IGNORED

End of SIO chain : SIO2SD vs SDrive Max vs [ ... ] ?

6BQ5

I'm going to take a break from my STe and hop on my 130XE. :)

I recently acquired a XF551 from a fellow forum member here :party: and now I would like to add a solid state storage device. The solid state storage device ought to be installed in the SIO chain, preferably as D1. I know there are various solid state storage options available from the SIO2SD to the SDrive Max to cartridge based solutions. Which of these solutions works well in a SIO chain of hardware?

Also, which solid state solution is easiest to transfer files to? Without any first hand knowledge or experience I imagine they are more similar than different. Do I just fill up the SD card with disk images such as ATR files and insert the card into the storage device?

Thanks for any pointers you can give! :)

I have no SIO2SD experience to speak from. My SDrive-MAX experience so far, is that it works great connected with my existing hardware for many functions. I've had issues being able to consistently copy files into an .ATR file before I get errors, and I have had issues being able to rename the files on a PC without them becoming corrupted. I haven't experimented with every single option out there for formatting, different DOS versions, etc., but it seems I'm fine if I copy the contents of one side of one disk most of the time, but the minute I try to move more files into the ATR, it goes flaky for me.

I'd just chalk this mostly up to user error at this point, but that's where I am. I believe if I were just loading this thing up with files from the PC and using it that way, it would be flawless. I'm actually focused on transferring files from floppy to SD, so I'm having my own challenges. Once you get the hang of it, booting between it and floppy, or booting to it and having the floppy as a 2nd drive option all seems to work great.

--Todd--

Hello Boris

Get yourself a SIO Splitter, it will enable you to use up to four devices that don't have an extra SIO port for daisy chaining your hardware.

Sincerely

Mathy

Definitely a good option, especially for those in that part of the world. For people in the U.S., it may be worth comparing price & shipping with the APElink Best Electronics sells. It may be ordering from Lotharek is still the better deal, I haven't compared.

(scroll down to near bottom of page) http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm#SIO2

EDIT: well, I don't know anymore, it seems like I purchased my APElink for about the $15-20 range a decade ago, now the kit is selling for $50 + shipping, $65 if you want the case, and full assembled with NO case is $70! YIKES!!

So the SIO splitter from Lotharek may indeed be the cheaper option for U.S. customers now too! And that is a ready to use device, with a case and much better looking too,not a kit! I'm glad I looked into that instead of paying too much for an APElink again! I had no idea the price had gone up so much!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Even with a splitter, won't the SDrive-MAX's documented SIO bus contention issue cause problems? Without a circuit modifiction of the kind being developed by MrRobot, the device still wants to grab control of the bus and not let it go. Also - people are still having issues writing files to ATRs, especially with SpartaDOS or SDX. Don't get me wrong, I love my SDrive-MAX. But it's been relegated to speciality use for loading ATX files and as a stand-alone "do it all" storage device for machines without physical drives.

• Like 1

sdrivemax provided you install the daisy chain friendly option.

Where can I find more information about the daisy chain friendly option? It doesnt look like one single company makes SDrive Max units. Its an open source design that many people make?

Hello Boris

Get yourself a SIO Splitter, it will enable you to use up to four devices that don't have an extra SIO port for daisy chaining your hardware.

Sincerely

Mathy

Looks interesting but I think the solution is starting to get complicated.

Even with a splitter, won't the SDrive-MAX's documented SIO bus contention issue cause problems? Without a circuit modifiction of the kind being developed by MrRobot, the device still wants to grab control of the bus and not let it go. Also - people are still having issues writing files to ATRs, especially with SpartaDOS or SDX. Don't get me wrong, I love my SDrive-MAX. But it's been relegated to speciality use for loading ATX files and as a stand-alone "do it all" storage device for machines without physical drives.

I really like the look and feel of the SDrive Max with its touch screen and all ... but it sounds like it has some limited functionality/compatibility with the SIO bus?

Where can I find more information about the daisy chain friendly option? It doesnt look like one single company makes SDrive Max units. Its an open source design that many people make?

Looks interesting but I think the solution is starting to get complicated.

I really like the look and feel of the SDrive Max with its touch screen and all ... but it sounds like it has some limited functionality/compatibility with the SIO bus?

I agree with DrVenkman, the SDrive Max is a lovely piece of kit and is handy for most things - It loads ATR's, ATX's, XEX and even freaking CAS files - An all-in-one unit.

If you have the one with the XL style enclosure it looks awesome next to a 800XL, 1010 and 1050.

With touch screen menu, it cant go wrong. :0)

Only thing is if you have Side2 for example as a fast loading cart, its less convenient and fast compared to these and the SIO chain being a bit of a pain to contend with if you have your other peripherals attached.

I agree with DrVenkman, the SDrive Max is a lovely piece of kit and is handy for most things - It loads ATR's, ATX's, XEX and even freaking CAS files - An all-in-one unit.

If you have the one with the XL style enclosure it looks awesome next to a 800XL, 1010 and 1050.

With touch screen menu, it cant go wrong. :0)

Only thing is if you have Side2 for example as a fast loading cart, its less convenient and fast compared to these and the SIO chain being a bit of a pain to contend with if you have your other peripherals attached.

I’ve seen XL styled units on eBay and in Google Images search results. They do look cool! Too bad there isn’t a widely available 130XE styled version. :(

Still would like to know more about a daisy chain friendly version as I would be running it with my newly acquired XF551 drive at times. A splitter would probably work as described in previous message but the solution seems costly and complicated compared to just plugging it in serially.

• Like 1

I’ve seen XL styled units on eBay and in Google Images search results. They do look cool! Too bad there isn’t a widely available 130XE styled version. :(

Still would like to know more about a daisy chain friendly version as I would be running it with my newly acquired XF551 drive at times. A splitter would probably work as described in previous message but the solution seems costly and complicated compared to just plugging it in serially.

Possibly wouldn't be too hard to chuck the guts out of a (broken) XM301 and put the Arduino based unit inside. Only thing is how often these are available.

I dont think the touch screen is compulsary as its often used from the Atari on-screen (via and ATR startup file) so the neat little box would look great next to XE based architecture.

post-34640-0-84283900-1549469061.jpg

You don't really need the hub, but you definitely need the 7407 buffer (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/page-22?do=findComment&comment=4189049).

For your use case I would also recommend to use an external power supply (over USB) for the SDRIVE-MAX.

SDRIVE MAX automatically acts as D1 when powered on, so when you have the possibility to switch it on before the ATARI, you can change the active drive (D1) to an empty slot and let the ATARI boot from XF551.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 2

I believe the Brewing Academy was going to produce them when it improved, with the sio fix it looks to be there. Macrorie would have comment on this. I made my own, it's cake either way.

I found The Brewing Academy and reached out to them through their Facebook page. Hopefully they will give a positive response. :)

You don't really need the hub, but you definitely need the 7407 buffer (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/page-22?do=findComment&comment=4189049).

For your use case I would also recommend to use an external power supply (over USB) for the SDRIVE-MAX.

SDRIVE MAX automatically acts as D1 when powered on, so when you have the possibility to switch it on before the ATARI, you can change the active drive (D1) to an empty slot and let the ATARI boot from XF551.

Yes, this is exactly the D1 / D2 configuration I am looking for ... just minus the custom modifications. ;)

I found The Brewing Academy and reached out to them through their Facebook page. Hopefully they will give a positive response. :)

Yes, this is exactly the D1 / D2 configuration I am looking for ... just minus the custom modifications. ;)

You may not realize that The Brewing Academy is MacRorie here on AA.

Bob C

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I power my SDrive-Max from the Atari XE. The system provides the 5V through the port and the Arduino has an onboard regulator. It works for me. I turn on the XE and the SDrive-Max turns on at same time. When I got my SDRIVE-Max it was wired up to require the outside power supply but it was annoying and took up an extra outlet.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, paulderr said:

I power my SDrive-Max from the Atari XE. The system provides the 5V through the port and the Arduino has an onboard regulator. It works for me. I turn on the XE and the SDrive-Max turns on at same time. When I got my SDRIVE-Max it was wired up to require the outside power supply but it was annoying and took up an extra outlet.

I like the ability to choose files prior to powering up my 8-bit. With the external power, you can use the SDrive-Max (touchscreen) to choose files, config, etc. without having to power your 8-bit. It all depends on each persons pattern of use and since this unit gives the option, everyone will do it differently.

I also didn't like the idea of drawing 5v from the 8-bit (currently my 130XE) more then I have to. Currently using a P:R:Connection, two 1050's, a WiModem232 (5v USB power) and the SDrive-Max (5v USB power).

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Why no have two super caps? one before the power section of the ardy and one after? you know replace one of the caps on the ardy itself... would that get us a longer power off hold time?

I believe someone is working on that currently. At least I recall reading about it and seeing some prototype board he was building. ?!?! Maybe it'll be it's own thread as soon as he has a working version.

That would be me. I have a board design that I haven't had printed yet, I'm a bit preoccupied with SDM cases at the moment, I'll be going back to that after the cases are done. 

Then I can get back to the Raspberry Pi version I'm working on, and then the GBS8220 reprogrammer board, then the GBS2880 case designs 

My SIO2SD works well in the SIO chain - both SIO ports are fully usable...  ;-)

It cannot load tapes anymore, but I can live with this...  ;-)

Afaik, none of the SIO2xyz solutions were/are originally designed to work well in a SIO chain of hardware, so you either have to patch or fix them (add some simple electronics) or built-them into a nice case that does allow SIO chaining with other devices (I did the latter).

SIO2SD_back.jpg

SIO2SD_front.jpg

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

The current design is a single cap, I was asking for a two cap design, at the two different voltage stages of most of these devices. As it could increase hold time. So the add on super cap board plus perhaps a cap substitution/replacement on the ardy board itself.

• Like 1