IGNORED

Games based on Atari 2600 game art

doctorclu

Reading "The Art of Atari" right now which features the beautiful art that was on the cartridges and boxes. I must have looked at those for hours as they gave inspiration to the game I was playing.

While imagination is always better what is interesting is we now have the processing power to make games like those on the box!

Take this Joust commercial from the 80s for example:

Now there is a game that would be very easy to do on today's gaming systems.

A game with more detailed version of the cockpit for Star Raiders:

post-4709-0-07506000-1549167336.png

A more 3D concept for Berzerk:

post-4709-0-16523500-1549167393.png

I think as a kid I always wondered "What if the game was more like the game art?" And now we could actually see that.

What game art inspired you and how did you imagine it?

• Like 2

No doubt the art on most of the boxes and cartridges were truly compelling. Looking at them today, I'm reminded of the feeling I got when seeing them for the first time. But as time went on, I think things got a little cheesy. Like when they ditched the art and started photographing people on winged horses. :lol:

post-13896-0-83487100-1549286320.jpg

• Like 2

Reading "The Art of Atari" right now which features the beautiful art that was on the cartridges and boxes. I must have looked at those for hours as they gave inspiration to the game I was playing.

BITD, I also looked at the box art and d would let my mind wander. I used funtack and had my boxes stuck to my bedroom wall in a pattern. It looked pretty cool, I thought. I also have "The Art of Atari", it is stored in my 3rd bedroom/ office/ homebrewing room. It is great to peruse through it now and then. Atari had great artists who used a realistic painted style for their box art. Activision, Imagic, and other companies had simpler art. I actually like Parker Brothers box art a lot too.

The box art I remember the most ... Missile Command, Defender, Moon Patrol, and Yars Revenge.

• Like 1

I imagine that the Activision game art would be entirely feasible to implement as a game - in fact - I think I remember seeing a homebrew version of Barnstorming for PC that used the box art style.

With respect to the Atari boxes - the earlier games are what really resonate with me. Probably a lot to do with nostalgia - but many of those boxes really fired the imagination. I didn't really want the game to look like the artwork as I've always like the abstract look of videogames and I still prefer abstract games to those that try and recreate reality.

The work of Cliff Spohn is probably my favourite. For me, the box-art of that era is the pinnacle of the art form - matched only by the beautiful box-art that can be seen on some of the Japanese releases of N64 games.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 4

Yep, i'm a big colelctor of import N64 games. A lot of them are beautiful.

I imagine that the Activision game art would be entirely feasible to implement as a game - in fact - I think I remember seeing a homebrew version of Barnstorming for PC that used the box art style.

With respect to the Atari boxes - the earlier games are what really resonate with me. Probably a lot to do with nostalgia - but many of those boxes really fired the imagination. I didn't really want the game to look like the artwork as I've always like the abstract look of videogames and I still prefer abstract games to those that try and recreate reality.

The work of Cliff Spohn is probably my favourite. For me, the box-art of that era is the pinnacle of the art form - matched only by the beautiful box-art that can be seen on some of the Japanese releases of N64 games.

I feel like Bit Trip Runner (the first one, with chiptune music and no voices) looks like an Activision box come to life.

Berserk with painting-style graphics would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath for someone to make it. That aesthetic of graphics seems to have gone out of style, sadly.

Remember Prince of Persia 2008? It was like a painting come to life. Mmmmmmm, pretty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_(2008_video_game)

• Like 1

BASIC Programming's box as the game... well, all I wanna do is make the guy black and then I'll sit well with what I said about him. Come on, that's an example of the retro-futurism I was talking about with Cyborg. (I bet I'll base the main character of my stories off who I call the BASIC Guy now, looking like him but only black.)

But Fantastic Voyage? GOOD GOD I'D LOVE TO SEE A VERSION OF THAT! Plus you could exit through the eye like it depicts on the box. And we could base it off the film. Yes, we'll include the inner ear part, Tiffany.

Oh, and Superman. Nuff said.

Edited by Syzygy1
  • Like 1

I hear ya and i think this would actually be pretty cool to see on modern systems. I think Berzerk would be cool reimagined within the DOOM engine. That aside i still love the basic styles of Atari games and will always love the box art.

Agree, Castle Wolfenstein (predecessor to doom) seems like it was inspired by Berzerk set in a 3D virtual world.

I think the Jag started to realize the box art as the game concept with titles like Cybermorph, Iron Soldier and

A game with more detailed version of the cockpit for Star Raiders:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-02-02 at 10.14.30 PM.png

… BattleSphere Gold seems so inspired :)

• Like 1

Its no longer around, as Disney closed the attraction several years back, but the Body Wars ride at Epcot Center (which used the same system as the Star Wars Star Tours ride) was just like a real life Fantastic Voyage game.

I have seen that ride; it used to be one of my favorites to look at on YouTube (I was 4 going on 5 when it closed) before I started hating Disney for being such a conglomerate. Star Tours is better IMO (Captain Rex!! and the whole Star Wars thing.)

Not quite. They escaped through the brain, not the eye; there was no splinter in the game (nor were they in the skin in the game), no lungs; just I think the heart and brain. And there was no blood clot in the ride. And there wasn't a grown up Jonny Quest playing a Marty McFly looking captain in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

(over 24 hours later)

No one used to dream of literal game versions from the game art?

I used to when I was a kid, particularly with Berzerk and Demons to Diamonds. In fact, a few years ago, I had briefly planned on creating a Demons to Diamonds remake based off of the cover art but I never got around to it. I had also thought about doing a Pitfall game using graphics more in line with the cover art for the original.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd still like to see that beautiful painting skill applied to a modern remake of the game set inside Victor Stone...

Is it really necessary to drop a Cyborg reference into every topic? I can't think of a single thread you've replied to in which you haven't mentioned Cyborg at least once, and it's getting tiresome. This discussion has nothing to do with Cyborg!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it really necessary to drop a Cyborg reference into every topic? I can't think of a single thread you've replied to in which you haven't mentioned Cyborg at least once, and it's getting tiresome. This discussion has nothing to do with Cyborg!

See my profile. I can relate him to anything 80s. It's like some special needs kid who's a Marvel fan. "Is Spider-Man in this? Where's Spider-Man?" There HAS been some threads where I don't mention Cyborg, but it's just my mindset. Cyborg is who I think of when I think 80s, alongside, of course, Atari games and all that jazz. Just ignore me if you don't like it. Let the teenage fan do their thing.

Edited by Syzygy1

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, Supergun said:

Its no longer around, as Disney closed the attraction several years back, but the Body Wars ride at Epcot Center (which used the same system as the Star Wars Star Tours ride) was just like a real life Fantastic Voyage game.

If you look close at the end, you can see the patient in that ride is a woman. Because you now know why I like Fantastic Voyage so much, you KNOW I don't want to see the insides of women. Or children. 

Whoever thought they needed to go inside a woman should rethink their life.

• 6 months later...