IGNORED

Displaying Hatari on a CRT TV?

youxia

I'm trying to display Atari ST on a NTSC CRT TV, via composite. The source is Raspberry Pi running Retropie/Hatari. It sort of works, but I get overscan on the horizontal (display goes over a little to the right and left) - guessing it has to do with original Atari res being different than 720p that RPi is outputting.

Now, this is a common problem but on majority of other consoles and micros (especially when using composite) but it can be rectified by using variety of config tricks, shaders and suchlike. Unfortunately Atari ST is a rather niche machine (at least in RPi circles) and there is scarcity of info available. Also the hatari libretro core (these are often working nicely with CRTs) is reportedly incomplete. I'm actually just having a very similar problem with Amiga, but there I managed to sort of compromise it by using peculiar resolution (704x216)...it took many days of trial and error though.

I was hoping maybe somebody here could advise what settings to choose in Hatari - there are two display-related sections (Atari & Hatari) both containing multum of settings and I'm not sure which ones could help/hinder my efforts (plus there is an option to use "no-borders" Hatari emu itself). I tried messing with them for a bit but with no real effect.

EDIT: Ha...just as I posted it I've tried again and got onto something: chose both show "borders" and "fullscreen" options. This produces nicely scaled image which fits horizontal nearly perfect. But - there are borders on top and bottom. So my additional question also is, what was a real ST display like on a CRT? Were there borders or was the whole screen filled?

Edited by youxia

Yeah there were white borders (with GEM desktop) when using TV's and other CRTs. Some demos & games remove the borders but they had to be program to do so...

When I used an ST emulator on a CRT, I turn the borders off to increase the size of the screen unless for certain games/demos that fill up the top & bottom borders.

Years ago I had a VGA monitor and ran Hatari on Linux. The 4:3 resolutions work good but when I switched to a widescreen display I had to tweak the settings to get a square 4:3 screen ratio.

I never tried to run a composite video output on a PC so I couldn't tell you how that worked.

Sorry for this off topic highjack, but this was just to good to not send this:
Hatari(Hater)is a Icelandic band which dresses in BDSM clothes and shocks people

So this is what i saw a picture of when you were talking about Hatari on crt

Edited by Knud
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to display Atari ST on a NTSC CRT TV, via composite. The source is Raspberry Pi running Retropie/Hatari. It sort of works, but I get overscan on the horizontal (display goes over a little to the right and left) - guessing it has to do with original Atari res being different than 720p that RPi is outputting.

Now, this is a common problem but on majority of other consoles and micros (especially when using composite) but it can be rectified by using variety of config tricks, shaders and suchlike. Unfortunately Atari ST is a rather niche machine (at least in RPi circles) and there is scarcity of info available. Also the hatari libretro core (these are often working nicely with CRTs) is reportedly incomplete. I'm actually just having a very similar problem with Amiga, but there I managed to sort of compromise it by using peculiar resolution (704x216)...it took many days of trial and error though.

I was hoping maybe somebody here could advise what settings to choose in Hatari - there are two display-related sections (Atari & Hatari) both containing multum of settings and I'm not sure which ones could help/hinder my efforts (plus there is an option to use "no-borders" Hatari emu itself). I tried messing with them for a bit but with no real effect.

EDIT: Ha...just as I posted it I've tried again and got onto something: chose both show "borders" and "fullscreen" options. This produces nicely scaled image which fits horizontal nearly perfect. But - there are borders on top and bottom. So my additional question also is, what was a real ST display like on a CRT? Were there borders or was the whole screen filled?

Hatari has a number screen size options you can play with to try to get the results you want. I used to be annoyed with the way it scaled its TV/scanline output, but I recently tried different values and got a picture I am satisfied with. Not sure how this will work on a TV, but it's worth a shot

Ran a real ST on a TV for awhile until I got my color monitor. Yes, there were borders

Hatari has a number screen size options you can play with to try to get the results you want.

I spent several afternoons trying to get it right, to no avail - hence the OP. It's a similar case with Amiga, there are too many variables. The fact that I'm using an NTSC TV may (or may not) be another factor.

Do you mean you display on a CRT monitor now? If so, could you post the values you used for both video sections in Hatari?

I'd also appreciate if somebody using a CRT, preferably with real ST, could post a screen or two from any game - I'd love to see how did it look in reality.