IGNORED

Music-X Can't Get MIDI Keyboard To Work A500

blainelocklair

1. Load your samples the way you always load.

2. Go to Menu Set Filters

3 Click on the "1" on top (You should see 1,2,3,4...16, these are your channels/sample numbers), then click on the bottom INTERNAL

4 Do that to all samples.

5. When you press a key on the midi controller, you should be able to hear the 1st sample.

6. Press record to record the melody.

7. Press stop when done then press STORE

8. Change the OUT to INT

For some reason, you can only record with first sample (why? don't know)

When you want to change the instrument number, go to EDIT, then OPTIONS->SELECT ALL, the click on the bottom desired channel number, which is your sample number.

Press play and it should play with new sample.

Progress! I can record different instruments to different tracks. It's starting to come together. I followed the steps above and it let me play live directly through the M-Audio.

Here's where it got a bit challenging. I can play live and hear it anytime. Thing is, it's always the sound of the metronome. For example, I loaded mellosynth on track 02 and a bass drum on track 03. When I record them, I hear the sound being played live as the metronome sounds. When I go back and "Select All" and change the instrument, as mentioned above, it will set them correctly. It just sounds funny playing a metronome sound instead of the sound I actually intend to record. I'm sure there's a setting for this somewhere I've overlooked.

This is really cool. Again, thank you for all of your help on my learning journey!

Blaine

Ok, cool. I can hear the correct instrument playing live now. Thank you!

An interesting thing happened on the way to musical MIDI bliss. I noticed that the sounds are transposed up about four notes. For example, pressing middle C makes the E note four notes above it on the scale. Basically, all notes played on the M-Audio are transposed up four notes. I have an octave shift set of buttons on the M-Audio that will shift one complete octave up or down. Not aware of something causing the notes to transpose one key up or down.

Any idea what would cause this in Music-X?

If I can figure this out, I think this will close this out as "done". I can then record to Music-X or live play out of it with samples, which will give me plenty to work with.

Thanks!
Blaine

Ok, this one is solved at the M-Audio controller. The same large buttons that control octave shifts can also transpose one key at a time. Holding them in together will show the current transposition (default is 0) and allow changing up and down. I was able to set it down by four (-4), which set the sound to match the keys perfectly.

I want to thank you again so much for all of your help along this journey of learning and discovery of mine. It would not have been possible without your help. I am indebted to you for your patience, advice, and for stepping up to help a complete stranger that shares the same passion for Amiga that you do. I will find a way to repay your kindness.

All my thanks,

Blaine

Quick note: I found an easy set of samples to use on the Deluxe Music II disk 2. It's all samples, and they're all direct compatible with Music-X. Some decent stuff no there and definitely match the classic Amiga sound.

Edited by blainelocklair

I have a Sounds Terrific I and II CDs with bunch of music, midi, mod, wav and IFF sounds. Great starter CDs to have.

Amiga computer is a great classic computer to have and play with. I'm always happy to help someone getting it running. I probably know more about it then I should.