IGNORED

Is It Possible?

thegamezmaster

Hello! I asked this question on Hardware with no luck and searched Google so I'm asking here. Is it possible to mod a Sega Master System Control Joystick to work on a CV with a y cable in port one so both buttons work like a CV controller? If so how is it done? Or even a Sega Genesis 3 Button Joystick or even a NES Advantage? I have very limited knowledge about how to do this and would appreciate any help in how to do this if possible. Or does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help with this problem!

Easiest thing to do is get a Sega genesis extension cable and a DB9 y adapter. You need the extension cable because the y adapter wont fit in the Colecovision controller port. You plug a standard CV controller in one end of the Y adapter, and you can plug an Atari 2600 controller, Atari 7800 controller, modded genesis controller, whatever you like in the other end.

30D1-27308_01_th.jpg

Thanks for the reply. My problem is I lack the knowledge of how to rewire the sms control stick so it would work. Help Please?

You can watch plenty of videos on youtube to learn how to solder. Soldering tutorial videos will cover the basics about soldering, wires, and desoldering. You can practice on a broken VCR, or whatever you have that doesn't work.

• Like 1

If I were you I would look into buying an already modified controller like RetroBoyz sells on eBay. Late last year he changed the way the controller works so you can not only use both action buttons separately but when pressed together they will do a third action for games like Tutankhamun

Each action button needs a diode so they work like the standard CV controller. Diodes are less than 5 cents a piece, but he could have gotten rid of them to save time in making them (or save money) . You should ask about that if you want to buy anything from him.

Edited by Hannacek

Each action button needs a diode so they work like the standard CV controller. Diodes are less than 5 cents a piece, but he could have gotten rid of them to save time in making them (or save money) . You should ask about that if you want to buy anything from him.

Sorry I may have been unclear. The change he made to the controller (which may have been adding the diodes) now allows his controllers to have the third action when both buttons are pressed simultaneously. So in Tutankhamun you can now do the flash bomb with his controller, where in earlier versions that wasn't possible.

Sorry I may have been unclear. The change he made to the controller (which may have been adding the diodes) now allows his controllers to have the third action when both buttons are pressed simultaneously. So in Tutankhamun you can now do the flash bomb with his controller, where in earlier versions that wasn't possible.

Yeah, he added the diodes to make it function properly. I think Tutankhamun and one other game has that feature when pressing both buttons at the same time does something.

There are a few other games like Cosmic Avenger where you can't drop a bomb and fire simultaneously unless the diodes are in the controller. But, even then most people wouldn't notice that you can't drop a bomb and fire simultaneously unless you told them. And I think there are some games that are programmed in a way to where you can't use both buttons at the same time, even though you should be able to.

This might set you on the right path.

Interesting, but why hook a wire to pin 9 at all? 7 and 9 are for the spinner. Connecting pin 9 there doesn't seem to do anything useful. If I were to do one or the other, I'd use pin 7 since it can be read directly from the I/O port (but obviously only usable by new designs that look for it). But the other side would need to connect to pin 5 or 8.

I did this awhile back. Here's my post in another thread, hope it helps. I did use a coleco controller cable because I believe the sms one is missing a pin.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222610-happy-friday-colecovision-fans/?p=3024411

Thanks for the reply! So did you mod a sms controller or control stick to work on a cv? If so how? Thanks!