IGNORED

Flash Image won't work - Atarimax Cartridge

OmaOhneBH

Hi folks, I tried to flash this ATR flash image to an Atarimax 8Mbit cartridge (via SIO2PC-USB, I got no programmer) - all I get is "Unable to detect flash cartridge." All other ATR flash images I tried do work, on the same cartridge, no problems at all! I even tried several other 8Mbit cartridges - the same result.

The thing is, a few months ago, I succesfully flashed a cartridge with the said ATR flash image - I've got no clue why it doesn't work anymore, strange! Anybody?

Yeah, I do hold down the OPTION key in order to get the ATR flash image started.

When should I do hotswapping? I never get the option to start flashing any cartridge, no matter which cartridge I try, it's always the same: "Unable to detect flash cartridge." But I can flawlessly flash each of those cartridges with any other ATR flash image.

Sometimes folks get an older flasher version that doesn't work too well with newer carts... haven't looked but rdea6 might have uploaded the cart with newer flasher.

when hot swapping, clean cartridge fingers and cartridge port connector is key.

when inserting hot, the cart should be lined up ahead of time and inserted on an ever so slight angle, the insertion should be smooth and relatively quick. Once you get the knack of it you can pull it off just about every time.

• Like 1

I'm guessing because there were two different hardware versions of the 8mbit flash carts (different flash chips), so maybe the loader on that particular ATR is the older one that doesn't support the newer chip.

So, like you did, booting an image newer loader, then swapping the disk to the actual code would seem to be why it worked.

• Like 1

Checked some AtariMax Flasher ATR's in Altirra to see the versions...

Old (found in your ATR)

ATARIMAX Flash Utility Build 08152009
Copyright 2009 Steven J Tucker
vs new: (found in another flash utility ATR I checked)

ATARIMAX Flash Utility Build 04072012
Copyright 2012 Steven J Tucker
post-53052-0-76781200-1549645044.png post-53052-0-75616700-1549645056.png

Maybe there's other versions, but your findings indicate most probably the 2009 version doesn't support the newer flash. I flashed it to a virtual 8Mb flash cartridge in Altirra, and it worked after reset as well:

post-53052-0-35083000-1549645071.png

I then saved the resulting virtual 8Mb flash cartridge to a ROM file with Altirra, in case anyone else is interested in using this in a convenient format for the Ultimate cartridge, emulator, etc, attached.

KONA 63on1.rom

• Like 1