IGNORED

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

hexcor

I just installed this kit over this past weekend for another fellow AA member here. It is really impressive kit! It is easier to install since not as many components have to come off the Lynx and all the soldering work is on easier points to tap from along the same section of the lynx mainboard. I'd still advise that all Lynx II units get recapped and have their original power circuit components refreshed with new ones to be sure everything works for sometime to come. 

The bracket is a nice addition to help align everything. But the bracket I had while ti did fit more or less, it didn't want to POP in properly without some help with a small screwdriver. Seems that the LCD was pressing against the small tabs a bit and preventing them from popping into the LCD section. But I got it all in there in the end. 

Also, it could be my eyesight, but the backlight adjustment didn't really make much of a different in overall brightness. So while it was working, it was very very subtle and basically went from being all on to half on..to no display. Not sure what that would be about, but I do actually prefer the slightly softer picture this LCD produces over the McWill. Overall, this is a really nice upgrade option for half the cost of the McWill kit. Also should be a bit cheaper for modders to offer since the labor isn't quite as intensive as it is with the McWill.

• Like 1

I have got this screen in my hands and it looks really nice. 

But i do not know if i am missing something or if i did not get sent with instructions it where i need to solder each wire, it is not that obvious to my eyes at least. 

22 hours ago, Knud said:

But i do not know if i am missing something or if i did not get sent with instructions it where i need to solder each wire, it is not that obvious to my eyes at least. 

Use this guide: https://atarigamer.com/articles/installing-and-testing-out-the-bennvenn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx

https://atarigamer.com/pages/using-the-atari-gamer-bracket-with-the-benn-venn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx-model-ii

If you have any questions, ask away!

Edited by Splain

22 hours ago, Knud said:

Cut and Pasted from the Links above as really aside from removing the old LCD (Which is pretty self explanatory), you only need to follow the info on this page...

"On the Lynx side of things all you needed to do is was de-solder the L17 inductor, and then hook up the wires from the LCD. The wires were soldered onto the Lynx motherboard on the cartridge connector side, almost directly underneath it. The RF shield needs to be moved to get to these.

s8gf95jfRKUpPWoRjrBRPYqIUStZ1fkFS_Kat4RnvbXSWcz4davNOosP-UfHEWKUJhNjeHvfyqo8yLfUqFVAOAaf3bo=s450Wb_MQGLXsOHym3LRGRc3X4Npq4qM3RDlyebt8FVKbZY4x_YE9okCgU_kj0JYdVJB7xH9AeG-2ds815wuen0rOtI2gE4=s450

That's it!"

Just match up the labels on that second pic to the same labels on the side of the LCD assembly for the wire attachment points.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

14 minutes ago, Splain said:

Thank you! 
Do not know how i missed that, even browsed through atarigamer's website but still missed it. 

It still feels a bit weird to not have any information/guide with it or on Benn's webpage but have to "google" the how to install it

Anyways, i have something to go after now.

1 hour ago, Knud said:

Thank you! 
Do not know how i missed that, even browsed through atarigamer's website but still missed it. 

It still feels a bit weird to not have any information/guide with it or on Benn's webpage but have to "google" the how to install it

Anyways, i have something to go after now.

I basically just copied and pasted what I put here onto a word document and printed that off for my own use. The inductor is easy to spot and remove and the LCD attachment points being labeled were all that was needed from there. The docs for the McWill aren't too different in this regard other than there is more to remove. But you basically get a list and small diagrams. McWill kits from Console5 do not include installation instructions either, but there is a link for them on the console5 website when you order them.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:42 PM, akira666 said:

Do not get me wrong. I'm happy about competition.

But I also believe that the actual market for Atari Lynx LCD games is very small.

I'm looking forward to the first tests.

Cheaper LCD mods is one way of growing interest in the Lynx platform amongst retro enthusiasts.

Hmmm... wasn't Candle working on his own solution before the McWill mods hit the market? 

On 8/3/2019 at 2:55 AM, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

The bracket is a nice addition to help align everything. But the bracket I had while ti did fit more or less, it didn't want to POP in properly without some help with a small screwdriver. Seems that the LCD was pressing against the small tabs a bit and preventing them from popping into the LCD section. But I got it all in there in the end.  

I've noticed this issue with the early brackets that were sent to BennVenn. This has been corrected in the new version and those small tabs are no longer present. The new bracket is slimmer and fits better. Sorry for the inconvenience, glad you got it working in the end!

On 8/15/2019 at 9:27 PM, necrocia said:

I've noticed this issue with the early brackets that were sent to BennVenn. This has been corrected in the new version and those small tabs are no longer present. The new bracket is slimmer and fits better. Sorry for the inconvenience, glad you got it working in the end!

Dumb question: Is BennVenn sending out the new brackets to those who purchased the old bracket? I just got a notice about a package from Australia. As far as I know I don't have any packages from Australia. I am wondering if I am getting a replacement bracket.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, McWill said:

The final version has 32K colors and would be almost plug and play. Just 1 wire has to be soldered.
You also can install a VGA connector, if you want.
The case can be closed with the existing screws.

Hi McWill, I've been looking online everywhere I can but can't find any information about the oscillator and the VGA output. Does your mod change the clock of the GBC, like the GBAz does, to achieve a stable 60Hz output? Or does it just output the raw signal at the GBC's stock frequency?

Thanks!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:42 AM, emceebois said:

Hi McWill, I've been looking online everywhere I can but can't find any information about the oscillator and the VGA output. Does your mod change the clock of the GBC, like the GBAz does, to achieve a stable 60Hz output? Or does it just output the raw signal at the GBC's stock frequency?

Thanks!

I'm not McWill so this info is just what has been reported in the gameboy discord. 

McWill buffers at 59hz and draws at 60hz for LCD and VGA video. This results in image tearing in moving images. 

Hope this answers your question 

Ben

4 hours ago, BennVenn said:

I'm not McWill so this info is just what has been reported in the gameboy discord.

Whoa, you're here, too, awesome! Is there any hope for those of us holding out hope for more production of the VGAmite? The version 5 PCB you posted had YPbPr pinouts on it, no? That would be a rad alternative to the GBAz :D

2 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

Where does one order this kit?  All I can find is the $5 drop in frame.

He is currently sold out near as I can tell. Although he did have the Japanese assembled LCDs available the other day but they appear to have sold out as well.

• Thanks 1

Ah great! Tell me how you go with the install. These new brackets should be much easier to work with, just don't over-tighten the screws or you'll push them through the plastic. I need to update the install guide for the new bracket still.

Update: Turns out that I already did update it?

Edited by necrocia

3 hours ago, necrocia said:

Ah great! Tell me how you go with the install. These new brackets should be much easier to work with, just don't over-tighten the screws or you'll push them through the plastic. I need to update the install guide for the new bracket still.

Update: Turns out that I already did update it?

Thanks Igor.

Install was super easy with your bracket. After reading your guide, I went back and loosened the screws a little just to make sure I wouldn't have any issues in the future. 

20190828_050756.jpg

20190828_042904.jpg

20190828_050722.jpg

• Like 1