IGNORED

PS5 May Be Fully Backwards Compatible

So apparently because of some recent patent filings, there is a possibility the PS5 could be fully backwards compatible.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64711/ps5-patent-teases-ps1-ps2-ps3-ps4-backwards-compatibility/index.html

I hope this is true, and if it is, i'll be selling my PS123 and 4. Honestly the reason I own an Xbone is because it's backwards compatible with many X box and X box 360 titles, as well as X box arcade. It's a big selling point for me.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Other rumors have said that PS5 will be streaming-only, no physical media. :lolblue:

All I know is that I'm probably going to sit out this next round of consoles. I say that every generation, but this time I mean it -- my time played vs. money spent ratio is truly ridiculous.

I should have sat out PS4. Got one at launch, it probably hasn't even been turned on for more than 24 hours total.

• Like 1

All I know is that I'm probably going to sit out this next round of consoles. I say that every generation, but this time I mean it -- my time played vs. money spent ratio is truly ridiculous.

Agreed. If the PS5 is not fully backwards compatible, I am 100% sitting out this gen. And I mean it this time!!

• Like 1

Been here too many times before. These early rumors almost always end up being proven as the creation of some writer looking for hits on their website.

And if it's the patent I saw the other day that they're using as evidence (Something about an identifier that will make the CPU downgrade to an older standard, much like the Wii when running GameCube games does), they're really stretching things to suggest this sort of conclusion based off of it.

And with Sony's success and arrogance, I'd frankly just be happy if the disc drive is still present on the PS4 and that our PS4 software transfers forward. Really no excuse this time like Sony and Microsoft had the last time out of the gate. These things are very much like PC's today and all rumors point towards that still being the case with the Xbox 4 and Playstation 5.

Sony saw an opportunity early this generation to be consumer friendly and it paid off handsomely. But time and again since those early days, it has appeared that they're coasting instead of still trying to win us over, such as making people pay all over again for the same PS2 game that they had bought digitally off the PS3 store.

If anyone has grand backwards compatibility plans for this upcoming generation, I predict it will be Microsoft. Unlike Sony, they're working hard in catch-up mode to make fan friendly decisions thanks to their distant 2nd place position. I suspect it will be them that go the extra mile while Sony will perhaps play it a bit safe with the same fallacy they had exiting the PS2 era.

150 million PS2's didn't automatically win the race the next generation and it won't seal the deal for Sony this time, either.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Maybe it's cuz I'm a cheap old bastard, but they got me to stop the upgrade train when they started charging monthly subscriptions just to use the damn things. If it was more a points or hourly use system where I didn't pay for the box to sit collecting dust, I might still be in it. I've got the shield online gaming service in beta for free, but I scarcely use it, so I doubt I'd use any paid subscription gaming stuff. Hurumpfffh.

• Like 3

Especially if Sony took it all the way and made backwards compatibility region free and HD rendering for PS1/PS2 software (And perspective correction for PS1 textures), I'd be there as quickly as I could. :)

Compatibility with PSP and Vita downloads would also be neat to see in this fantasy.

• Like 1

Other rumors have said that PS5 will be streaming-only, no physical media. :lolblue:

My backlog of old stuff is huge and growing. I had intended to stop this generation, but the switch has been awesome. I think I've spent more time watching DVDs and Blurays on my PS4 than playing games.

If they give me a PS1 to PS5 sign me up. If it's strictly PS5 (which I assume it will be) I have a ton of PS4 games to keep me rockin' until at least the first price drop a year later after it's released. I've told the kids they are all old enough now that if they want the next gen console they have to pony up on their own this time. Bank of Dad is closed to business with day one Playstation purchasing.

• Like 3

The PS4 was a huge let down for me outside of a tiny slice of games because the IPs were less to me than they were on the last generation so the PS5 I don't see me getting. While more, I'd be happier with an upgraded computer that would beat it out anyway, much as my 4 year old laptop can still keep up with the PS4 Pro as it is.

Given the current/pro versions of the consoles out there now are locked down PCs anyway basically, it's not a big surprise that backwards compatibility would be something that could be done, likely very easily, but also as easily disabled if they wanted to be jerks about it too as it can go both ways. I find my console gaming is more than satisfied using a computer and Switch for on the go for those things. I won't say never though, I've found oddly I've enjoyed the ODD numbered Sony systems (PS1, PS3, PSP) far more than the even (PS2, PS4, Vita.)

this wouldn't surprise me, the PS4 is the first console Sony have made that didn't have a big focus on back compat.

Microsoft are kicking goals and everyone goes on about it like they invented it but let's not forget Nintendo put a gamecube in the wii and a wii in the wiiu. sony put a ps1 in the ps2 and a ps2 in the first ps3 models.

so back compat for ps5 would simply be a return to form.

however, the future is renting games back to you under the banner of a subscription so expect to see a big push for an expanded psnow rather than a full back compat box.

that's my 2c.

If they want to save money on an optical drive they could offer it as a USB drive sold separately for those of us that want to play movies, CDs, and our original games. I have no interest in a PSNow product that I have to continue to pay for games I already own.

Seems more likely to me that they'll write you off and focus on the younger generation, who won't have these kind of hangups, and also have time to play many games.

Microsoft are kicking goals and everyone goes on about it like they invented it but let's not forget Nintendo put a gamecube in the wii and a wii in the wiiu. sony put a ps1 in the ps2 and a ps2 in the first ps3 models.

so back compat for ps5 would simply be a return to form.

And Atari put a 2600 into a 7800...let's not forget that. I'm not sure who truly invented backward compatibility. I guess you could say the 5200 and Coleco and eventually the Intellivision. But they created separate devices that were basically clones that borrowed the power and video from the parent consoles they plugged into. Yeah...the 7800 might technically be the first built in backwards compatible system and I believe it was always designed to be from the beginning?

• Like 1