IGNORED

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

hexcor

The LCD used is the lq035nc111. I believe this is similar if not the same to what the competition uses and you can find them from about $3 to $10 ea on Aliexpress or Ebay. I ordered 10 of the cheaper $4 screens and 4 of them arrived with a dead pixel in one place or another. So keep that in mind. These LCD's have a built in self test where if you hold Vblank and Hblank active they'll strobe through R/G/B/W/black so you can easily spot a bad panel.

Scaling is linear 2x in both Horizontal and Vertical so no distortion. I put a vote up on my FB if the kit should be solderless (Just a ribbon to insert in the Lynx2) and the response was keep it soldered to make use of the extra functions the Backlight button can provide, like varying the backlight intensity and scanlines. This is also required for the Lynx 1 anyway.

Yes, The doubled scan lines are drawn at the beginning of the following scan line. This means whatever the Lynx writes to the LCD will be accurately rendered on the LCD. The frame rate is locked to the Lynx's frame rate and technically should support up to 140frames per second though i don't know of any games which make use of this. It'll certainly need beta testing to reveal any bugs which aren't apparent with my limited game selection.

• Like 1

I'll be aiming for $50 for the NGPC kit, almost no work to install. A ribbon cable to insert, no shell cutting to fit the LCD in or anything, no soldering. Maybe a 3d spacer to get it all aligned or some hot glue if that's more your style. The image is slightly smaller than original, pretty similar to the existing backlight mod for it. JellyBelly customs said he'll be doing a custom lcd protector for it so it looks like its supposed to be in there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He explains it in the description ;)

-> The screens are exactly the same, but the ribbon cable, the backlit and the frame are chinese made in the chinese version, and japanese made... yeah you guess it in the japanese version :D

@bennvenn... I'm going to preorder the atari lynx and also gameboy color screen mod. If I understand correctly both are preorders, right? Do you have an idea when you will ship them? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...