IGNORED

ColecoVision 17 Watt 3.4 amp USB Power Supply solution (user review)

HDTV1080P

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:10 PM, HDTV1080P said:

The Dragonbox Col USB Power plug for the ColecoVision has went out of production according to my sources and is no longer being stocked by dealers. However, the Dragonbox website in Germany says the Col USB is “out of stock” so maybe under ideal conditions the company might manufacture some more CV-power (Col USB) plugs. But that most likely is wishful thinking. Every authorized Col USB dealer in the United States is out of stock (including all worldwide dealers). Once and awhile the Col USB plug might pop up on EBAY or Amazon from various dealers at inflated prices for new and used units.

ColUSB - USB Power Supply for the Colecovision - Power Supplies (dragonbox.de)

NO LONGER STOCKED ColUSB - USB Power Supply for the Colecovision ColecoPlug USB-C (console5.com)

ColUSB - USB Power Supply / Adapter for the Colecovision - Stone Age Gamer

While its true that no USA dealer has the Col USB plug in stock. It appears that the Col USB plug is still in production. After many months of being out of stock, Dragon Box Shop just sent out a email notifying everyone that there is a total QTY of 339 Col USB plugs that are in stock now.

Therefore if that is correct information, maybe some of the dealers around the world well try to import the Col USB plug to their country. In the past sometimes people had issues trying to get the COL USB plug imported in large QTY’s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, HDTV1080P said:

After many months of being out of stock, Dragon Box Shop just sent out a email notifying everyone that there is a total QTY of 339 Col USB plugs that are in stock now.

I placed my order on 7/23, but I'm yet to receive a shipping notification.  Hopefully it will be on its way soon!

I inquired with Stone Age Gamer, who replied that they will be restocking the ColUSB's when the manufacturer's next batch is made.  Apparently that one will be done in a much larger quantity, which makes sense to import.  May be another month or two.

PS: I did notice that Dragonbox finally has an affordable shipping worldwide service again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I inquired with Stone Age Gamer, who replied that they will be restocking the ColUSB's when the manufacturer's next batch is made.  Apparently that one will be done in a much larger quantity, which makes sense to import.  May be another month or two.

PS: I did notice that Dragonbox finally has an affordable shipping worldwide service again.

This is good news since its the only device in production on the market that powers the ColecoVision. Its good to see them ramp up production again.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, gdoug said:

Any new news on the ColUSB plugs? I have given my email address to Stone Age Gamer site to notify me if they get stock on these, but I would be interested in having a couple of these plugs. Thanks

All the United States dealers have decided not to carry this product or they are having trouble getting stock imported into the United States. According to the Dragon Box website there is now a total of 260 COL USB plugs in stock in Germany. If you buy in small QTY’s (around 7 maximum) you might not have any trouble getting your order, if you want to purchase in large quantities there might be issues getting the COL USB plug.  

Here is the latest link to the Dragon Box Shop website to order the COL USB plug.  

https://dragonbox.de/en/power-supplies/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision.html

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

COLUSB are available on Stone Age Gamer again.

Thanks for the information. I was getting ready to post the same message and you beat me to it. According to the Dragon Box website in Germany they have a total of 227 Col USB in stock. It is good to see USA dealers stock this product once again, since it has been around 2 years since I have seen it in stock in the USA. There is a little bit of inflation occurring on the COL USB product. Stone Age Gamer back in June of 2020 was selling the Col USB plug for $38, now in January 2022 the cost of the exact same product is $48.99 plus shipping. Around a $10 price increase. After one purhases a high quality USB power supply with cable that costs goes up to around $25 for those items. So around $75 or $80+ for the Col USB product when bundled with a high quality USB power supply and cable.

I see both Amazon and EBAY dealers are also selling the COL USB plug once again.    

https://dragonbox.de/en/power-supplies/colusb-usb-power-supply-for-the-colecovision.html

ColUSB - USB Power Supply / Adapter for the Colecovision - Stone Age Gamer

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MrRetroGamer said:

Is Stone Age Gamer a legit site to order from?  Is it assumed that a power supply upgrade such as this will eliminate weird graphics glitching my console has suffered from for many years?

Stone Age is as legit as they come.  Yes it's possible your PSU is causing those, though you might have other issues re: video ram, the most frequent source is the power supply.  Just take note you cannot use a high powered wall adapter with the COLUSB, or it could fry it.

Edited by Greg2600

On 1/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, Greg2600 said:

Stone Age is as legit as they come.  Yes it's possible your PSU is causing those, though you might have other issues re: video ram, the most frequent source is the power supply.  Just take note you cannot use a high powered wall adapter with the COLUSB, or it could fry it.

I think you meant the most frequent source of glitching is the power switch. I have multiple oem supplies and consoles. Only one PSU went bad in the last 38 years. But all of the consoles needed a switch cleaning at some point. 

And +1 to the recommendation on SAG. Their customer service is top notch and they have a wide selection of items.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, MrRetroGamer said:

Is Stone Age Gamer a legit site to order from?  Is it assumed that a power supply upgrade such as this will eliminate weird graphics glitching my console has suffered from for many years?

Very legit. Nice people and quick to ship. I've ordered a bunch from them.

A quick update, got my order from Stone Age Gamer today.  Quick shipping for sure!  As far as this device, my initial quick testing is showing that it HAS cleared up the weird graphics glitching that I have suffered from!  Will have to give it a good thorough work-out for sure, will give me an excuse to play some games again!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Dragonbox in Germany is now officially out of stock on the ColUSB plug.

However StoneAge Gamer still has the Col USB plug in stock and now they have a option to bundle the ColUSB plug with a USB cable and a high quality 15 watt 3.0 amp USB-C power supply that is energy efficient VI DOE rated, FCC tested, and UL listed, for only $61.98.

https://stoneagegamer.com/colusb-power-supply-adapter-for-the-colecovision-usb-c.html

The 17 watt 3.4amp Col USB power supply kit that is offered by some Amazon and EBAY dealers comes with a high gauge gold plated 100 watt 5amp cable and a more powerful power supply, but sometimes was selling for $85 to $99.99.

For a limited time until supplies last, Amazon and EBAY dealers are offering the 17 watt 3.4 amp USB-C Power Supply solution for only $61.98 plus $4.99 shipping. This is an excellent clearance price for those that prefer to power their ColecoVision with a USB power supply solution.   

On 5/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, HDTV1080P said:

However StoneAge Gamer still has the Col USB plug in stock and now they have a option to bundle the ColUSB plug with a USB cable and a high quality 15 watt 3.0 amp USB-C power supply that is energy efficient VI DOE rated, FCC tested, and UL listed, for only $61.98.

https://stoneagegamer.com/colusb-power-supply-adapter-for-the-colecovision-usb-c.html

SAG just started a Memorial Day sale going on right now, they dropped the price to $50. Sale runs till Tuesday 5/31 at noon ET. 

• 9 months later...

This 17 watt ColecoVision power supply solution remains the best value at clearance prices since purchasing everything separately costs around $85 to $99.99. Dragonbox in Germany is still out of stock on the ColUSB plug.

Once USA supplies are gone, this product might be going out of production unless Dragonbox in Germany starts making more. Amazon and EBAY dealers are selling these items starting at $59.99 until supplies last (that amazing price is below what the entire kit cost).   

Edited by HDTV1080P

In all honesty it should not be hard to create your own Colecovision USB power adapter.

If the issue is parts acquisition or price then someone put out a design.
This is off the shelf hardware and not a software package you slaved over for months on end.

I use a meanwell in my ADAM then someone accused me of stealing their design when I bought a meanwell online because it has a -12v and stuck it in my computer.

This also goes for anything you plug into the front like ram expansion.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

8 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Sorry but the ColUSB remains the best Colecovision after-market PSU.  I proved it on my own AV-modded system, as it was the only device that didn't throw tons of interference into the video signal. 

Yes the Col USB plug when connected to a good quality USB power source can offer a nice clean output for the ColecoVision (cleaner output then the existing Mean Well desktop power supplies). However, the absolute best power supplies for nice clean analog output is a legacy ATX power supply with -5 volts DC. When it comes to desktop power supplies the XP Power AEH45UM33 for $73.50 + $10 ColecoVision power cord offers a cleaner output then the Col USB, however the problem is it was not level VI complaint and therefore was taken off the market.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/xp-power/AEH45UM33/7602823

I wish XP Power would develop a replacement for the AEH45UM33, with the replacement being level VI complaint. But the demand for +12 DC, +5 DC, and -5 DC power supplies are much less in the year 2023. One might have to custom order 1,000 to 5,000 power supplies to get a new model made. And the demand for a new ColecoVision/ADAM power supply would be a QTY of 500 or less.

It is cheaper to make a power supply that offers direct +5, -5, and +12 volts DC from a AC 100-240 volts input source, when compared to making a Col USB plug that converts +5 volts USB to +5, -5, and +12 volts DC. However, that being said the COL USB plug does a nice job, and if one day Mean Well stops making -5, +5, and +12 volt power supplies then the COL USB might be the only option if Dragonbox in Germany decides to run off some more COL USB plugs. Or maybe the COL USB plug will also go out of production (they are out of stock on their website). 

Edited by HDTV1080P

3 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

Yes the Col USB plug when connected to a good quality USB power source can offer a nice clean output for the ColecoVision (cleaner output then the existing Mean Well desktop power supplies). However, the absolute best power supplies for nice clean analog output is a legacy ATX power supply with -5 volts DC. When it comes to desktop power supplies the XP Power AEH45UM33 for $73.50 + $10 ColecoVision power cord offers a cleaner output then the Col USB, however the problem is it was not level VI complaint and therefore was taken off the market.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/xp-power/AEH45UM33/7602823

I wish XP Power would develop a replacement for the AEH45UM33, with the replacement being level VI complaint. But the demand for +12 DC, +5 DC, and -5 DC power supplies are much less in the year 2023. One might have to custom order 1,000 to 5,000 power supplies to get a new model made. And the demand for a new ColecoVision/ADAM power supply would be a QTY of 500 or less.

It is cheaper to make a power supply that offers direct +5, -5, and +12 volts DC from a AC 100-240 volts input source, when compared to making a Col USB plug that converts +5 volts USB to +5, -5, and +12 volts DC. However, that being said the COL USB plug does a nice job, and if one day Mean Well stops making -5, +5, and +12 volt power supplies then the COL USB might be the only option if Dragonbox in Germany decides to run off some more COL USB plugs. Or maybe the COL USB plug will also go out of production (they are out of stock on their website). 

I forgot who it was that said if you replace every plank on a boat at what point is it still the original boat?

Star Trek transporters?  Just a replication of you and not you.

So, if all the parts of a Colecovision are changed from the original stock then why not replace the whole thing internally with modern parts.
As long as the external looks and plays the same.

If I had to design a new Coleco power supply I would use the original brick case and change all the internal components to a more reliable deal.  You could even use a USB style charger inside the power brick with the power leads to the system.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

22 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Sorry but the ColUSB remains the best Colecovision after-market PSU.  I proved it on my own AV-modded system, as it was the only device that didn't throw tons of interference into the video signal. 

Have you tried the Keelog PS?  I'm curious how that rates against the Mean Well and the ColUSB.

12 hours ago, Atari Nut said:

Have you tried the Keelog PS?  I'm curious how that rates against the Mean Well and the ColUSB.

A few users here on AA ordered one; and at least one of them had too much noise from it, so I didn't even bother.  As soon as the ColUSB was in stock at Stone Age Gamer, I bought one.