IGNORED

New game - Stratego

Vorticon

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, Wellington will resign if it does not have any good moves left or if all of its moveable pieces are dead.

Looking at your screenshot, you likely have 6 bombs and the flag, and the only piece that could move is the second one from the left on the second row. You have it surrounded with a major and general and it's likely a lesser piece, so any move it makes will get it killed in the next turn. Wellington resigns in this case.

Well played :)

My current game is not going as well, unfortunately...

post-25753-0-09989500-1550782916_thumb.gif

• Like 1

I was introduced to this game in the local Boys' Club when I was growing up. It was actually a pretty busy place back then, although when I went by to look at it a couple of years ago, it doesn't have much foot traffic at all anymore. . .but at least it is still there, unlike most of the other places I hung out in when I was younger!

• Like 1

It's definitely a classic here. I know it and my kids know it and we play it quite often. This is what the Danish box looks like.

Can you take a picture of the pieces? The first version of Stratego I bought while living in France had round towers with the graphics of the officers printed on them. No stickers and such. I found it much more pleasing than the current versions.

Edit: Never mind. Your box seems to be one of the newer versions. Mine was from the late 70's :)

• 1 month later...

With the help of Senior Falcon and his outstanding XB compiler, we were able to get Stratego to compile! Along the way, both the game and the compiler were enhanced, so make sure you check out the latest version of the latter, ISABELLA 2.0, under the XB development thread.

Now, Stratego runs over 6x faster, with an average response time of 10 seconds only, and it gets shorter as the number of units dwindles! The AI has been beefed up as well since compilation freed up more memory, and I even managed to uncover a couple of deep bugs within the depth of that complex code.

The game is now far more playable from a time-requirement standpoint, and I'm very pleased with the end-product. :)

• Like 5

Damn, I tried it out a day too early :) I spent most of yesterday enjoying the TI's seemingly exhaustive calculations...

This was the go to when I was in middle school, for myself and one of my rare TI buddies. After we'd get tired of trying to make progress with the adventure editor, we'd fail over to his Stratego board.

Nostalgia at every turn on this forum!

-M@

No idea how to create a Modul ( :) ) for this game. It loads 3 program files sequentially from disk and saves/reads data to/from disk. If someone has any suggestions I am happy to work on it.

That was one of the reasons I was pushing you to compile this. Once you know how, it is not difficult to have one compiled program load and run another. It really opens up a whole range of possibilities.

Cart+Disk (Tunnels of Doom style)?

I think that would defeat the purpose of a cart unless multiple scenarios need to be loaded like TOD, which is not the case here. If the disk system is going to be used, one might as well just have everything on the disk. I have to admit that it would be cool though!