IGNORED

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

hexcor

2 hours ago, pixelperfect said:

Interested in seeing some comparisons of the scanline mode between the BenVenn and Mcwill screens. Also, is it possible to switch to the BenVenn after having a Mcwill installed?

I've not looked into this myself, but there are quite q few components that are removed off the Lynx for the McWill. The BennVenn doesn't require all those components to be removed. So I don't know if those components would need to be put back in place for the BennVenn kit to work.

As for the Scanline option, to me they looked the same with the scan lines enabled. Both McWill and BennVenn do this using the same backlight button to switch it on or off. There are some slight horizontal line artifacts on the BennVenn that are really only noticed with games that have large solid color backgrounds. Toki for instance I noticed this on the blue sky in the background. But most other times you don't notice it. It is hard to explain how it looks and most cameras can't seem to pick it up too well. But it basically looks like a very faint horizontal scanline effect is happening but not across the entire screen as again, it only seems to show up in areas with a large solid color on the screen and when I mean a faint scanline appearance...I mean...faint. Like lowest setting for scanlines that isn't 0% emulation faint. That is really the best way I can describe it. 

I do think the slightly softer image of the BennVenn looks better on many games, especially when playing for a long time looking at it. The McWill is sharper but also much brighter and I actually play on the McWill with the scanlines option on to purposely reduce that brightness down. While the BennVenn does have a brightness adjustment, the Lynx II I installed it on, I could only see maybe 6 degrees of adjustment and not the 8 it actually cycles through. So for instance my eyes didn't see a difference in the brightness until I hit the button 3 times. The 3rd press is when I first see a change in the actual screen brightness and then about other press after that.

• Like 1

Saving of settings would have been perfect but that would have complicated the design and would have made it more expensive.

I've done comparisons over at Atari Gamer, have a look here: https://atarigamer.com/articles/installing-and-testing-out-the-bennvenn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx

If you already have a McWill installed I'd suggest you keep that, unless you really want the ability to change brightness levels. If you did want to switch, it would really be a matter of desoldering and removing the McWill and installing the BV screen, the inputs and power requirements are identical.

• Like 1

Anybody else having trouble with their screen? 

My screen seems to have stopped powering on with the rest of the system.  I let it sit with batteries in it for a few weeks, and noticed it took a couple power cycles to get the screen to to come up with the game.  I figured the batteries were just getting too low, but after that session, it never powered the screen on again for either fresh batteries or the ac adapter.  I have the chinese version of the bennvenn.

If this isn't 'a thing' I'll probably buy another one.

Edited by Reaperman

1 minute ago, Reaperman said:

Anybody else having trouble with their screen? 

My screen seems to have stopped powering on with the system.  I let it sit with batteries in it for a few weeks, and noticed it took a couple power cycles to get the screen to to come up with the game.  I figured the batteries were just getting too low, but after that session, it never powered the screen on again for either fresh batteries or the ac adapter.

In fact yes I've had this same issue (I think). Do you still get sound and can you "play" the game even though the screen is not turning on? If you shine a light on the screen, can you make out that there is something showing on it, just not bright enough? I had all those symptoms today and fixed it by resoldering some of the components on the small board that sits on top of the LCD board. It was a dry solder joint for me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, necrocia said:

In fact yes I've had this same issue (I think). Do you still get sound and can you "play" the game even though the screen is not turning on? If you shine a light on the screen, can you make out that there is something showing on it, just not bright enough? I had all those symptoms today and fixed it by resoldering some of the components on the small board that sits on top of the LCD board. It was a dry solder joint for me.

Yep, that sounds just like me.  Sure enough the image is still there without backlight.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:08 PM, necrocia said:

@HolmesA8 hey a neighbour, we were in NZ not long ago, back to Aus now. The screen is amazing, and thanks for the comments on the bracket. You should have seen how many prototypes I made before the final design!

Yeah I bet it did take some tries lining that up, but thank you for the efforts as it works perfectly. 

I think I got the new version, as my first screen didnt turn up, so Benn resent with the second round of purchases.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, necrocia said:

Cool, the final version of the bracket was printed with translucent  orange and is a lower profile. Post some photos when you install it please!

Sorry, I installed it the day it arrived (before posting above), and didnt take photos, it was the translucent one, seemed to fit really well.

Hi All,

I just ordered my kit today and I have a few question after reading the posts on here.

1. I ordered the Japanese version with the LCD support bracket, so will I get the new bracket that is slimmer that will fit?

2. I see that you have to remove the cap on L17, do you have to wire anything in place of that cap on L17 or just leave it?

3. Is there a complete video on how to install this? The video I saw was pretty much an overview on how to install it but doesn't show which points to solder from the board

4. I assum I will be getting the soldered version as there's no solderless version?

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, kublai said:

Hi All,

I just ordered my kit today and I have a few question after reading the posts on here.

1. I ordered the Japanese version with the LCD support bracket, so will I get the new bracket that is slimmer that will fit?

2. I see that you have to remove the cap on L17, do you have to wire anything in place of that cap on L17 or just leave it?

3. Is there a complete video on how to install this? The video I saw was pretty much an overview on how to install it but doesn't show which points to solder from the board

4. I assum I will be getting the soldered version as there's no solderless version?

Thanks in advance.

Check the install guide here - https://atarigamer.com/articles/installing-and-testing-out-the-bennvenn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx

Ben told me he is shipping with the new slim bracket, besides the first version brackets are probably all sold out by now.

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Check the install guide here - https://atarigamer.com/articles/installing-and-testing-out-the-bennvenn-lcd-mod-for-atari-lynx

Ben told me he is shipping with the new slim bracket, besides the first version brackets are probably all sold out by now.

I’m still confused about L17. Do I just remove the inductor or do I have to solder the points somewhere after I remove L17. 

It's in the install guide...

On the Lynx side of things all you needed to do is was de-solder the L17 inductor

So that's all, just de-solder it, then throw the inductor as far away from you as possible ?

For what its worth. I ordered some of the Japanese made LCD kits back in July and received them over this past weekend. They came with the newer slimmer bracket. I've not installed with this new bracket yet but I'm sure it will do the business just fine. Also I do plan to do a video on the complete installation of a BennVenn LCD kit soon. But it really is pretty easy to install with much larger solder points to attach the wiring to as opposed to the McWill.

• Like 2