graphic designer to do art find printer for art and box get art lost in the mail and have to reorder replacements and more

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, whoami999ster said:

Thanks anyway .. I had to make the attempt :) ... I will wait for some new "wonder things" from you ... amaze us again 

stay healthy and Ciao

Francesco

PS. I can imagine the effort ... collect orders...prepare the cartdrige ... prepare the shipment ... the delivery .. and maybe even some complaints... I can understand you :( I would have done the same... 

You might try contacting the person who started the thread below on Sunday. He hasn't marked his cartridge as being sold yet.

Edit: Never mind. I see he posted it in this forum as well and responded that he sold it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

You left out design the hardware design the software encode every frame of video to the 9918 from laserdisc. Find and purchase100+ cart shells . Pay for the pcb manufacturing up front .. hire graphic designer to do art find printer for art and box get art lost in the mail and have to reorder replacements and more

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

yes of course ... I'm sorry since I skipped totally the "real work" .... the hardest part of the whole "cake" ... just as curiosity how long did take this project .. i mean from the concept to the "executable" ? 

thanks again for your feedback

7 hours ago, whoami999ster said:

stay healthy and Ciao

Francesco

Thanks.. no, the main reason is simply that I ran out of time. The license was time limited and does not permit me to manufacture any more. I didn't want to go renew the license, as that starts at 100 units, and they wanted me to change some of the art. ;)

At this point the speculators are already charging higher prices, I must confess including my last few copies, so it would be rude of me to restart it after that, too. It wouldn't be fair to the people who paid more for late carts. ;)

Work is too busy for me to invest much time in doing anything new at the moment anyway. As usual.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, whoami999ster said:

yes of course ... I'm sorry since I skipped totally the "real work" .... the hardest part of the whole "cake" ... just as curiosity how long did take this project .. i mean from the concept to the "executable" ? 

Far more than you ever wanted to know here:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1u7SOusjQDInq95GrEH2tmIphUAjRg-9YbhR_X25D62A/edit?usp=sharing

;)

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Tursi said:

Thanks.. no, the main reason is simply that I ran out of time. The license was time limited and does not permit me to manufacture any more. I didn't want to go renew the license, as that starts at 100 units, and they wanted me to change some of the art. ;)

At this point the speculators are already charging higher prices, I must confess including my last few copies, so it would be rude of me to restart it after that, too. It wouldn't be fair to the people who paid more for late carts. ;)

Work is too busy for me to invest much time in doing anything new at the moment anyway. As usual.

got it ... ? 

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Tursi said:

There are 155 of them out there... with 120 or so boxed. I guess that should give you numbers to work with?

Well, I kind-of meant the question tongue-in-cheek, but then, how are the rarity rules defined?  Being that all 155 out there probably still exist, and all 120 boxed likely still have their boxes and goodies, would that be "common?"  Or, being that only a few of them have been sold second-hand since the one and only production run, would it be one of the "rare" rankings?

I assume there are some concrete rules out there.

Definitely HTF based on the dispersed nature of the original distribution, but I'm not sure I would call them rare. More on the uncommon level (like pretty much every Asgard cartridge and a lot of the DataBioTics cartridges). Others might say any cartridge with less than 500 or so copies would be rare, though, so YMMV.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems to me the question of rarity hinges on whether one considers rarity to be based on

1) ready availability via online auction or sale

or rather

2) total items presumed to exist

Those two things vary somewhat independently. 

The advantage of measuring the prior is simply that it's consistently measurable.  Whereas the latter is not always well known and in some cases may not be accurately knowable. 

But the latter is clearly a more literal understanding of rarity.  The prior is affected as well just by the ease and practicality of shipping and sale, for a given item.

22 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Definitely HTF based on the dispersed nature of the original distribution, but I'm not sure I would call them rare. More on the uncommon level (like pretty much every Asgard cartridge and a lot of the DataBioTics cartridges). Others might say any cartridge with less than 500 or so copies would be rare, though, so YMMV.

We sold about 2,500 TRIS cartridges, but that is the most common cartridge produced by Asgard.  I think we only sold about a dozen Edupack.  I also have a couple of Geneve's sitting around. Those are pretty rare, right?

• Like 6

About 2,500 Geneves were produced. They show up for sale relatively regularly, so I would probably list them as uncommon. Oddly enough, a lot of us who do have Geneves have more than one. . .and on the EduPack cartridges, I bought three of them BITD for myself and a couple of friends--and the other two have somehow returned to me over the years.

• Like 1