IGNORED

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

hexcor

No, PCB assembly requires minimal viable orders, if you order too few, the cost per unit becomes astronomical, that's the reason Karri orders so many blank PCB Lynx carts at once too. You can't order anything less than around 200 and pay realistic prices for them. If you order too few, the price per unit really gets out of control.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Alexs said:

I ordered a kit today, I guess I won't be recieving the new bracket ?. Is it possible to buy the new bracket seperately through AtariAge?

Hey Alexs, I can send you a bracket separately but it may be better if it's sent with your order. Send me a message with your order number and I'll get in touch with BennVenn and will ask them to add a bracket. I suggest waiting a week or so until the new batch of brackets arrive as they are much easier to work with than the originals.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:46 PM, necrocia said:

Hey Alexs, I can send you a bracket separately but it may be better if it's sent with your order. Send me a message with your order number and I'll get in touch with BennVenn and will ask them to add a bracket. I suggest waiting a week or so until the new batch of brackets arrive as they are much easier to work with than the originals.

Thank you so much ?, I sent you a PM

• Like 1

Oh cool! Message me if you get issues with the bracket, that's the early edition bracket which is a little harder to install than the next batch I'm sending to BV.

BV is saying that Model 1 will be supported soon.

• Like 1

Got mine installed. The orange bracket was a little tighter than I expected, a piece of it broke off and it bent up the metal bezel on the screen. https://imgur.com/GahpgIT

So I tossed the broken bezel and kept at it. It was a trick to screw the bracket in place, it seems like the bracket was about 2-3 mm small than it was designed to be. Not sure what happened there, but I did get it installed, and I love the result! https://imgur.com/6tvZqIl

Just need to fiddle with the bracket (and a file?) to get the screen positioned exactly right.

Eeep! Not sure what went wrong there, but all brackets are meant to have a loose fit. Did you follow this guide? https://atarigamer.com/pages/using-the-atari-gamer-bracket-with-the-benn-venn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx-model-ii

The new revision of the bracket doesn't have those small bits that are easily snapped off, so once those start shipping the install will be even easier.

Glad you got it working in the end!

Yes I did, thanks for the writeup! I wonder if my shipment sat in a hot warehouse (or truck or mailbox) for too long, because the bracket had a slight curve to it, as well as being a bit shrunken. I'm in AZ where it's nice and hot, and everything warps. I'm still glad to have the bracket, even if minor adjustments are needed for whatever reason.

If anyone cares, I used some very thin 34awg enameled wire for all the data lines (everything but 5v and GND) and it works great.

Sounds like that's what happened, sorry about that. I all the brackets are shipped in bulk to BennVenn and they're all flat at that time. Maybe I need to look at switching the type of plastic I use.

From the pictures and videos iv seen of this screen, it looks fantastic, really brings the games to life. I'm planning on getting one but I'm holding out at the moment as I want one for my game gear, so once that one is available I'll be buying both. 

@necrocia the bracket you have made looks great, really looks like it finishes the install off.