IGNORED

SIO2SD Problem

snicklin

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a quick fix (as opposed to buying a new one).

I was in the middle of loading a game, then the SIO2SD went off altogether.

So I tried to load the game again, it went a few steps (loading clicks) and then it went off again.

So then I turned off the Atari, took it out, put it back in again and this time it came on, but with squares all across the display. Nothing was loaded.

If I attempt again, the same thing happens again.

This happens whether I have an SD card in or not.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Damage to Flash memory in Atmega.
Old Fusebit settings did not protect.

Atmega for programming. New good fusebit http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Hardware_en

See also http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179038-what-happened-to-sio2sd-wiki-site/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2269431

Edited by pajero_pn
  • Like 2

Damage to Flash memory in Atmega.

Old Fusebit settings did not protect.

Atmega for programming. New good fusebit http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Hardware_en

See also http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179038-what-happened-to-sio2sd-wiki-site/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2269431

Thank you for such a quick reply! I must admit though, I am not an electronics expert (nor an SIO2SD expert). This damage to the flash memory, is it permanent? Or can I reflash it and it will be OK?

How do I reflash it? Just put the SIO2SD.xex in the root directory? I also do not understand what "fuse bits" are. If there are any online guides to these, feel free to point me to them.

Thank you, and sorry for my naivety!

@paul : Yes, I did check for that. It had just been working when it stopped working, so I thought that maybe something had come loose, so I took the cable off and then put it back on again. I also checked that the card was fully in.

Please take a grep or google search or whatever of the forums here, I and others have posted about programming wires devices and programs like pony prog etc. for just this task.. you will have to connect wires to the board or install a header, then using a cable and programming software or a programmer... write the atmega sio2sd firmware again with correct fuse bits. When done you need to make sure to use a quality sio cable so a brown out atmega condition doesn't scramble it's brains again...

FJC and I always forgot about the cables we made, so I know both he and I posted making them and the pinouts here on AA

Edited by _The Doctor__

Please take a grep or google search or whatever of the forums here, I and others have posted about programming wires devices and programs like pony prog etc. for just this task.. you will have to connect wires to the board or install a header, then using a cable and programming software or a programmer... write the atmega sio2sd firmware again with correct fuse bits. When done you need to make sure to use a quality sio cable so a brown out atmega condition doesn't scramble it's brains again...

FJC and I always forgot about the cables we made, so I know both he and I posted making them and the pinouts here on AA

Thank you _The Doctor__, you've confirmed for me that this is probably a task beyond me as I am not comfortable with such things.

I'll buy a new one instead. Much appreciated from you all! Shame because I was going to hang on for the SIDE3, but that doesn't seem to be appearing.

Probably best as I would imagine its along the lines of the same money to re-fuse it as a newie and less hassle.. :)

Also there is the fear factor I have when you flash hardware and it says "This is non reversible and do not turn off the power during the flash"....I always dread the electric meter going off for some outside reason..

I'm just as worried when updating the PS4 etc...The word 'Brick' comes to mind..

Probably best as I would imagine its along the lines of the same money to re-fuse it as a newie and less hassle.. :)

Also there is the fear factor I have when you flash hardware and it says "This is non reversible and do not turn off the power during the flash"....I always dread the electric meter going off for some outside reason..

I'm just as worried when updating the PS4 etc...The word 'Brick' comes to mind..

Just got one from Lotharek direct with a case this time. I suspect that it was me holding the bare board while selecting stuff caused the malfunction.

Ahh yes, I hate updating anything. I remember when I worked at HP and out of 35 computers that I flashed the BIOS for, it was the very first one that I did which messed up. It only happened to be the secretary's computer who had a lot of important docs on there, so I had to then go and recover whatever I could.

I also used Windows update around a year ago and then had no access to my system. Hence now, I try to put all important docs into the cloud a.k.a. someone else's computer.

I am sure some one in Australia could do it for you, but if not you could always donate it to my or another's' reclamation collection... sometimes we like to resurrect stuff just for fun. :)

Ahh, I'd be willing to give it away to your collection if you were willing to pay the postage. I'm not sure what it'd cost, but I could send it by the cheapest option (probably Australia Post).

I've bought myself one with a case this time so that this doesn't happen again.

I'd just spent hours rearranging my room so that the Atari is in a better position and the main device I'd use with it is now kaput!

I encountered this problem the other day with my 1200XL and an SIO2SD.

I was using a 9VAC 1A power supply (an Australian one) as I couldn’t use the 9VAC 3A power supply I received with it from the US - the unit would power down mid read.

I dug out an Australian PSU for an 1050 disk drive and used that with the 1200XL and SIO2SD. The SIO2SD is powered by the SIO port so it was obviously drawing more power than the 1A PSU could supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1