IGNORED

Atari Indy 800 (1975) redux

juanitogan

In 1975, Atari came out with an 8-player, top-down racer called Indy 800. Unknown to most, however, also in 1975, in an alternate timeline where Nikola Tesla managed to prove his genius, a motorsport known as GRITS was skyrocketing in popularity. The eight cars in Indy 800 are really from that alternate universe.

Anyhow, (for legal reasons, I'm sure) my game, GRITS Racing, isn't really a reboot of Indy 800. But, it is a game inspired by Indy 800 (among others) and the eight car colors for the eight players in GRITS Racing are definitely borrowed from Indy 800, as seen here:

oldvsnew

We've just released our first demo of the game, still in development, on itch.io and Steam. I would appreciate some fellow Atari fans taking a look and telling me what you think. I've put a ton of effort into the physics of the car trying to take this game to where no top-down 2D racer has gone before. Drawing the permanent skid marks with good detail was also a huge challenge. You'll need multiple players and dual-analog controllers to really understand this wacked-out, up-to-8-player game.

I hope to also publish this on the new VCS... that is, if I ever hear more than just the occasional blip of an email from their dev team. Also, considering a one-button mode for the game -- which should totally be doable.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just to update the void, I started releasing Linux builds of GRITS Racing a while back.  Thus, this game should be ready for the Atari VCS when it finally arrives.

p.s. Stay tuned (to my itch or twitter account, or something) to see what I've done with River Raid's 2600 code.  It's something you didn't know you always wanted.  It rocks!... and is also coming to Linux and, thus, VCS side loading at least (well, you know, licensing).

• Like 2