IGNORED

Artist Rick Guidice

Atari_Warlord

I was looking through Rick Guidice's website the other day and came across the image below in his Atari section. I don't recall ever seeing this so wondered if it was unused art. He did art for several of the Sears Telegames versions of Atari games, so my first thought is that this was intended for Night Driver. Any other thoughts?

489_Slide_0013.jpg

• Like 5

Not too long ago there was an eBay auction for an Atari advertisement in Dutch that included alternate box artwork for Night Driver, as well as Golf (plus the original artwork for Maze Craze):

attachicon.gifnetherlands-ad-3.jpg

Perhaps there are promotional boxes floating around that used the alternate art.

Never see that 3D Tic Tac Toe cover before.

Never see that 3D Tic Tac Toe cover before.

Good eye. I did a double-take with that one too, but I convinced myself that it was just a poor/blurry image. Looking more closely, you're right, it's different artwork.

Interesting, it would be great to get a better scan of that ad.

Yeah. It went for more than I wanted to spend, otherwise I'd have scanned it. Hopefully another one turns up sometime soon.

The alternate Golf art may be a golfer that was more famous in Europe at that time. If my dad was still alive, he'd probably recognize who it was supposed to be. The sunglasses seem like a big clue.

Not sure if they're sunglasses, or only shadows. The golfer looks sorta like Seve Ballesteros to me, who was starting to hit the peak of his career around that time and was more famous in Europe. Then again... it's tough to see much of anything with this photo, and also lots of people in the late 70s and early 80s had hair like that. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, also: file this one to "Extremely Minor But Very Weird": the main title on the Fun With Numbers box appears to use the old Sears Tele-Games font, "Blippo Bold".

• Like 1

Here are a few more interesting ads I found looking through Pinterest last night. The first two have the alternate art for Haunted House and Maze Craze and are priced in pounds. The third in black and white is a little hard to see, but looks like the alternate art for 3-D Tic Tac Toe and maybe a different Blackjack. It was uploaded by 8-bit Central, so maybe he has more information on that one. The last is from the toy industry magazine Playthings and shows an alternate Warlords cover. The Strong museum in Rocherster NY has a big archive of this magazine if anyone lives nearby.

post-292-0-86526100-1549457728_thumb.jpg

post-292-0-18304600-1549457738_thumb.jpg

post-292-0-67021600-1549457745_thumb.jpg

post-292-0-51441200-1549457758_thumb.jpg

Has anyone seen that Warlords art before? Other than this one publication, I still haven't found it anywhere else.

My guess is it was their first pass at it, but someone at corporate thought it looked too "cartoonish" and wanted something more serious, hence the box art we ended up with. Personally, I much prefer it but as Mr. T once said, "I'm a cartoon guy." :dunce:

• Like 1