IGNORED

Looking for some help/advice on making 2600 portable for school project

Leatherrebel5150

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to see if I can get some help with questions I have about trying to construct components of a 2600 portable. The backstory is I'm taking a manufacturing class where one of our two main projects is to design a PCB and have it produced by a fab house for testing. The focus is really on using the design software rather than coming up with some original hardware. Most are doing simple things like FM receivers and such but I wanted to do something more interesting. I tried following the Ben Heck hand soldered video but he only really showed him fitting the main IC's on a protoboard and didn't really show or have any schematics for the rest of the design.

HW6zMbn.png

So I found the schematics here on atariage and am trying to eliminate as many "unnecessary" things as I can to get it as small as possible while being able to show base functionality of turn on, get video out, control the game. So Ive eliminated the second controller, difficulty switches, and channel select switch. Ive also intended to replace the video circuitry with this design

MxAxSff.png

Which brings me to my questions:

1. Will that design eliminate the need for all of the original circuitry? The new design doesn't have any connection to the Vblank pin on the TIA, is that at all needed when converting to composite video?

2. The next question being can I use just 1 audio out pin or should I bridge them as in the original design?

3. Is there anything else I can eliminate and still retain the ability to just fire it up and playing a single game?

4. Im not familiar with all the notation used in the schematic. There is a notation that says 5v sources with a line to both filled in and non-filled in triangles but is there a reason why some are colored and some are not that Im missing?

There is also a symbol next to the capacitors that I haven't seen before on the bottom left of[ the same image kinda looks like a piston

arCb5CD.png

Sorry for the long post but any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...