IGNORED

Atari 2600 for modern tv

starpodlog

No, I want to use an original 2600 on a modern tv

And my POINT is if you have to ask that question then it's not likely for you. Get a FB9 as it looks so much better than vintage Atari 2600 will ever look on a modern TV. I actually use my FB9 almost exclusively compared to my real Atari 2600 because the rewind is great and picture is far better. As far too many Atari 2600 games are hard as hell and a rewind is just awesome.

Ok so real answer you ask for but don't really want and believe me the solution will completely suck with extra wires, power cords and cost about $150!

You can but need to combine 2 components:

Those Amazon links are just examples. Make sure to get the correct equipment for your situation (NTSC, PAL, etc...)

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say "vast". Coax is stil used wisely for antennas. The only brand I know that consistently drops this is Visio, though I'm sure there are others.

Coax will be gone in a few years. The large cable companies are lobbying (bribing) the TV manufactures to remove coax so your average Joe is more likely to go with the cable company... and hush hush the local free TV over the air.

And well millennials just need a hdmi ports, wireless and ethernet port.

Edited by thetick1

All this talk of the Flashback, but there is something very pure about hooking up an actual Atari and flipping that on/off switch after popping in a game.

Yes like crooked teeth, disco, leisure suits and bad hair. I just can't bear to play video games on a CRT even if it's a legend like an Atari 2600.

Yes like crooked teeth, disco, leisure suits and bad hair. I just can't bear to play video games on a CRT even if it's a legend like an Atari 2600.

I think you'll find that you're in the minority here: most of us have a preference for crooked teeth and bad hair.

• Like 2

I haven't used a CRT in about 7 or 8 years. I picked up a 15" LCD with multiple inputs then, RF, AV, S-video, component, and HDMI. It actually works great and has a nice picture with no noticeable lag, but the 15" screen is puny.

About a year ago I bought a 27" Dell monitor. It only has HDMI input, but has a great picture. WIth a cheap $10 AV2HDMI convertor I find it is decent for my more recent systems such as my Jaguar, but of course I can't use the 27" with my older RF-output systems.

As much as I want to hook up my Atari 2600 to my HD TV, it just looks terrible and I can't bear to play it in that condition. I gladly play with an HD compatible device (FB9) and the fact that I can play the rest of my games off the SD card makes it a no brainer (and much cheaper) as I don't have a messy stack of carts lying around. There's no denying the screen quality on an HD compatible device is superior!

• Like 1

Probably the cheapest option is to look for a 13" CRT (or bigger if you have room). Just show up wherever your city collects them and 'take your pick.' I live in a major city and there usually isn't even an attendant at the collection area. I can drive right up and even test them with a converter from my car. In two weeks if you don't like that option, just take it back to the trash.

• Like 1