IGNORED

Interview with John Champeau Part 1

classicgamer74

In the latest episode I interview John Champeau (or as we call him JohnnyC). It was a real privilege to be able to speak to one of the best programmers around. This part 1 or 2. Please don't forget to vote for the best hacks, homebrews and demos in this year's Atari Awards. Stay tuned for Part 2 coming in a few days.

Thanks again, John.

• Like 12

Great interview. I was just commenting on facebook last week how much fun Johns DOS ports were and still are today. I dare say they are some of the best ports ever made. The Champ versions of games like Galaxia and Centiped-em are perfect examples of taking an existing game and tweaking it just a bit to add extra features without drastically altering the original game. And Mappy? Man what a fantastic 2600 port.

• Like 1

Great interview. I was just commenting on facebook last week how much fun Johns DOS ports were and still are today. I dare say they are some of the best ports ever made. The Champ versions of games like Galaxia and Centiped-em are perfect examples of taking an existing game and tweaking it just a bit to add extra features without drastically altering the original game. And Mappy? Man what a fantastic 2600 port.

I agree. I was totally blown away by Mappy. I loved that game when I was a kid. I think I spent many weeks' allowance plugging quarters into that game! The Famicom port of it was good, but John's is still the best.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

In the latest episode I interview John Champeau (or as we call him JohnnyC). It was a real privilege to be able to speak to one of the best programmers around. This part 1 or 2. Please don't forget to vote for the best hacks, homebrews and demos in this year's Atari Awards. Stay tuned for Part 2 coming in a few days.
Thanks again, John.

I just came across this thread, thanks everyone for the kind words! Thanks especially to Anthony for putting this interview together - it was a pleasure getting an opportunity to speak to you about all things Atari! :)

Great interview. Nice to know that John and I liked the same arcade games BITD. Might have something to do with our age, as I’m 51 too.

Thanks Steve! Being 12 in 1980 was IMO the best age to be to experience classic video games when they were first becoming popular. Good timing - we were very lucky! ;)

Thanks Jeremy! I miss the old days of CHAMProgramming back in the 90's... making those games were some of the best times! I'm glad I've been able to find a new way to continue to bring these kind of games to more players through 2600 programming with games like Lady Bug, Scramble and Mappy!

Oh, there can be a major visual update for the game. Look at the Intellivision Bowling game and you have to wonder if something like that could be done on the 2600 with added resources.

It's funny you should mention Intellivision Bowling; that is exactly what I was envisioning as far as a Champ Sports Bowling would be!

I love the sound of John Champeau's original game idea. I hope he gets to make it one day.

Thanks! I have the original design for Mountain Raider (from 1982) and I spent some time back in 2007 fleshing out a more realistic design (based on my knowledge of the 2600). I hope to finish this someday soon!

John mentioned he started a hockey game for the Atari 2600?! Activision did the only version, but I would love to see what he comes up with that would probably top it. I can only hope he goes back to it and the other sports titles!

Activision's Hockey is one of my all time favorite sports games for the 2600 and the original driving force behind making a new hockey would be to expand upon the original but add things like more players, larger scrolling rink, team editor, playoff-type tournaments, etc. A focus on making it more like pro hockey but keep the 'pick up and play' arcade feel of the original.

I recently posted some screenshots of hockey (after 15 years lol) on the Champ Games Facebook page to gauge interest in a new hockey, and a whole Champ Sports line of sports games for the 2600. These are very rough (this was started when I was first learning 2600 programming) so there is major room for improvement, but it gives you an idea of the direction we're taking.

post-30-0-50526600-1550691575_thumb.pngpost-30-0-25860800-1550691583_thumb.png

Thanks again to everyone for your interest and support - it's much appreciated!

John

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 5

Those screen shots of hockey look awesome! Please try to put an actual goal on screen instead of a black box like Activision used. This would make it more realistic! :) Maybe re-consider 20 min periods may be too long (see Intellivisions NHL Hockey). Maybe you just have a sped up 20 min or an option to set the period length?

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

Those screen shots of hockey look awesome! Please try to put an actual goal on screen instead of a black box like Activision used. This would make it more realistic! :)

Thanks! Here's what I have so far, but this was put together over 15 years ago so I'm sure we can do better. :)

post-30-0-10458200-1550758610_thumb.png

Maybe re-consider 20 min periods may be too long (see Intellivisions NHL Hockey). Maybe you just have a sped up 20 min or an option to set the period length?

We will probably have a combination of both; a sped up timer plus the ability to set the period length (see screenshot above). Thanks for the suggestions!

Is Hockey using a DPC, I assume? Looks great so far.

The screenshots are from 2004, long before DPC+ was available, so it's currently just using straight up assembly. However, the plan is to use the DPC to add for improved graphics and more features (speech, tournaments, savekey, team editor, configurable rules (time/period, penalties, offsides, 2-line passes, icing, pulling the goalie, etc). :D

• Like 3

Thanks! Here's what I have so far, but this was put together over 15 years ago so I'm sure we can do better. :)

attachicon.gifchamp_hockey_c2004_build9_2.png

We will probably have a combination of both; a sped up timer plus the ability to set the period length (see screenshot above). Thanks for the suggestions!

The screenshots are from 2004, long before DPC+ was available, so it's currently just using straight up assembly. However, the plan is to use the DPC to add for improved graphics and more features (speech, tournaments, savekey, team editor, configurable rules (time/period, penalties, offsides, 2-line passes, icing, pulling the goalie, etc). :D

I have a suggestion about the game title. Since there was only 1 hockey game for the Atari 2600 and it was made by Activision, why not continue the tradition of Atari Sports games and call it "Real Sports Hockey?" I know someone used that moniker for the Atari 5200 when someone programmed curling. Just a thought! Thanks for all you do for the Atari 2600 community!

I have a suggestion about the game title. Since there was only 1 hockey game for the Atari 2600 and it was made by Activision, why not continue the tradition of Atari Sports games and call it "Real Sports Hockey?" I know someone used that moniker for the Atari 5200 when someone programmed curling. Just a thought! Thanks for all you do for the Atari 2600 community!

I agree. He could use the same style of label like the original games.

Thanks for the suggestions! Although I like the idea of calling it Realsports Hockey, I do have plans on releasing other sports games as well (baseball, football, basketball, soccer, bowling, etc.) and would like them all to be part of the Champ Sports series. I guess we'll see if I ever get to the point of having a playable game and then we can worry about naming it :D

Thanks again!

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to the bowling and basketball games. Since RS Basketball didn't get released. Although I really liked Atari Bowling, I'd like to see how you can make a better game. Are you going to utilize the trackball like some arcade games did?

Thanks! Yeah, an updated bowling would be cool - the original is one of my favorites! I was thinking it would be modeled after Intellivision Bowling which I think was a great game! Having a more advanced basketball game would be cool too... I really liked the original but it would be nice to have a few more options than 1 on 1 full court :).