IGNORED

BennVenn (Gameboy modder) just announced an LCD replacement for the Lynx

hexcor

10 hours ago, Igor said:

It's in the install guide...

So that's all, just de-solder it, then throw the inductor as far away from you as possible ?

Thanks very much for the confirmation as this sentence is indicating you have to solder the wires from LCD to the points where you took off the inductor.

"On the Lynx side of things all you needed to do is was de-solder the L17 inductor, and then hook up the wires from the LCD. "

• 2 weeks later...

@Igor Here you go. Here is my video install process I used for the BennVenn kit in my personal Lynx. The video covers more about the disassembly and kit details than it does the actual install. But I included the sheet I put together using your pics etc that I followed when doing the ones I've done so far. Mine has the new bracket and it is much better so thank you for that!!! Much less stress on the ribbon cable to the LCD and it just drops in nice an easy.

• Like 2

I know Analouge is supposed to make an announcement in a couple of hours of a new hardware release, but I just saw this article about a new Gameboy in development that will have the ability the entire Gameboy, GBC, and GBA library, but will also include attachments for the Sega Game Gear, NGPC, and the Atari Lynx.  I might have to get this. 

https://www.wallpaper.com/lifestyle/analogue-pocket-vintage-handheld-game-boy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valdez76 said:

I know Analouge is supposed to make an announcement in a couple of hours of a new hardware release, but I just saw this article about a new Gameboy in development that will have the ability the entire Gameboy, GBC, and GBA library, but will also include attachments for the Sega Game Gear, NGPC, and the Atari Lynx.  I might have to get this. 

https://www.wallpaper.com/lifestyle/analogue-pocket-vintage-handheld-game-boy

The thing that bugs me about emulators is the lack of ability of ComLynxing the systems together, either with themselves or with real Lynxes. Just imagine if you could take a PSP/Vita, GPX or other Linux based hand-held, a DS/2DS/3DS or the eventual Switch, and then go USB-to-ComLynx with real Lynxes and then play Warbirds or Slime World together... That would be epic.

I guess I was fortunate in my youth to have been a member of a local Atari [ST] User's Group where we had a lot of Lynx owners and we'd ComLynx up after the end of the group's general business. Oh how I loved dropping the MegaBomb on everyone in the caverns of Slime World.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah that's cool. Do you also have a Lynx I? I've had BV send me a preview Lynx I kit to test out, it's somewhere in all of the boxes of stuff (moving house). Hopefully will have it wired up and reviewed in the next few weeks.

How do you like the adjustable brightness and scanline feature? I find BV's version of the LCD kit so much better on the eyes when playing at night.

• 3 weeks later...

did a good eight hour refurb/mod session on Saturday night with a Lynx 2 that I got for a bargain on eBay - the old LCD was playable but degraded/degrading, so a good candidate for a new LCD. Changed the MOSFET, Zener, all the caps(zzz), and then installed the BennVenn LCD with the Atari Gamer frame, using the Ivory Tower, Mr Lurch, and Atari Gamer guides for advice. Happy to report it all worked a charm, first time. 15cm is definitely a good length for the wires to connect from the LCD PCB to the Lynx PCB. Even better: spent a good couple of hours buffing away with Novus polish and the screen protector is almost good as new. I do like the adjustable brightness/scanline feature, but feel a bit sad that the brightness dial is now redundant.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What type of timeframe are others in the US seeing for getting their Bennvenn kits? I ordered almost a month ago when they were showing in stock and haven't gotten any updates or anything. 

I tried e-mailing them again today, so we'll see. Just trying to make sure i'm not being too impatient. 

3 hours ago, McCarseat said:

What type of timeframe are others in the US seeing for getting their Bennvenn kits? I ordered almost a month ago when they were showing in stock and haven't gotten any updates or anything. 

I tried e-mailing them again today, so we'll see. Just trying to make sure i'm not being too impatient. 

Last time I ordered 2 kits back in July, I received them in late September... 

• 2 weeks later...

The frame is separate but really is required for the best fit and ease of installation. I see that Benn dropped the price of the bracket to $5 but also increased the cost of the LCD kits by $5 so that pretty much tells you that the brackets were being ordered in tandem with the LCD kits.

It should probably be included for a flat price because it really makes the installation much easier, lines up the LCD properly in the window, and looks more professional overall in place.

• 1 month later...

Can those of you who have BennVenn LCD kits installed in your Lynx II and also have one of Saint's SD carts shoot me a PM? 

BTW..the brackets are included in the kits now hence why they went up in price. Luckily I was able to get an order in for two more of the Jpn assembled kits before they sold out again last week.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:41 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Can those of you who have BennVenn LCD kits installed in your Lynx II and also have one of Saint's SD carts shoot me a PM? 

BTW..the brackets are included in the kits now hence why they went up in price. Luckily I was able to get an order in for two more of the Jpn assembled kits before they sold out again last week.

Ah good to hear about brackets being included, I kept telling BV, he finally listened.

I have the Lynx SD and the BV mod, what did you want to know? If it's any compatibility question it would be good to have it out in the forums for others to see too.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@igor

Can you post a pic of what your Saint's SD menu looks like on your BennVenn screen at full brightness please?

IMG_7303.thumb.jpeg.d228d3017e8a67b1e52c13e058365adf.jpeg

Sure, here it is. I assume you mean the current Lynx SD menu loader 2 that I made? (https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/LynxSDMenuLoader2/794518282)

Not sure if it's just my screen but there is a line of pixels cut off on the bottom.

Okay,

That looks different than the menu screen I was shown. Here is what it looks like on one I recently put Benn's Jpn assembled LCD kit into. Normal games look fine, but the brightness of the text on the SD cart is causing some oddness along the same horizontal sections that the letters are displayed on as you can see here. Was told lowering the brightness level helps but never completely gets rid of it. As I only have an Agacart myself and actual games, I wasn't aware of this issue nor was I sure it was normal?

saint_sd_menu_BV.jpeg

Ah that's the old men loader, you really should update it to use the new one that I linked.

I know there is a little bit of artefacting going on with the BV kit, it's something I noted in my review of the kit, there's not much you can do really.

• 2 weeks later...