IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 HD B/W TV Type Switch?

Ive read through the included instructions, the AtGames website FAQ, and tried various controller combinations, but Ive not found anything for the BW/Color (TV Type) switch.

If I remember correctly, you could access it on the FB 8 with a button/controller combination, but Ive not gotten that to work on the FB 9.

Does anyone know how to access it, or was it a total oversight on the FB 9?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Considering all HDTV's are color, why would you want to play games in black and white?

What Flomojo said above, as well......

At the time these were made not all TV's were color. It is not so much choosing to play in B&W, if you happen to be using the console on a B&W display (again very common back in the day) you would select the option so the games would simply look better on a black and white display. The output is tweaked to have better contrast etc. Not to dissimilar to old movies and TV shows that were filmed in black and white but knowing they would be viewed on B&W Television the actors and sets were actually very odd looking "color" palettes. For example, the old Superman series George Reeves wore a brown for red, gray for blue and white for yellow suit. This looked odd to people on set of course expecting the famous red, white , yellow suite but made for a more outstanding look on TV's that could only display B&W. Sadly, I am old enough to know this first hand but for reference and to verify what has been said already

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-forgotten-switch-atari-2600s-b.html

• Like 3

Wow, I didn't know that about the old Superman suit! It makes sense though. On that page there's a shot of a (more modern?) Supes shoot that was clearly a color suit photographed in black and white and it's way less contrasts and appealing than the gray one.

VCS Pac-Man seems much clearer and less flickery to me when set on black and white.

There are a handful of games that use the B/W switch for gameplay reasons, like Space Shuttle.

Notably, Secret Quest -- included on (I believe) all Atari Flashbacks and the color/bw switch is required for the Status screen, which is where you change the weapon or object and get your continue password.

There are several other commercial games that use it, although I can't think of other ones included on the hardware off the top of my head. There are many homebrews that use it, like Anguna (for the map and status screen).

Bring back memories though. Our second TV was black and white, and my dad had it in his head that video game consoles such as the 2600 would ruin a color TV. So combat and space invaders in B&W for me...

At some point, he must have figured out that wasn't the case. A couple of years later, he replaced it with a small color TV, and I could game away. That TV carried me through all the way until the 1st year of graduate school. I think I gave it away to someone that needed one.

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 10:20 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

What Flomojo said above, as well......

At the time these were made not all TV's were color. It is not so much choosing to play in B&W, if you happen to be using the console on a B&W display (again very common back in the day) you would select the option so the games would simply look better on a black and white display. The output is tweaked to have better contrast etc. Not to dissimilar to old movies and TV shows that were filmed in black and white but knowing they would be viewed on B&W Television the actors and sets were actually very odd looking "color" palettes. For example, the old Superman series George Reeves wore a brown for red, gray for blue and white for yellow suit. This looked odd to people on set of course expecting the famous red, white , yellow suite but made for a more outstanding look on TV's that could only display B&W. Sadly, I am old enough to know this first hand but for reference and to verify what has been said already

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-forgotten-switch-atari-2600s-b.html

Immediately made me think of the Addams Family set

iizvpc1k9dv11.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Jimmygtr said:

Any one solve this lack of color switch that effects a couple of games?

17 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Nope

Actually, yes.  :)  On the FB9/9Gold, you access the BW/Color switch by pressing SELECT + UP.  You can use the SELECT button on the controller or console.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I tried it on mine without an SD card before I posted.  I knew I had done it before, but wanted to make sure I knew the combination.  If you look at the description for Secret Quest, it says SELECT and UP.  That's a good reminder if you forget.  It actually works for the X as well.  The problem is that it's a momentary button, so games like Secret Quest work fine, but others may not, depending on how they use the BW/Color switch.  It seems if it was made to be compatible with the 7800 pause button (momentary), then it will stick here too.  If not, it will only access whatever feature is being used by the button for a second or two, then it will switch back.

I should note that I have not tried it with the NEXUS pack, so I do not know if there are changes to various versions of the retroplayer, emulator, or whatever.

• Thanks 1

ok wowzers, so I got the Secret Quest status screen to show up on the X. Select Switch on the console+Up made it come up.

Joystick was wonky. Select+UP and hold it, at the same time rewinds. but for all my tekken players, lol, select~up works.

like Kazuya's Demon Scissors kick (4~3). You have to tap select and then up very fast.

I'm going to go mess with the 9 again. Kevin, I KNEW you knew what you were talking about, thanks again dude!

Edited by Draxxon

• 1 year later...

I'm a year late to this conversation but for Starmaster on the Flashback 9 (it's built-in and doesn't need to run from the SD card), the Difficulty button is used to switch to the "area view" or whatever that's called.  Says this right in the on-screen instructions when selecting the game but before starting it.