IGNORED

256 color CLUT

I am currently working on a boxing game project. Unlike my prior releases I want to take advantage of 8 bit color sprites and use 1 256 color CLUT for all of the characters. I understand that if I wish to use text in this project I will need to convert the text object into either a 16 bit or 8 bit sprite as well. That is not an issue and should be simple enough. As I understand it once you set up the game to use 8 bit graphics theres no longer the option to use 4 bit as the 16 CLUTS of 16 colors are all used up to make up the 256 color pallette. What I want to know is can't I just put a graphic containing 256 color squares and add that to the assets file then assign that graphic with all the squares in it a CLUT number in the .bas (clut 0?)? Then all of my 8 bit sprites should also be set to CLUT 0 in the object list or no_CLUT? I would think it would need to be 0 in order to call upon the 256 colors I chose. Also lets say I did do the graphic of the 256 colored sqaures, I still want black to be the transparent color, does a little black sqaure need to be in all 4 corners of said graphic for it to recognize this as the default transparency color?

I'm a little confused about this and any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

post-45896-0-16658000-1549592335_thumb.png

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Check out this post where I tried to explain graphically what happens. In general you can think of 256 colours as 16 palettes of 16 colours each. So for example if you assign the particle/text layer to use CLUT (palette) 15 then you need to make sure that the last 16 colours (240-255) have the colour indexes of the font you're going to use.

Try a 256 colour tool like Grafx2 or Pro Motion that have palette editing features so you can see what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Im curious about this boxing project you are working on. What will the game mechanics be like? Will you be doing a third-person, Punch Out style game or something more akin to James Buster Douglas Knock Out Boxing for Sega Genesis?

It will be Super Punch Out style and hopefully have a working combo system similar to Killer Instinct arcade. Getting the 256 color pallette to work the way I want is a very important key to this games success. If done right the 10 characters that will be in the game will look better and have way more frames of animation than the characters in my JagZombies game.

This will likely be the ONLY game I work on or release this year.

post-45896-0-79701700-1550632445_thumb.jpg

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 2

Here is a tad more info on the project. The 10 PLANNED characters are listed below. These are the characters planned. It may turn out that not all will make it to the final cut but there will definitely not be any more added to the list.

Skylar (custom edited sprites)

Bentley Bear. (Sprites from custom 3d model)

JagZombies Male Zombie

Alien Xenomorph knockoff. ( knock of due to copywrite)

Predator knockoff character (knock off due to copywrite)

JagZombies Female Zombie

Blizzard (sprites from custom 3d model)

Jagmania Man (custom 3d model of Jagmania character)

JagZombies BATLORD

Jeffrey Johnson (Myself digitally captured MK style)

• 2 weeks later...

Just about a week ago on his Youtube page, he was telling someone that he would have something to show soon. Oh well...

attachicon.gif58DDE5A6-BBC7-4E7A-97AE-3FB032CF5A00.png

I haven't posted yet because what I have isn't ready to be seen. I assure you this is not a Vladr project but a WAVE 1 GAMES project and I will have preview videos soon and a physical release some time this year.

• Like 1

I’m just interested in your project. While I will admit that I am not fimiliar with all your games, I do know about Ants, Fast Food Holiday Edition and JagZombies.

I haven't posted yet because what I have isn't ready to be seen. I assure you this is not a Vladr project but a WAVE 1 GAMES project and I will have preview videos soon and a physical release some time this year.