IGNORED

Kaboom! Deluxe!

SpiceWare

• 2 months later...

Nope, been busy of late working on my presentation for the Houston Arcade Expo. I like to revise it each year based on how the prior year went, which was way too long with 79 slides. I'll be speaking at 7pm on Friday the 15th, so want to have it finished by this weekend which would give me next week to practice it.

Thanks for the reminder though, I'd also been sidetracked with setting up my new TV and the Harmony/Melody Club where I've finished the setup instructions and started the CDFJ forum. I'm hopeful we'll see others besides Chris, John, and myself taking advantage of the Melody Board

• Like 3

On 3/13/2019 at 7:47 AM, SpiceWare said:

Hmm, looks like I have a couple other things to fix. The Activision logo is a bit scrambled, and when attract mode kicks in the bottom area shows things it shouldn't.

post-3056-0-24342800-1552488323.png

The logo issue is most likely due to a branch that's now crossing a page. It might fix itself by the time I finish writing the Mad Bomber throttling routine.

what is the attract mode?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally felt inspired to work on this again and made some progress this weekend.

Player controlled Mad Bomber routines were so messed up it made the Pitch & Catch variations unplayable, and it's been so long since I'd last worked on the routines that I didn't remember what I was attempting to do. So I tracked down a copy of the source from February 7, 2019 and used it to restore my original logic. Now that it's back to being playable I can start over on the throttle routines.

I fixed the extra black bars that show up around the logo when in attract mode (scroll up to Reply 57 to see them).

kaboom_deluxe_dbg_05271da9.thumb.png.b38ab3243e6a0fc5a21401f3539d6dde.png

While working on that, I realized something's messed up with the attract mode as it's aborting the color cycling after ~17 seconds. There's a variable called attractMode and in Kaboom it does this:

• count up from 0, incrementing once every 256 frames
  • when it hits $80 the color cycling starts
  • When it increments from $FF it the goes to $80, not $00 - this keeps the color cycling going

In Kaboom Deluxe it's doing this:

• count up from 0, incrementing once every 256 frames
  • when it hits $80 the color cycling starts
  • When it increments from $83 it goes to $00, turning off the color cycling

Current To Do List:

• throttle player controlled Mad Bomber movement based on Game # and Level #
  • update difficulty switch routines to work correctly in new game variations
  • figure out how I broke Attract mode, and fix it
  • during Attract Mode the background in the Activision logo area shows some extra on the left & right vs Kaboom, need to figure out how to hide that

161490582_Kaboom!(1981)(Activision).thumb.png.b7f84c0ca94880fe8f99146bb1010d1d.png

• Like 5

Finished up the Activision logo area, it now looks like it should during attract mode. I was also able to make the rainbow and white text color cycle.

kaboom_deluxe.thumb.png.34bda3cf61ae5a7b5f4ff94f82603b80.png

Somehow the issue with the attract mode aborting fixed itself - I hate bugs like that.

For games 3+ I've added the ball object to the top to show the Mad Bomber's paddle position.

kaboom_deluxe_2.thumb.png.03f23de1817511bbf960c49f74a10f4a.png

kaboom_deluxe_1.thumb.png.2f8b7ec6422410a79ffa1410b5b804c2.png

At the moment they always line up, but eventually it'll help the player controlling the Mad Bomber. If you're not clear on how that'll help then check out the Dancing Dragon easter egg in Medieval Mayhem. Trigger it by pressing the buttons on both paddles plugged into the left port.

Player 1's paddle controls the line below the dragon.  In this image the dragon is dancing in place:

233270932_MedievalMayhem(NTSC).thumb.png.ce4903c933e4a032232915f7fe6f73d3.png

In this image the dragon is dancing to the right:

1999594700_MedievalMayhem(NTSC)_1.thumb.png.78084a374d30aecc8836a03a52ecbc4d.png

• Like 4

On 3/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, Kaboomer said:

Really looking forward to this Darrell!

Yesterday I updated the skyline & buildings kernel to color cycle during attract mode:

kaboom_deluxe.thumb.png.5592089e5a14b31189f4ca947df6c0f3.png

The added code shifted the graphic data for Activision just enough to cause a page break, which throws off the time critical logo loop by 1 cycle. That results in scrambled text:

kaboom_deluxe_1.thumb.png.8b85be71ea25932fcaaac44432e7646f.png

To fix that I moved the graphic data to prevent the page break, but now attract mode no longer activates.  Moving data shouldn't change program logic, just execution time - the fact that it's doing so is extremely frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Are you sure that there a no magic numbers (pointers) affected now?

Turned out to be the paddles plugged in with Stelladapter while Stella was configured for Joystick. The paddle was turned just enough to sometimes trigger joystick left/right, which is equivalent to pressing paddle buttons. Pressing either one resets the attractMode counter in Kaboom:

Overscan SUBROUTINE
   lda #OVERSCAN_TIME
   sta TIM64T                       ; set timer for overscan
   ldx SWCHA                        ; read the paddle fire buttons
   inx
   beq CalculateBucketPosition      ; branch if fire buttons not pressed
   sty attractMode                  ; y = 0 from above copyright loop

Installing the latest Stella fixed that due to Stella's new controller detection.

Latest thing that broke is the bombs are no longer smooth scrolling down the screen, they're now jumping row to row like an LCD game.

• Like 1

• Game variations 3-8 are Pitch and Catch
  • Throttle routines are in place
  • Finished attract mode
  • Games 3+ uses ball behind the score to show paddle position for player controlling the Mad Bomber

The throttle routines use Game # + Level #, so the max distance the Mad Bomber can move per frame is:

• Game 3 moves 2- 9
  • Game 4 moves 3-10
  • Game 5 moves 4-11
  • Game 6 moves 5-12
  • Game 7 moves 6-13
  • Game 8 moves 7-14

I can adjust the throttle amounts, such as use Game # + (Level # / 2),  just need feedback for how this works for y'all.

TODO:

• update difficulty switch routines to work correctly for games 3+

NTSC

kaboom_deluxe_20200329_NTSC.bin

PAL

kaboom_deluxe_20200329_PAL.bin

PAL60

kaboom_deluxe_20200329_PAL60.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2019 at 8:18 PM, spspspsp said:

I noticed one issue, however: when playing mode 3 and P1 is the bomber, the difficultly switch for P2 seems to be stuck on the "a" difficulty. That is, P2 can only use the small buckets (or whatever they are) for catching bombs. If I flip the switch from "a" to "b" the large buckets appear for a split second but them immediately shrink again.

Had this on my To Do list and finally got around to taking a look at it today.  I am not able to recreate it - only thing I noticed was if the difficulty switch is set to A then the buckets are smaller and the Mad Bomber can go a little further to the right. Still plays fine, so not something I plan to change.

If you're still experiencing it then your difficulty switch might be at fault.  Easy way to test that is to play a 2 player game of Space Invaders and see if player 2's base is always big.  Easiest way to do that is with the Menu version of Space Invaders by @Omegamatrix:

1930504268_SpaceInvadersMenu(rev1).thumb.png.54b52f4d76b3af4db9a61ee0069d6b2a.png

632509834_SpaceInvadersMenu(rev1)_2.thumb.png.55c3a1bfb8aa3a712971d27b5f53cc03.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Kaboom! Deluxe! LIVE on tomorrow's (Sat Apr 11) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

New build based on feedback from the live stream. The throttle routines use Game # + Level # / 2, and dropped starting speed by 1, so the max distance the Mad Bomber can move per frame is:

• Game 3 moves 1-4
  • Game 4 moves 2-5
  • Game 5 moves 3-6
  • Game 6 moves 4-7
  • Game 7 moves 5-8
  • Game 8 moves 6-9

If this looks good then I'm done with the hack.

NTSC

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_NTSC.bin

PAL

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_PAL.bin

PAL60

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_PAL60.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

New build based on feedback from the live stream. The throttle routines use Game # + Level # / 2, and dropped starting speed by 1, so the max distance the Mad Bomber can move per frame is:

• Game 3 moves 1-4
  • Game 4 moves 2-5
  • Game 5 moves 3-6
  • Game 6 moves 4-7
  • Game 7 moves 5-8
  • Game 8 moves 6-9

If this looks good then I'm done with the hack.

NTSC

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_NTSC.bin 4 kB · 10 downloads

PAL

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_PAL.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

PAL60

kaboom_deluxe_20200411_PAL60.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

Looks and feels good. My wife and I like games 5 & 6 the most. She had fun trying to psych me out!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaboomer said:

Question for SpiceWare: Is it too late to add "Restart by pressing red paddle button" feature?

I took a quick look - it appeared to be simple change, but turned out the game active/inactive wasn't implemented like I thought. This resulted in the game reseting (score to 0) every time you press the button.

Out of time for now, will look into it more later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1