IGNORED

Kaboom! Deluxe!

SpiceWare

• 8 months later...
40 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

This made my morning :D

I'm nobody special, but I ALSO love this hack.  I thought I had commented in this thread, but I guess not.

The only thing missing for me are the faster levels from previous Kaboom hacks:  Kaboom 9 and Sadoom+.  If there was an option to switch to Kaboom 9 and/or Sadoom+ mode in Kaboom Deluxe then I would only ever play this version for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

The only thing missing for me are the faster levels from previous Kaboom hacks

Due to this followup tweet by @BillConiglio I'm going to revisit Kaboom! Deluxe! to fill in the Mad Bomber's eyes.  Do you have links handy for these faster hacks?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Due to this followup tweet by @BillConiglio I'm going to revisit Kaboom! Deluxe! to fill in the Mad Bomber's eyes.  Do you have links handy for these faster hacks?

Kaboom9 is just a single level of Kaboom that is beyond level 8.  It follows the odd level pattern where the bomber is more sporadic in dropping bombs as opposed to the even level pattern where they often come down in big wormy chains. Link:  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31589-your-current-addiction/?do=findComment&comment=364137

I got Sadoom+ from this thread below, but I know Sadoom existed earlier.  They both start on level 7 and incorporate the same 9th level as Kaboom9.  They then extend it beyond to levels 10, 11 etc.  I think I've only ever made it to level 11 1 time.  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/295895-editing-existing-atari-games/?do=findComment&comment=4355714.  (I'll come back and edit if I find the dev thread).

Here were the suggestions I offered to Thomas about Sadoom+

1. To make the game more like a true training program, you could give us a game mode that starts at level 6 and does not advance past level 8.  It would let you practice more of what the actual game is like when going for a high score.  For me, when I am getting up above 20k or so, I spend time bouncing back and forth between level 7 and 8, but I also sometimes will intentionally drop down to level 6 with just one bucket to try and build my score back up before getting back to level 8.
  2. When I am advancing past level 8, I could really use some "reserve buckets."  For speeds that fast, it would be really nice to have a few buckets in reserve that could keep me playing with 3 buckets even if I lose one.  I find that I can get into a groove on level 9 and clear it with 3 buckets, but losing 1 bucket on 10 means I need to attempt 9 with just two.  I'd see more of the faster levels if I could build up 3 to 5 reserve buckets.
  3. Give us the option to play a "button reset" version the original game.  This is not really required, but it would save me from having to change carts when I want to go back to the original. <- I think Kaboom Deluxe takes care of this one

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sadoom!+ has a new set of rules for dropping the bombs. When it gets going faster then level 9 there is a pattern that comes out of the game which is why Sadoom!+ had to change it up which means the game is more random then the original game. That being stated I have no idea if the games could be merged with Deluxe unless Deluxe is also given the same random ratios as Sadoom!+ I do not know how all of this works as Thomas made the game with my help to test. I would also like to see a merged variation. As for reserve buckets well I already asked for that and I would still like to see it, I was told it can be done but will not be done as Thomas proclaims it will ruin the original intention of how the game plays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, overgrouth said:

Also I woukd lioe to make Sadoom! And Sadoom!+ patches. Already got a manufacture to do the job need to make a design I just need to know who all has interest.

I know @Machine has made alot of the missing Activision patches already, but I'm not sure if he has someone else design them or he does it.

29 minutes ago, Arenafoot said:

I know @Machine has made alot of the missing Activision patches already, but I'm not sure if he has someone else design them or he does it.

I designed several, @TrekMD designed several, and 4-5 I paid someone to design them from scratch.  The Lynx brain patch Grazi made, she is an amazing artist. The Cosmic Commuter was all done from scratch. I hired someone local for that and it is also amazing.

If you(@overgrouth) have any questions on the patches(like printed vs. embroidered) let me know. Some art looks better as a printed patch, and some looks better as embroidered.

Also, I have tried several patch companies, I like some better than others. Some are not as nice as the company I use. I have seen some that are cheap looking and feeling.

Mine look just like the old Activision patches from the 80s.....

Edited by Machine
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Maybe a „little late“ for the party but just found this one. I downloaded the last (?) PAL60 version of it but on my real Atari (light sixer) the colors flicker. Did I miss something?

Lastest build is 20200517.  Looks like an extra scan line crept in there for both the PAL versions, those should be 262 and 312 in the status display at the upper-left:

image.thumb.png.18748cf480fa738d2bf31cf15468861c.png

image.thumb.png.48aa7df9cf1a9d0ba55b2b79538bd0e1.png

The NTSC version is 262. Strange as the only difference should be the color values, which shouldn't impact the scanline counts.

image.thumb.png.9a55abfc5927d00baaa037703a4d46fb.png

The odd number of scanlines will cause color issues for PAL, I'm shocked nobody else has noticed that in the past few years.  I'll see if I can't fix that this evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took a look on my lunch break.  The scanline counts for the 20200413 version were OK so I compared the source with current:

20200413 source on left, 20200517 source on right

image.thumb.png.2face5110979fa9e09b15693e9546310.png

For some reason I'd decreased the OVERSCAN_TIME value by 1 for NTSC, but did not do the same for PAL or PAL60.

Summary of changes:

• Added sunset city skyline.
  • Updated Activision logo to the rainbow variant.
  • Added game variations 3-8, Pitch and Catch where the other player controls the Mad Bomber. Mad Bomber moves slowest in 3, fastest in 8. Game play for variations 1 and 2 is the same as in the original Kaboom!
  • Paddle position indicator for Mad Bomber player.
  • Paddle button to start new game.

Skyline & Rainbow logo:

kaboom_deluxe.png.667e25ae1239407a444ebc

In games 3+ a paddle position indicator will show up behind the score:

kaboom_deluxe_1.png.20d97ef3739d04261598

NTSC

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_NTSC.bin

PAL

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_PAL.bin

PAL60

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_PAL60.bin

Source

kaboom_deluxe.asm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 9/25/2023 at 12:31 PM, SpiceWare said:

Summary of changes:

• Added sunset city skyline.
  • Updated Activision logo to the rainbow variant.
  • Added game variations 3-8, Pitch and Catch where the other player controls the Mad Bomber. Mad Bomber moves slowest in 3, fastest in 8. Game play for variations 1 and 2 is the same as in the original Kaboom!
  • Paddle position indicator for Mad Bomber player.
  • Paddle button to start new game.

Skyline & Rainbow logo:

kaboom_deluxe.png.667e25ae1239407a444ebc

In games 3+ a paddle position indicator will show up behind the score:

kaboom_deluxe_1.png.20d97ef3739d04261598

NTSC

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_NTSC.bin 4 kB · 12 downloads

PAL

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_PAL.bin 4 kB · 1 download

PAL60

kaboom_deluxe_20230925_PAL60.bin 4 kB · 2 downloads

Source

kaboom_deluxe.asm 86.67 kB · 1 download

Any interest in combining features with Sadoom+?  That would go beyond deluxe . . . Ultimate Kaboom!