IGNORED

Atari ST buying advice please?

You guys really are not making this easy for the kid...

Unless you actually know that you need another version of TOS, I'd say 1.04 för ST and 1.62 for STE is just fine to start out with. Like I said earlier, more or less all software is patched today (atleast all the software that is worth wasting your time on is), but you need 1mb RAM. For STE, using simms, that is no problem, but upgrading an ST is difficult.

2.06 isn't really worth the hassle unless you are getting a harddrive, since you need a few auto booting programs to really take advantage of it, and you'd probably want 4mb ram aswell then.

More likely this what i will do aim for a ST machine with TOS 1.04 then load TOS 1.02 via disk if when i need it or add it via switch

Same with a STE machine with 4mb of ram with TOS 1.62 and add TOS 2.06 via switch with two machines setup that way i should be covered for as much compatibility as possible

More likely this what i will do aim for a ST machine with TOS 1.04 then load TOS 1.02 via disk if when i need it or add it via switch

Same with a STE machine with 4mb of ram with TOS 1.62 and add TOS 2.06 via switch with two machines setup that way i should be covered for as much compatibility as possible

Don't worry too much about the TOS version whether it's 1.62 or 2.06 ... or even 1.06. Your bigger challenge will be how to transfer downloaded files from your Windows PC to your ST machine. Simplest scenario will be ZIP files containing individual files that can be copied to a floppy. Wait till you get to MSA / ST files that exceed a single floppy! Maybe in that case you will want to upgrade RAM to 4MB first so you can make a RAM drive or maybe you will want to add a large capacity file storage system. Suddenly TOS version doesn't seem too critical in comparison. ;)

Oh, and don't forget your color display requires compatibility with low 15 kHz horizontal scan rates. You mentioned in your opening post you have a display with a SCART input. Hopefully you will be OK.

Don't worry too much about the TOS version whether it's 1.62 or 2.06 ... or even 1.06. Your bigger challenge will be how to transfer downloaded files from your Windows PC to your ST machine. Simplest scenario will be ZIP files containing individual files that can be copied to a floppy. Wait till you get to MSA / ST files that exceed a single floppy! Maybe in that case you will want to upgrade RAM to 4MB first so you can make a RAM drive or maybe you will want to add a large capacity file storage system. Suddenly TOS version doesn't seem too critical in comparison. ;)

Oh, and don't forget your color display requires compatibility with low 15 kHz horizontal scan rates. You mentioned in your opening post you have a display with a SCART input. Hopefully you will be OK.

I have couple of display options Sony 28 inch wide screen CRT TV with RGB SCART input

Then i have SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED TV/MONITOR with RGB SCART and S-VIDEO input with a XRGM-MINI if i need too use it

GOTEK DRIVE will be a must i'm not dealing with crusty old floppies to much hassle

Transferring files between Atari and Windows PC (or Linux, or MAC) is very easy with Flash cards (SD cards) when you have TOS/DOS compatible partitions. Think about getting UltraSatan ...

• Like 1

I always scour :

eBay

Amazon

Craigslist

Here

Atari Forum

Vintage Computer Federation

Be sure to post a Want To Buy message in the marketplace section of those forums. Throw your net wide.

Okay

Anyway i'm trying out Windows version of Hatari with TOS 1.62 and add TOS 2.06 on STE settings and 4mb of ram to give me idea how many STX files are compatible

Because i'm in a PAL region were i can't find PAL versions of games is it going be a hassle using NTSC versions when i need too?

Okay

Anyway i'm trying out Windows version of Hatari with TOS 1.62 and add TOS 2.06 on STE settings and 4mb of ram to give me idea how many STX files are compatible

Because i'm in a PAL region were i can't find PAL versions of games is it going be a hassle using NTSC versions when i need too?

Hmm ... I haven't run into any issues running PAL or NTSC versions of programs on Hatari. I'm in the US so when I boot up with my TOS 2.06 images I normally see 60 Hz in my status bar. When I run a demo or two from Europe that requires special timings then I do see the 60 Hz change to 50 Hz. Obviously, the 50 Hz and 60 Hz are all emulated/simulated. Runs without a hitch or glitch! :)

Hmm ... I haven't run into any issues running PAL or NTSC versions of programs on Hatari. I'm in the US so when I boot up with my TOS 2.06 images I normally see 60 Hz in my status bar. When I run a demo or two from Europe that requires special timings then I do see the 60 Hz change to 50 Hz. Obviously, the 50 Hz and 60 Hz are all emulated/simulated. Runs without a hitch or glitch! :)

On real 800XL hardware NTSC games are just abit slower so i guess it's the same?

Whilst i'm here what's a good mouse for the ST?

On real 800XL hardware NTSC games are just abit slower so i guess it's the same?

Whilst i'm here what's a good mouse for the ST?

Speed - yes, you will probably notice speed differences. I've bumped into a few European Sound Tracker programs that play faster than expected on my STe. So, you may find some software may run slower than expected on your PAL system.

I use the original STM1 mouse that came with my STe and it's the same model I used 20+ years ago. There are replacement 9-pin mice on eBay and I've seen adapters for interfacing to USB mice as well. Maybe a USB adapter would be a good choice for you if you want to use something light and modern.

To further complicate your options, if you don't like being tethered to a PC, there are also FPGA options like MiST and MiSTer.

Instant on, low power, no host OS in the way.

Yeah i really don't like being hand cuffed to the PC with noisy fans and software and security bullshit updates

Whilst emulation has it's pro's and cons i'd rather deal with real hardware knowing it should behave as expected

Edit: :I would say Hatari is a lot better then few years ago

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...